Hot Rod Forum banner

Why Didnt My Paint Dry?

9K views 15 replies 7 participants last post by  V8 Super Beetle 
#1 ·
Not sure what happened but my first attempt at painting my hood didn't go over so well.. I am located in a very rural and the closest paint supply shop (about 40 minutes away) went out of business so I ordered a complete kit online.. It came with Acrylic Urethane sealer/hardener and also the Acrylic Enamel paint which included hardener and enough reducer for both the sealer and enamel.. After wet sanding the fiberglass hood, I ran over it with a tack cloth and spayed the sealer.. The sealer went on good and appeared to dry good too.. After a few days I went back and wet sanded it and ran a tack cloth across it again.. I then mixed up the acrylic enamel paint, hardener and reducer just like the can said and sprayed.. I waited a few minutes between coats. The finish looked great but never ended up drying.. I even set it outside for 2 days straight and it still never dried (temperature was in the high 70's). It was so wet, after 2 days, bugs were still sticking to it.. I had to strip the whole thing back down again and when doing so I noticed the paint melted right into the sealer.. Any idea what could of gone wrong? I am afraid to try it again because it was a ton of work prepping the hood again.

See less See more
#2 ·
i would chunk all of that in the nearest dumpster and start over with a quality paint which omni is not. as for the enamel they couldn't even afford good lables. there is no telling what that stuff is or how old.

#3 · (Edited)
Normally it would be a bad activator but ACY ENAM does not need an activator to dry.
So who ever mixed the paint forgot to put in the "dryer".

Only other thing that could do this is if you instead of mixing the enamel 8:1 to activator, you did 8 parts activator to 1 part enamel, don't look like you have enough activator to do this.

Solvents setting on 2K sealer started to melt it.

There is a PPG store on every corner, save the NAPA stuff for used car work not a vette.

EDIT:

Here you go, here is a jobber in Michigan (SW) that mixes Pro-spray and he ships all over.
They make a single stage also that is sweet with quality of concept or my opinion, higher.

Chads Auto paint:
269-426-6000

#4 ·
I suppose it could of been a mixure problme but I swear I mixed it lust like the can said and I used a ratio cup too.. I would really like to attempt it one more time since I already spent the money on it.. I have a old scrap hood scoop here so here's my thought
1. Seal, scoop hood again and scrap scoop
2. Mix paint and spray scrap scoop only to see if will set-up and if it does, then spray hood.

My question is how long is paint good for in a paint gun once mixed? Would I have enough time to verify the painted scrap scoop is setting up before attempting to paint the real scoop and hood?

#5 ·
Man ,bite the bullit and chuck that stuff... a decient urathane is only 100.00 for black. at least your getting some gun time....there's something wrong with the way THEY mixed the paint ...acrilic enamel will dry without hardner but its crap paint and wont last ...Get a urathane ....man ,you Vette guys.. :mwink: :mwink:

#6 ·
deadbodyman said:
....man ,you Vette guys.. :mwink: :mwink:
I just wanted some black gloss on the hood, that's all (I dont care if its not a peftect match to the car itself)... I went the cheap route on the paint because I'm just tired of driving around with a primed hood/scoop and it will probably be at least another 2-3 years before I plan on getting the entire car painted (unless I sell or trade it first).. Anyone got a Pro Streeter they want to trade :mwink:

#7 ·
My68Vette said:
I just wanted some black gloss on the hood, that's all (I dont care if its not a peftect match to the car itself)... I went the cheap route on the paint because I'm just tired of driving around with a primed hood/scoop and it will probably be at least another 2-3 years before I plan on getting the entire car painted (unless I sell or trade it first).. Anyone got a Pro Streeter they want to trade :mwink:
Summit racing has a nice acrylic urethane package . I used their black cherry pearl single step on my T-bucket and it looks great . Same day shipping . Check their website.

#10 ·
AutoGear said:
Napa sells sherwin williams...not omni.

The quality of the paint isn't the issue, don't confuse the 2....its the fact that someone somewhere mixed it wrong.
I really don't think all NAPA stores sell the same paint brands . Here in So. Chas WV we have a Sherwin Williams store directly across the street from a NAPA . I had asked the people at NAPA what brand they mixed when I was shopping for paint for my T-bucket and I am sure it wasn't SW . I seem to remember that they sold PPG . At any rate , I went with Summit because even with shipping , it was a better deal and I couldn't be happier with the performance.

#14 ·
I just shot it with the sealer and think I will let someone else put the top coat on it after I wet sand it.. I know of a body shop not to far away that might do it for a reasonable price.. Even if I get some good paint, I dont feel confident enough to do it right.. Heck, I just ended up with a small run in the sealer I just put on, imagine what I would do with paint thats even thinner :rolleyes:

#15 ·
My68Vette said:
I just shot it with the sealer and think I will let someone else put the top coat on it after I wet sand it.. I know of a body shop not to far away that might do it for a reasonable price.. Even if I get some good paint, I dont feel confident enough to do it right.. Heck, I just ended up with a small run in the sealer I just put on, imagine what I would do with paint thats even thinner :rolleyes:
A lot of body shops these days mix their own paint on site so that there is no waste . I'd check around before I ordered any more paint . It really doesn't take that much to do a hood .

#16 ·
adantessr said:
A lot of body shops these days mix their own paint on site so that there is no waste . I'd check around before I ordered any more paint . It really doesn't take that much to do a hood .
I order Summit's urethane paint as well. Although I'm still in the primer stage, I'm happy with it so far.

A quart of their black is a little over $25. Activator is another $20 (only comes in quart size). Mixes 4:1:1. Looks like you've done a good job so far with the exception that the paint if funky.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/SUM-UP600/

If you go this route, choose the correct temp activator.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/SUM-UP600/RequiredParts/?prefilter=0

:thumbup:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.