why the big dogs like chev or ford? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Hotrodding Basics
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-08-2004, 03:50 AM

Wiki Edits: 0

why the big dogs like chev or ford?

why is it that most of the threads are about fords and chev or fords vs chev or am i just missing all the dodge threads? is it that there the most popular or is it that ppl dont like the dependability of dodge? are they dependable or good quality so to say? new or old doesnt matter it seems that the only place to find dodge stuff is at a dealer!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-08-2004, 05:36 AM
Be the MIRACLE!

Last journal entry: Running boards (part DUEX)
Last photo:

Propane I had to check your profile to see where your coming from. I see your a student so I'll have to give you a little history lesson even though your not in school at the moment. Seeing how the largest demographics of the board are men and women who are baby boomers (not all thankfully we like the younger and older ones too) in the sixties we had the big three auto makers. It was a constant battle on the race tracks and the stock market to see who could beat who so there actually was a three way squabble over who was best, Chevy ,Dodge or Ford ( I listed them alphabetically not by prefferance). Competiton seemed to be feerless between them. As with a lot of independant car co.s they got bought up or went under. Dodge was going the same route for awhile. No more Ramblers, no more Plymouths, DeSotos, Studebakers (except for Avanti's, etc,etc.) So that being said it's much easier getting Ford and Chevy parts cause both are still strong co.s and you can get parts as easily for a model "A" as you can for a Dodge intrepid. But try to get a body part for a early Dodge. It can be a needle in a haystack. But they can be found with a great deal of effort. And both Ford and Chevy are easier to work with (to a point). I can tell you there are Dodge fans out there and the hemi is ever popular. And is making a comeback on a smaller scale as you can see by the Dodge commecials. But it's also owned by a good co. trying to keep it alive. It's not an American co. but an extremely reputable one. That's as far as I can take you. Who's next in line. (BTW kid my favorite is chevy but I'm streetrodding a DeSoto which in the end was bought out by the Dodge bros.) Good day!
Old 02-08-2004, 02:08 PM

Last wiki edit: Mopar tapered axle rear brake conversion
Last journal entry: What I'm doing now...
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 49

The biggest reason you don't hear that much about Dodges is that (until lately) Chrysler Corporation hasn't made a high performance V8 since the early 70's. Ford and Chevy have continued to build V8 rear wheel drive cars all along so there is a large number available for the younger rodders to build. Also since they're so available performance parts are cheaper.

As an example, it's not very hard to find a Camaro or Mustang as a project but try to find a decent Cuda, Challenger, Road Runner or Coronet around. They're available but will run 2-4 times what the Chevy or Ford will cost. This limits the number of people who can afford them so naturally fewer people are running Mopars.

If you haven't guessed I'm a Mopar guy, not that I don't like Fords and Chevys. When it comes down to it I have three vehicles in my garage. One Ford, one Chevy and one Dodge. Fortunately they're all powered by hemis.

Centerline
http://www.hotrodsandhemis.com
Old 02-08-2004, 03:01 PM
aka Duke of URL

Last wiki edit: Finding vacuum leaks Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1

Thumbs up

I agree also with the reason CHRYSLER products not being so popular is the comany's marketing strategies over the last few decades. When they went minivan, it was an economic boom for the corporation, but a death knell for performance enthusists.

Back in it's day, MOPAR was the one to be feared on the street and track. ROADRUNNER made that a fact (as did the early 413/426 street wedges).

Their return to NASCAR (the same fake race cars the other two have) may prove to be a comeback for performist enthusists.

And lets' not forget AMC back in the late sixties/early seventies. That was also a factor to be dealt with.

I personally like all cars whether CHEV, import or whatever. I just got stuck on FORD as one was my first car and that was the technology I learned on. But if I see an old 348 tri-power BISCAYNE or a Z-11, I become just as excited.
Old 02-09-2004, 10:28 PM
Im trying to have an idea!

Last photo:

we need more oldsmobiles like the a and g bodies
and no i don't drive a monte carlo
Old 02-10-2004, 05:55 PM

Thanks alot guys for your reasons although I dont think i needed that history lesson considering i get it every monday at 5pm speedvision "AMERICAN MUSCLE CAR" they let ya know what was goin on with the powerhouses oh yes they didnt forget the AMC's
Old 02-10-2004, 06:03 PM
Be the MIRACLE!

Last journal entry: Running boards (part DUEX)
Last photo:

We can't help. With age comes history. We've been there and lived it.
Old 02-16-2004, 03:35 PM

Last journal entry: Disaster
Last photo:

I think everyone has their own reasons for liking/disliking something...
I'm big into customs, so for me aesthetics are extreemly important. I personally just like the way GM styled their late 50's-early 60's cars. Since those are the cars I like, those are the cars I drive.
Just another perspective.
-alfie
Old 02-16-2004, 03:55 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Carburetor
Last journal entry: Clean up
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 3

mopar probably had the best quality stuff. I started into chevy because of avalability and price of parts. I think most others did too.

K
Old 02-16-2004, 05:06 PM

Last wiki edit: Mopar tapered axle rear brake conversion
Last journal entry: What I'm doing now...
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 49

Quote:
Originally posted by killerformula
mopar probably had the best quality stuff. I started into chevy because of avalability and price of parts. I think most others did too.
K
Exactly. Thats why, when I go to the NSRA Nationals every year I see 13000 street rods and 11,000 are powered by small block Chevys. They're cheap and parts are plentiful. I call 'em Cookie Cutter Cars.

Centerline
Old 02-20-2004, 11:55 PM
Not Considered a Senior Member

Last photo:

As obvious, I`m a Chevrolet fan, always have been, always will be. but I don`t put down the other makers, I like the easy interchangeability of the Chevy engines, this was why I`m not big into Fords, Ford tended to move around too much as far as parts interchangeability went. I`m a big fan of the 351 windsor, those are great engines and with the right parts will run like a scalded dog. as for Chrysler, I`ve always had respect for, unlike chevy engines, they believed in using long rods, SBC 350 using 5.7`s compared to a chrysler 360`s 6.123 inchers. my instructor in college always said "if you wanna go fast, you go Mopar, but you`d better be wealthy"

Recent Hotrodding Basics posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.