Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Why do I struggle with bodywork so much
View Single Post
Old 08-07-2007, 11:03 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

When you run into a problem area shoot a picture and post it-and I'm sure you'll get detailed advice on a step by step on how to go about the repair. Knowing how to move the block/board is another often unknown procedure that differs from one shape to the next but there's some general rules I follow. When working over a complete panel (not just a few repair areas) I usually run the block first with the length of the panel-this quickly establishes the straightness of the panel when viewed down the length of the car, if your strokes show that all is good and your getting a good flowing cut from one end to the other (sometimes down the whole length of the car) then switch to an x pattern moving the block/board diagonally at a 30-45 degree angle. After all the major surfaces are blocked straight then do the minor areas like body lines and radius areas using the same technique but on a smaller scale and blending the shapes into the rest of the panel-if this makes sense. There is an order to do this stuff to make things easier and have better results. Guidecoat is a must and should be applied with every grit change. Make sure your blocks and boards are perfectly straight and flat-most plastic and rubber blocks will shrink with age and cup or warp, wood handled boards will swell and shrink with moisture causing warpage, and many aren't straight and flat when new-they all need to be checked and corrected if you want good results.