WHOOPS! That was kinda awesome.... - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-06-2006, 09:57 PM

Last journal entry: Suicide doors
Wiki Edits: 0

WHOOPS! That was kinda awesome....

Just got finished talking to the guy who tore down my old 327. He had bought it after I took it out to replace it. It had just "clunked" and died at about 30mph driving it as usual a few months back.

Umm... I didn't take the oil pan off or anything for fear of seeing what was inside. When it made the "clunk... seize..." sound I just knew it was gone. Don't know why, just did. I had this gut feeling about it. Also, without taking the pan off, I could sell the motor "AS-IS UNKNOWN CONDITION" I did explain the noise it made and how it seemed like it seized up thoroughly to the buyer.

He tore it apart last night and realized what the slight problem was. He started with draining the oil, still was full. He said when it came out the oil looked silver, there were so many metal shavings. He was then kinda scared since he wanted to rebuild this motor easily. Remember, I told him I thought it was something major... and I'm just a newbie!

Slid the oil pan and off and gasket that had been on there for 15 years. Oh! What? Wait? A 2-piece crank... sweet!

Well that would explain why the harmonic balancer turned but not the starter.

Where did all those metal shavings come from? What is that rod thingy that shoved through the block on the inside? (not poking out of the outside of the motor). Kinda sweet.

Well the block is ruined.

WHOA! What's that? A three piece camshaft? I need to get a patent on this one! (Please guys, tell me how I managed to snap the cam cleanly in three pieces)

Lets take the heads off... What's this? A snapped pushrod? Sweet!!!

Two more were so bent they had to be cut to slide out of the heads.

Again, what's this? Oh! The disconnected piston collided with the valves on the #3 cylinder. That head is f$$ked!

I've witnessed these parts in person. Please tell me how I managed to do this? The oil pump is fine and the distributer rod was still installed and in place.

I am amazed. The entire motor is ruined. The block is destroyed, the crank is in two pieces, the camshaft is in three pieces. The heads needed rebuilt but are now totally messed up, and the pushrods/lifters are ruined.

I'm sure glad I traded it for a 79' 350 before tearing it down, which I was considering doing. I was just hoping I hadn't been ripped off when it left in his truck. I think I got the better end of the deal. He knew it had unknown problems, but insisted it would probably be fine. I guess that's what you get when you are presuming things like that.

I think it just decided to not love itself anymore!

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-06-2006, 10:32 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Carburetor
Last journal entry: Clean up
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 3

ha ha, that's a funny story! Those of us who have been buying parts for some time know that "untested" or "unknown" means "broke, but i hope to sell it anyway."

Nice one man!

K
Old 03-06-2006, 11:24 PM
Gone fishin'

Last wiki edit: Removing stuck fasteners
Last journal entry: blah.......again
Wiki Edits: 2

Wow, If I was that guy, I would be super ticked off. I hope he didn't pay you to much for an engine thats completly useless like that.
Thats why you should always know what your buying before you buy it.

Brad
Old 03-07-2006, 06:08 AM

Last journal entry: Suicide doors

He KNEW it was untested, KNEW I wasn't going to tear it down and look at it, and KNEW the reason it was being sold and how it had made bad clunking sounds, etc before seizing.

He isn't pissed off, just annoyed with himself that he hadn't of looked it over better. He still says it wasn't too bad a deal... straight trade for a perfectly running 350.
Old 03-07-2006, 06:56 AM

Re: WHOOPS!

Hey Drew , Maybe you should oughta give him his old engine back ?
Old 03-07-2006, 07:09 AM
Member# 3287

Last journal entry: Vortec Heads
Last photo:

I'm wondering what caused all that damage. All I can think of is that the crank broke and one end kept turning and snapped the cam, etc, etc.
Old 03-07-2006, 07:13 AM
Blowin' it

Last wiki edit: Choosing a trailer
Last journal entry: Running again...
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by WakBordr7387
Wow, If I was that guy, I would be super ticked off. I hope he didn't pay you to much for an engine thats completly useless like that.
Thats why you should always know what your buying before you buy it.

