Whos got the best gas? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-23-2010, 12:45 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

Whos got the best gas?

I expect this is probably an exersize in futility. But I was just considering the need for better gas in our collective endevors and curious if it might be possible to come up with some sort of consensus.

Chevron, Conoco, Flying J.. ??? I expect this will be very subjective and probably varys with geography. What say you?

Since My rod is still in project mode, Im afraid I dont have much usefull to add, my HHR and Cummins pickup get fed a lot of Maverick fuel..

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-23-2010, 12:49 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 65smallblock
I expect this is probably an exersize in futility. But I was just considering the need for better gas in our collective endevors and curious if it might be possible to come up with some sort of consensus.

Chevron, Conoco, Flying J.. ??? I expect this will be very subjective and probably varys with geography. What say you?

Since My rod is still in project mode, Im afraid I dont have much usefull to add, my HHR and Cummins pickup get fed a lot of Maverick fuel..
as bad as it sounds the best fuels are the name brand fuels. i prefer a fuel without additives but that's like trying to find a B-Body rotor these days almost impossible...
Old 07-23-2010, 01:07 PM

Last photo:

Well since we both live in Utah this info may help. About a year ago I was filling up at the Texaco station at exit 42. A "Dats" Gas tanker truck pulls in and while the driver is hooking up to pump I slithered (as compared to mosey)on over and asked a couple of questions.

He picks up gas in Las Vegas, he says the 87 octane from there is actually more like 89 and the 91 is like 93...which is good!! But up north it comes from somewhere else and the octane is what the pump says...87 is 87. He also said that besides Texaco he delivers the same gas and diesel to Maverick, Loves and a couple of other independents.

He said the most important thing for car owners is to wait a couple of hours after the tanker has left before they fill up. Not only do get fresh gas but whatever sediment that was in the storage tank has had time to settle back down. When I asked about the filtering system he said something to the effect...well yea, the gas is filtered BUT the filters aren't always changed regularly. Food for though...for everyone.
Old 07-23-2010, 04:32 PM

Last photo:

It's probably the same up there as it is down here. We only have two refineries here, but somewhere between 5 and 10 different brand-name stations. I forgot what the exact name was, but it's like "product trade", where one refinery supplies other brand-name stations with gas here, but in another state, it might be the exact opposite...depending on the location of the refinery, and the "competition's" stations. Just that each brand has their own additives etc., and is usually mixed at the refinery. Otherwise my guess is the "basic" fuel (before additives) is pretty much the same across the board.
Old 07-23-2010, 04:45 PM
Home School Valedictorian

Last wiki edit: Health and safety in the shop or garage Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 4

I buy mine from one of these listed: http://www.toptiergas.com/retailers.html
Old 07-23-2010, 05:06 PM

VP Racing fuels Just kidding,i use Sunoco 94 here in Canada.
Old 07-23-2010, 05:51 PM
Out of the Loop Moderator

Last wiki edit: Streetbeasts links
Last journal entry: at car show
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 5

I have been playing this fuel game for years.....When I used to tow a house trailer, I found that the brand names seemed to get me a bit better mileage.....that was in the late 90s.......Last winter, I drove our minivan to Arizona and tried many different brands from all dealers...brand name and no name such as Flying J etc.....It seemed to make no difference.

A friend of mine sells gas and oil for a living....He says that they buy from whoever gives them the best price....even though the company hails the shell banner

Budget RVs
Old 07-23-2010, 06:12 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 65smallblock

Here in the Puget Sound area I find that Chevron and Union 76 take the most squeeze without pinging. Shell and Citgo are also common to the area; Citgo aways rattled in the headers, old Shell was pretty ping resistant but their new "nitrogen" detergent formulation smells bad going in, irritates my skin, and rattles the headers.

Bogie
Old 07-23-2010, 06:35 PM
my KARMA ran over my DOGMA

Last journal entry: SS
Last photo:

How does 10% ethanol effect the octane characteristics and burn quality of fuel in a performance motor? we have a station brand that mixes in the 10% and also claims 91 octane for mid grade "mother natures gas station" is there kicker... just curious thanks
Old 07-23-2010, 06:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1ownerT
I buy mine from one of these listed: http://www.toptiergas.com/retailers.html
Use Top Tier Gas!!!
Old 07-23-2010, 06:40 PM

