why cant i put a throw shifter in my VW? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Transmission - Rearend
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-25-2007, 09:08 PM
Army Strong

Last wiki edit: How to remove a VW Type I body
Last journal entry: well once again
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1

why cant i put a throw shifter in my VW?

i want to put a regular T handle drag shifter in my VW.. but it has Auto Stick transmission..

so i guess its impossible right?

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-26-2007, 08:54 AM
OldSchool MotorHead

Wiki Edits: 0

Nothing is Impossible

As an "Old School Motorhead" I take a torch, welder, saw, and fabricate any mount or adapter that is needed to achieve the desired results. Go for it, but take your time.
Old 01-26-2007, 09:00 AM
Army Strong

Last photo:

well i guess it would work..
it just says that its made for a regular 4spd manual

i dunno

-CAM
Old 01-26-2007, 11:17 AM

Last wiki edit: AMC V-8s Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 14

My understanding of the "Auto Stick" is that it's an automatic clutch. So a four speed shifter should work. There may be a problem though. You need to understnad how the AutoStick system works. AMC had an auto clutch system they called "E-Stick" (for easy stick?) back in the early 60s. It had switches on the shifter so the system could tell when the car was in gear and when it was in neutral. The VW setup might have something like that. If it's back on the tranny it shouldn't affect the shifter. You just need to make sure that the new shifter won't interfere with any possible switches thatthe AutoStick might need, or that you can adapt the switches (if there are any) to the new shifter.
Old 01-26-2007, 01:24 PM
Army Strong

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by farna
My understanding of the "Auto Stick" is that it's an automatic clutch. So a four speed shifter should work. There may be a problem though. You need to understnad how the AutoStick system works. AMC had an auto clutch system they called "E-Stick" (for easy stick?) back in the early 60s. It had switches on the shifter so the system could tell when the car was in gear and when it was in neutral. The VW setup might have something like that. If it's back on the tranny it shouldn't affect the shifter. You just need to make sure that the new shifter won't interfere with any possible switches thatthe AutoStick might need, or that you can adapt the switches (if there are any) to the new shifter.
the shifter in my autostick and the shifter in the regular 4spd are exactly the same.. asfar as the shifter rod itself..

so i assume it would be the same?

-Cam
Old 01-26-2007, 06:19 PM
Voices tell me to do this.

What year VW? Front or rear engine? Beetle or what? I can help but need more info.
Old 01-28-2007, 07:02 PM
Army Strong

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldskools10
What year VW? Front or rear engine? Beetle or what? I can help but need more info.
1970 Beetle

rear engine
Old 01-29-2007, 06:29 PM
Voices tell me to do this.

The answer is no. The autostick has a set of contacts in the bottom of the the lever to engage and disengage the vacum pot operated clutch on the transmission.Without these contacts you will never get it in gear. If you want a 4 speed manual trans it can be changed over very easy on that year car as it already has a clutch cable tube in the tunnel. All you should need is a pedal assembly,cable,transmission and flywheel/clutch assembly.And of course you're choice of shifter. Good luck!
Old 01-29-2007, 07:15 PM
Army Strong

Last photo:

Quote:
The answer is no. The autostick has a set of contacts in the bottom of the the lever to engage and disengage the vacum pot operated clutch on the transmission.Without these contacts you will never get it in gear. If you want a 4 speed manual trans it can be changed over very easy on that year car as it already has a clutch cable tube in the tunnel. All you should need is a pedal assembly,cable,transmission and flywheel/clutch assembly.And of course you're choice of shifter. Good luck!
i ahve 2 more with Manual trannys in it

Old 01-29-2007, 10:01 PM

Why cant I put a throw shifter in my Vw

Ok I learned somethin knew . About auto stick . Cause the only thing I know is I dont want one . Least not In my Bugg's . I do know how too set up a 4 speed in an Auto stick Tho ! The Conversion .

Also know my gear shifters . Gene Berge's Shifter is what you want !!!! << Spendy But Empi's and Bugg Pack's are Ok . Scatt even has 1/2 way descent one . But Genes is Probably the Best !

