Why backpressure? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-05-2008, 07:59 PM
drive it like you stole it

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Why backpressure?

OK I know
I'm sure this has been discussed and argued and ran over
I just,,,, for some reason,,,,can't get it.
All the drag cars I see run open header,,,,now I can see header primary size beeing important and I understand the scavaging effect.
But how can full exhaust help your motor,,,,mine seems to run alot better w/ the y-pipes uncapped.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-05-2008, 08:03 PM
Senior Curmudgeon

Last wiki edit: DynoSim combinations Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 326

I don't know who is saying a full exhaust will help, but they're all wet.
Old 11-05-2008, 08:15 PM

Last photo:

LOL,,,I've heard people argue over pipe size....2 1/4 or 2 1/2.
Why isn't bigger better after the header?
Old 11-05-2008, 08:47 PM

Last photo:

it comes down to Exhaust Gas Velocity. as each cylinder fires it produces a pulse of exhaust gasses which travel down the header tube and meet up with the other cylinders. Cubic Inch, RPM, and load will all affect the size and width of these pulses

As each pulse travels down the tube it creates a low pressure zone behind it. when the pulse exits the exhaust tube atmospheric pressure will try to fill the lower pressure between the pulses, this is why on extremely short exhaust systems you hear allot of popping and banging on de-acceleration. the atmosphere pressure is actually crashing into the following exhaust pulse.

Tuned exhaust will change the length and diameter of the tubing to match the output of the engine, each exhaust pulse should help pull the following pulse into its low pressure zone as they travel down the tubing. this will help to draw the used gasses out of the combustion chamber.

low RPM engines will need a smaller tubing to help it run efficiently, but the small tubing wont have the capacity to fit the larger pulses from a higher rpm engine, therefore you would need bigger tubing.

there is allot of research involved to tune exhaust properly, but my general rule of thumb is engines 360ci and under N/A running under 6500RPM work well with 2 1/2 " tubing, and engines over 360 withe the same specs should run a 3" tube. once you get into forces induction its hit and miss. it is in great debate, but those are my numbers.
Old 11-05-2008, 08:59 PM
How fast is fast enough?

Last photo:

when backpressure increases torque, it looses hp. The reason it does that has little to do with the actual exhaust set up though, its more to do with excessive exhaust cam timing. A lot of these dual pattern cams were designed for really crappy exhaust ports with mediocre intakes. Newer heads have much higher E/I flow ratios and in general bennefit from a cam closer to a single pattern, and in some cases even a dual pattern with less exhaust timing.
Old 11-05-2008, 09:59 PM

Last photo:

Losing torque is not necessarily a required consequence of reducing back pressure. It might be because nobody bothered to recalibrate the fuel system to compensate for the extra air flow.
Old 11-06-2008, 10:07 AM

Last wiki edit: Calculating tire size
Last journal entry: Changes...
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimfulco
Losing torque is not necessarily a required consequence of reducing back pressure. It might be because nobody bothered to recalibrate the fuel system to compensate for the extra air flow.
I think thats where the "you need some backpressure" thing started, people not re-jetting their carb after changing the system.
Old 11-06-2008, 09:19 PM
Hates: Liver. Loves: Diesel

Last wiki edit: How to find cheap parts
Last journal entry: 1999-2001: Getting it on the road
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 16

I agree... Its a big buzzword. Its no different from using a certain intake or carb. There is no reason why you can't choose exhaust components that fill the bill for the full range of the engine's powerband. The secret is just knowing how big is just right.

There will be a point where going smaller will start capping off HP without adding any more low end torque, and there is a point where going bigger will start reducing low end torque while not adding any more HP up top. But there is a pretty generous middle ground that will provide minimal trade offs.
Old 11-06-2008, 09:36 PM

Last photo:

I run 2.5" to the super 40's then 3 out.
When I open the headers via cutouts it definetly runs better,,,,or maybe it sounds like it runs better so I think it does
Guess I'll just have to wait till it's tubbed & 9 inched so I can take it down the track both ways
Old 11-07-2008, 02:24 AM
Hates: Liver. Loves: Diesel

Last wiki edit: How to find cheap parts
Last journal entry: 1999-2001: Getting it on the road
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 16

Most people can't feel even a 10 hp difference, so there is a very good chance that your "feeling" is just a perception. I have played around with computer tuning, exhaust, intakes, and other modifications on all of my cars, and although the hp shows up on the dyno, its very difficult to actually feel it in your butt.

Even if you gained 10 hp from that exhaust modification (which is significant and feasible) its likely that your gut feeling is just that... a feeling, not an actually noticable increase.

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.