Why are '54 chevy sedans hard to find - Page 3 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Hotrodding Basics
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-31-2004, 05:19 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

Okay cool. Too bad thats quite a long drive for me though.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-01-2005, 08:10 AM

i'm a 49-52 man. 49 & 50 being my favorites. the torque tube was a good strong rear, but your limited with gearing & trans. choices. swapping a later open drive rearend is no big deal. they already have a good IFS with all parts to rebuild being available including disc brake conversions & they can be lowered. no need for mus. II or subframe. i'm also a stovebolt six fan so of course these cars are perfect for me, but if you like those V-things that's easy enough also. after all the 49-54 chassis is the same as was used under the early corvettes.

BTW, you won't need to reinforce the frame. the frame rail was like an upside down u-shaped channel with a plate welded to the bottom. it's already a box tube affair. back in the 1920's & 30's chev. body was a wooden frame with a steel skin. so by '54, chev. was already in the habit of building a stout frame. that's why chev. was more popular down here in the southern part of the states as the roads weren't all that great.

Last edited by bluechev; 01-01-2005 at 08:10 AM.
Old 01-01-2005, 05:40 PM

You don't think I need to box/reinforce the frame? If not then that will save me a lot of work!
thanks!
Old 01-02-2005, 02:08 AM

Last wiki edit: AMC V-8s Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 14

Like bluechev says, the frame is already boxed from the factory! They called it a "torque box frame". Really strong. I don't know where guys get off thinking everything should be replaced with a Mustang II IFS! I run across that all the time since I work mostly with the older AMCs. They are a bit different, but are still plenty strong and usually better than an MII. MIIs are popular, but not necessarily better. Unless there is a good reason to change the front end (building a tube frame, parts not available, or solid axle) you're usually wasting money and time.
Old 01-02-2005, 04:00 AM
Chopper Builder o<>\o

Last journal entry: Dash Removal
Last photo:

My brother use to have a bunch of 53 and 54 chevys. He was into the 4 door versions. When they're fixed up they look really nice. He still has alot of parts for them in the backyard, including several closed end driveshafts mentioned in earlier posts.
My brother bought this 53 chevy for $100 back in the early 80's and sold it for $1500. Was easy to work on.

Old 01-02-2005, 09:52 AM

Last journal entry: 1940 toy wagon
Last photo:

54 chevys

You know you can take a 4dr and with a little work can make a real nice 2dr out of it. We made many of them back in the 60s. Nothing is hard to do, only takes some time. They also look cool by making the rear doors open up suiside style.
Old 01-02-2005, 10:36 AM
Come Home Safe Soldier

Last journal entry: Headers
Last photo:

Because Them thar Duke Boys jumped them across that creek too many times.Sorry,Could not let that oppurtunity pass me by.
Old 01-02-2005, 10:37 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by farna
L I don't know where guys get off thinking everything should be replaced with a Mustang II IFS! I run across that all the time since I work mostly with the older AMCs. They are a bit different, but are still plenty strong and usually better than an MII. MIIs are popular, but not necessarily better. Unless there is a good reason to change the front end (building a tube frame, parts not available, or solid axle) you're usually wasting money and time.
i guess it's for the same reason you saw a lot of street rods back in the 70's with a jag IRS in the back & a straight axle in the front!! follow the leader & keep up with the jones. probably the same reason most guys won't consider using any thing other than a small block chevy for a powerplant.
the transmission cross member does have to replaced with something that's removeable ( the original isn't ) to run a modern auto or standard trans.
Old 01-02-2005, 03:51 PM
Running on empty

Last journal entry: More pics
Last photo:

My frirst car was a 54 belair drop top. 235 blueflame shaved head, 3/4 cam, twin 2 barrels and split exhaust. Oh to have her back.
Anyway, to answer your ?. Here in the north east on any friday or saturday night you could see a number of 53-54 chevys. Heres one that Itried buying before he did this it, the car was cherry, but nooooooo, he had to do it.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	#37.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	37.5 KB
ID:	3519  
Old 01-02-2005, 04:08 PM

it does seem like a sad waste but that's got to be the meanest looking 54 chevy i've ever seen!!
Old 01-02-2005, 04:49 PM
Young & Idealistic

Last wiki edit: How to rebuild an engine
Last journal entry: 1950 Fargo - losing hope
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 4

Iwantolearn, where about are you in canada? I know a place in Winnipeg with two 53's and one 54. They're pretty rough but not impossible. All glass and trim is still there, just old. Engines and interior are shot. Some rust on them too.

Mike
Old 01-02-2005, 10:39 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Nightfire
Iwantolearn, where about are you in canada? I know a place in Winnipeg with two 53's and one 54. They're pretty rough but not impossible. All glass and trim is still there, just old. Engines and interior are shot. Some rust on them too.

Mike
To bad I wasn't closer... I live in British Columbia. How far driving distance do you think it would be from B.C. to Winnipeg? Quite a few hours I would guess...
Thanks!!
Old 01-02-2005, 11:05 PM
oldsmobile compatible

Last wiki edit: Selling your car Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 29

Fewer Chevys (Bel-Air) were produced in 54 than in 55,6,7.
Here are the numbers:

53: 514 760
54: 486 240
55: 773 238
56: 669 064
57: 702 220

Source: Automobiles of the Fifties, 1993, Publications International Ltd.

54's numbers are not significantly lower but I guess it still makes them that much harder to find.

btw, Winnipeg is a good two day drive from Vancouver. Three if you're driving a 68 VW bug with no heat in the a cold snap in December. Trust me I know

Paul.
Old 01-03-2005, 12:40 AM
stuff'n things'n whatnot

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally posted by Iwanttolearn
How far driving distance do you think it would be from B.C. to Winnipeg?
P.G. to brandon M.B. (just north of winnipeg) has been done in 17-18 hours straight through, not necessarily adhering the the speed limit Occasionally a 53-54 pops up in the paper around here, I'll keep an eye open.
Old 01-03-2005, 08:44 AM

Last journal entry: 1940 toy wagon
Last photo:

54 chevy

Come on you all, 54 chevys are not hard at all to customize or rod.I think what are problem is today is that with some money you just buy a bolt on part. No one has to think about how to build something from scratch, and this has taken the fun out of street rods and customs.Any car even if its a 4dr can be made into show car and a great driver. Use your imagination, and dont try to copy everyone else.

Recent Hotrodding Basics posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.