Brad
It's not completely useless, if he has a boat....
Old 03-07-2006, 07:18 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last journal entry: PICTURE TEST
Last photo:

engine

Cool story,,,

I just put you on my list of people to never buy parts from......

Keith
Old 03-07-2006, 07:35 AM
... & Insanity Ensues .....

Last wiki edit: The FREE T Bucket plans Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 22

not that i support this sort of stuff, but that IS what you get when you buy an engine that made a clunk and then came to an instant stop

its kinda like knowingly buying an engine thats sat outside for 10 years ... assume its scrap, and pay for it by the pound, that way you break even when it goes to the scrap yard
Old 03-07-2006, 09:01 AM

Last wiki edit: AMC V-8s Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 14

Right. I don't think anyone got cheated. The buyer took a risk and knew it. Probably didn't have much in the 350 that was traded, or didn't have a need for it. I've bought things like that before, but usually take stock of the parts that are definitely useable, then the "maybes" before deciding on a price.

I got snookered by some old geezer who sold me a car with a bad rod AND KNEW IT! He was a small engine mechanic. I bought the car not running (first mistake!). He'd had someone who was going to buy it start to replace the timing chain then quit in the middle of the job. The problem he told me it had was definitely timing related, but I rightly guessed it was collapsed valves (82 AMC six that sat a long time). I replaced the lifters and finished the timng chain, and it started right up. That's when I knew I'd been had! Sounded like someone inside with a 2# shop hammer having a field day! There's no way even a small engine mechanic wouldn't know that was a rod about to come loose! It was so bad at fast idle that a neighbor came running across his yard hollering that i'd better shut it off! I was seriously thinking about putting a brick on the gas pedal instead. But I shut it off.

Pulled the pan a couple weeks later. The #1 rod bearing had about 0.080" wear in it. I put a 0.060" over bearing in since I had it apart and it was cheap -- STILL knocked a very noticeable amount. Thought I might be able to dump the car cheap if it was just a light knock -- $250 and someone would drive it for 4-6 months I wouldn't feel guilty about. Instead I drove it 10 miles to the junkyard and got my $75 flat rate for being able to drive it in. The junk yard owner wasn't to happy, but they advertise $75 if you drive in, $25 we pick up for any whole car (had to have a motor in it for weight). That one went straight to the crusher, and needed to be there! I'll have to remember the golden rule: never buy something not running! I gave $400 for the car, and spent another $75 or so in parts.
Old 03-07-2006, 09:33 AM

Last photo:

will be removing a very tired 302 out of the 46 this weekend.....this thing has sounded like the pistons want to swap holes since i got it(long story)...and i have put about 15k on it.....ought to be an interesting teardown
Old 03-07-2006, 09:41 AM
Race it, Don't rice it!

Last photo:

Not always true!

I bought a 71 camaro a few years abck that had some "head damage". The valves must need work or the engine was just junk.

After I got it home I reset the dist and drove it for the next few months before selling the body for parts and using the engine for a another project that I eventually drove on the street for three years than used the same engine for a back up engine in a dirt car. Still together. Still running. All for $20.
Old 03-07-2006, 03:18 PM
eat a beaver, save a tree

Last photo:

this guy brought in a chevy truck to my buddy's shop & wanted to replace the 350 that was in it for a junk yard 350. my buddy never asked the first question about it because the guy already had the 350 he wanted to put in it. he changed them out & it still ran like crap. put new gas in it & it was fixed. the truck had sit for about 10 years before he got it. bad gas? duh

my buddy gave me the 350 he took out. i took it apart to find a 4 bolt main block, double hump heads, comp roller tip rockers, comp 278 cam, & a perfect crank, rods, & pistons.

i sold everything for right at $600 bucks on ebay.

"sweet"

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.