So we have 2 Other Bugg's , with 4 speed's . What exactly are these 2 Other Bugg's And why are we buildin the Auto stick and not one of the other Bugg's ???

See For best result's we Kinda need too Destroy a Car Too Do the conversion on the Auto Stick . Why not Build one of the Other Car's ? If Viable then We have an Auto Stick that can be sold , Or Restored ?

Most Hot Rodded Bugg's are Car's that need Too Be Built . As in meaning Ya dont wanna convert a perfectly Good OEM restoration By doing Conversion's on it ARGGHHHHHHHH !

Loook some guy's Like a Auto stick All Original Bugg . << Make Good Nostalgic OEM Car's restored Stock . There a part of History . Worthless too me ? But some nerdy College proffessor might think a OEM restored auto stick , is the Blank .

Point being you kinda wanna avoid destroying a Good Viable OEM restoration car By Modifying , with bunch of after market parts and totally changeing the characteristic's of the Car .

On an OEM restoration. << you want Original paint Under coating , Window glass , with windwing's Or the closest availiable OEM part's and material availiable . On the cleanest car availiable with as many xtras and Oem novelty's you can get .

Now hot rodd bugg's << were gonna 1 peice the window's << tinted of course . Were gonna Stripp out 50+ LBS of interior Replace it with custom interior << After market 10 LBS Approx . Even Under Coating were Gonna use Paintable Marhyde << Sparingly in right places <<,Be least 25 LBS lighter than Originall under coating . All 4 Disc Brakes << you'll want that Eventually ?

List Goe's on ! Maybe a 1 Peice Fyber Glass front end <<< requires Cutting Modifying the front Clipp <<, These are thing's you do Too car's that are Lil beyond the Edge of a Stock OEM Restoration .

Your Car's ? Your Call ? but just kinda Curious why you dont just build one of the Car's with A 4 Speed allready in it . Thats beeen Ratted out A lil beyond a Viable OEM Restoration .

Often I take 2 Car's that are beyond OEM Stock Redemption too make 1 Hot Rodd Bugg . I Told you Lett me see all your Car's and Lett's go over them together 1 At a time . Figure out what your most Viable Build's are ?

Who know's Might Eventually have 2 OEM restored Bugg's and a Badd Bugg . If you Work it Right ? Or Maybe 2 Car's ? A Badd Bugg and an OEM Auto stick Restoration .

Either way Can handle What ever you want too Do here We can Convert the Auto Stick . Or Rebuild the Tunnel in one of the 4 Speed's Like New . Doesnt matter too Me . Im not the one has too stick my Arm in Tunnel with a brokin hack saw blade, and Saw for Good 10 hours straight ??/ Ha , Ha , Ha ,

It's not that Bad <<< Im Crackin up , Cause Im lieing Last one I did was A 4 Speed rebuild some one else had Rebuilt Tunnel wrong in . Wound up not only Hack sawing << I used Sawz All ( But have done it with Hack saw Blades Also ) But Not only Did i Get a Hack saw on it Some Along with Cuttin Wheel Sawz All << About 8 Hr's Straight .

But who ever Jethro Was that botched the Rebuild Job on it was ? Decided that rather than Tack welding the Clutch tube , It would be Better too Braze the Tube In . <<< Mean's I took me an Additional 20+ Hours Too Grind , Cuttt And File All the Brass out of It so my Migg Tack's would Stick too it .

Cant weld Brass ? The Brass had popped thru the Clutch Tube , inside it<<, Has Cable in it << Cant be obstructed By poppin a hole in the Tube lettin brazeing rodd runn down inside it .

Best too Tack it with nice Clean Migg weld . << Lil tricky . Migg will popp thru too . << But migg's much better Deal . But it was 4 day's with a Grinding Wheel and , sawz All And Brokin Hack saw Blades and File's , on my Knees Bent Over , Armm jammed inside a Sharp Hole cut in the Tunnel , trying too grind , file all the brass out . Hadd Too fix 2 Support Brackets ETC .

Guy was Nutt's he Just Started Brazeing , and Brazeing . Then he Must have Rested after 10 LBS of Brazeing ? << Least I assume he Rested Cause look's Like he Got up next day , Started Brazeing Some More , Then Some More ?? Then 3 Rd Day He probably got up and Brazed some More ??/ Ok it wasnt that Badd ?

