Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Why do I struggle with bodywork so much
View Single Post
Old 08-07-2007, 10:10 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

i have 2 tips i learned from an old pro body guy when i was a pup( early 20s) that solved most of my bodywork problems. i was chasing waves in a body panel with bondo and a 14" sanding board and he says " whata ya doin kid" i told him i was trying to get the panel flat. he walked around the car and told me all the panels were wavey, i asked how he could tell. tip1 you dont see bad panels you feel them. as mikey said lay your hand flat on the panel and move it across the panel in different directions. its easy to "read" the panel. he then mixed up a LOT of bondo and and with a big squegee made one swipe across the panel covering covering all my work. tip 2 you dont work a low spot, wave, crease or anything else, you work the whole panel. when it was cured he chucked a new paper in my sanding board and told me to sand the entire panel in 30 degree up and down strokes. in probably 30 minutes i had a flat panel!! i learned you dont get a panel straight by finesseing into shape, you get it straight with a brutal attack on the entire panel. he said if you are doing it right most of the bondo will end up on the floor. its worked for me ever since.