Last photo:

the base gas is all the same and stored in bulk tanks and shipped where needed by pipeline , its the additive package thats added at the fuel terminals that makes it different for the stations , here in Illlinois , you can get 2 types of 93 octane , one with a Mbte additive ( which Bp uses exclusively) or ethanol. the only companies around here that have there own private stock is Mobil ,shell and Bp , and the trucks they ship it in is only to be used to deliver to there gas stations from there terminals off there pipelines ( except shell ) , otherwise its who has the cheapest price on the gas thru a brokerage , I have delivered gas from the mobil terminal to loves , pilot , shell stations ( which recently has stopped as there urea "nitrogen enriched "gas is now there trucks only) and a host of others, the big groups like pilot buy from the cheapest seller of the day and they buy lots of it ( 15-20,000 gallons a day x the ammount of stations ) sinclair I understand uses only there own products . I hauled gas off a chevron account here in chicago and theres no chevron stations and I picked it up at a bulk terminal that has no chevron products .. its all a paper game , buy and sell . as for quality of gas , well it all has to meet a minimum standard , I had one customer that needed 92 octane gas , and they tested it before you put it inot there tank , so the supplier always got us 93 octane to makesure that any heals from a previous load would not lower the value , there is always a heel unless you let the trailer drain fro a hour after the last liquid was dropped , sometimes in the fall you will geta load of gas at a station that smells funny from the truck previously hauling fuel oil or kerosene .
Old 07-23-2010, 07:09 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Custom10
How does 10% ethanol effect the octane characteristics and burn quality of fuel in a performance motor? we have a station brand that mixes in the 10% and also claims 91 octane for mid grade "mother natures gas station" is there kicker... just curious thanks
We've been on 10% ethanol for the better part of 30 years, it's not enough to make any difference to octane rating nor is it enough to affect fuel mileage. They use it as an oxygenate in place of MTBE and similar nasty compounds here in Washington state. Our choices on the west side of the mountains is 87 regular, 89 mid grade, and 91, sometimes 92, high grade.

My Franken-mouse 350 powered S-15 runs a shade over 10 to 1 static with aluminum heads with an optimize squish/quench distance of .039 inch. It does fine on Chevron and Union 91 octane in the summer, that can be cut back to 89 in the winter with no degrade in performance, at 87 octane any time of the year the detonation sensor light comes on, the engine will tolerate it but with the computer pulling advance out you can feel the loss of power. With Citgo and nitrogen Shell you hear a lot of talk in the headers with their 91 at cruise or a light pull but it quiets down when you get on it which shows the richer mixture silents any detonation and the ping light doesn't come on so the detonation sensor isn't hearing anything. The ping light doesn't come on with 91 Citgo or Shell but I don't like hearing the headers ring so I only use that stuff when Chevron or Union aren't available at feeding times.

Bogie
Old 07-24-2010, 01:28 PM
Boost Retard

Last photo:

Actually, when we went to the 10% ethanol a couple of years ago it was pretty easy to see an MPG difference between that stuff and "all gas." Ethanol has less energy in it, and you could even calculate the MPG difference because of it and it works out very close to that.

Unfortunatly around here you can't seem to get anything but 10% ethanol now.

Octane should meet at least the rating on the pump, and that being the case, as long as your car runs well on that number it shouldn't matter. I've had a few higher compression iron headed engines and a turbocharged engine (FI for all of them) that I could document that the MPG increase running premium was bigger than the extra cost of the stuff.

Otherwise, when it comes down to it there's very few additive manufacturers (supposedly 2 main ones for oil, similar for gas) and nothing says that the logo on the pump means that it came from a refinery with the same logo, so most of the difference from station to station is mostly just your imagination. It's unlikely for the brand to make any real difference, but the individual station might (some might be more likely to have water get in their tanks, might have more trash in them, maintain their pumps/filters better, be stricter with their deliveries and even not tend to let their tanks run as low between refills.
Old 07-24-2010, 02:57 PM
Semper Gumby

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 2

Best gas???

I did a bunch of research on this a few years ago - so the results are likely not valid now anyways!

The key things are "how old is the gas?" and "which brand is more stable?"

If you could fill up with fresh newly refined gas at the refinery - then they all about the same. Every brand has different formulas for additives but no major issues with very fresh gas.

However, all gas deteriorates over time (ever smelled the stuff that's been in the tank for few years on a "stored" car?)

in fact it begins to deteriorate as soon as it is made - so - how long was it in the big storage tanks at the refinery before it went into the truck? And how long was it in the tanks at the gas station? How long has it been in the tank of your car?

As to which one is most stable-when I did the research, of the major brands, it was Chevron, with Shell being worst - seems Chevron's additive package led (then) to the best "shelf life" , while Shell's was horrifically unstable from the get-go. (which explains some of the issues I have had over the years on Shell. Right now,for myself - (your results may vary!) I'd push my car for 5 miles before I'd put Shell in it)

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.