Crackin up Cause yeah It was that Badd . And Im Lieing Again No Im Not ? yes I Am ? But point is You see what you can get intoo on Tunnel rebuild's . It's a Job with out some Jethro being in there before you !

Tale Tell sign is Holes Cut in the tunnel << Gotta lift Carpet too see um . Usual Novice Sign's are Cut holes in tunnel with Flapp bent out . Then bent back up , and coverd with carpet << So look under the Carpet Etc.

I will help you gett thru it if you like ? Just Take time too listen . Read my Post . Pay attention ! I Do nice work ! Custom Work ! Pretty good at Tunnel's ! <<< Mean's I never had no Luck ! Worst case scenario, every stepp of the way ! Every Car I, ever worked on ?

Old Car's Bugg's <<, Beware on any old Car cleanin insides out . I Got a stripper Car out back was given too me . 1 Of Like 10 Vw Car's I have ? But Went take seat's out reached underneath it too Unhook the Seat Return spring . Had a Hyperdermic needle wedged down in Carpet . <<, Whamm ! right up under my thumb nail . Some Junkie had Owned the Car ? Found 3 More Hidden in the car after that . <<< Not Good > AIDES , Hepetiutis, Tetnus Etc Torked me Off , bigg time !

Just tellin ya Rootin around In Old Car's has it's Unforseen hazards . Be Carefull ! But Root around in Um Look see what's Up in um . <<, Might find a 3.88 Ring and Pinion or A Bus Pyramid Transaxle ETC. Still No Camera yett on this end ! Workin on it .

Sean
Old 01-30-2007, 08:41 AM
Army Strong

Last photo:

the white/formally yellow one was the car that has good tranny and pretty good body...but no engine

red one.. half floor missing and bad tranny no engine

beige one.. good engine good tranny (autostick one )

in the barn are 2 sets of good heads, one good engine.. and one locked up engine

i wanted to lower this one 3 inches.. suicide doors...and tinted windows on this one.. and take the auto stick out.. and put the tranny out the yellow/white one..

then take the good engine from the barn and get it rebuilt with more HP and put it in this one ... and then when i finish this one .. i'll take the auto stick put it in the white/yellow one.. and then this engine thats currently in the car i'll have it rebuilt and put in the white/yellow one.. and it will be stock..

because.. now i have a job at the car shop and my dad said he would buy me something to drive when the time came but i doubt it..

and i can get help with it at work too. hope yall can follow this.. its confusing

-Cam is in class
Old 01-30-2007, 09:01 AM
Homer is my '53 Ford

Last photo:

Auto Stick conversion

The conversion from autostick to standard 4 speed is very do-able. I did one a few years ago. The hardest part was cutting open the tunnel and adding the clutch cable tube. I didn't want to buy a parts car, so I used electrical conduit bent at the front and rear to line up with the cable attaching points. (Mine was a '68, and there was no clutch cable tube as someone suggested) You won't be sorry you did it the changeover.

Mike
Old 01-30-2007, 07:09 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: T-350 rebuild tech
Last journal entry: Morris update 9-28-2014
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1659

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1953 Homer
The conversion from autostick to standard 4 speed is very do-able. I did one a few years ago. The hardest part was cutting open the tunnel and adding the clutch cable tube. I didn't want to buy a parts car, so I used electrical conduit bent at the front and rear to line up with the cable attaching points. (Mine was a '68, and there was no clutch cable tube as someone suggested) You won't be sorry you did it the changeover.

Mike
the question was

Quote:
i want to put a regular T handle drag shifter in my VW.. but it has Auto Stick transmission..
From what I read he simply wants to change the shifter not convert to a manual tranny
Old 01-30-2007, 08:34 PM
Army Strong

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crosley
the question was

From what I read he simply wants to change the shifter not convert to a manual tranny

well i was told the autostick was too weak

so i need a 4 spd anyway
Old 02-10-2007, 08:39 AM
Army Strong

Last photo:

Quote:
alrighty can you point me in the right direction to find those parts?

Recent Transmission - Rearend posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.