Why do my heads say ? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Hotrodding Basics
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-07-2012, 04:56 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Why do my heads say ?

Pontiac on them? I just got this car and I was told it is a SBC 383 but I noticed the heads say Pontica on them and appear to be aluminum. Any other casting numbers to look for to identify them and what they could be?

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-07-2012, 05:53 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dajerseyrat View Post
Pontiac on them? I just got this car and I was told it is a SBC 383 but I noticed the heads say Pontica on them and appear to be aluminum. Any other casting numbers to look for to identify them and what they could be?

Holy Cow Dude you got a set of these:

10033867 Pontiac Motorsports Head
This aluminum head for small-block Chevy V8s offers a substantial increase in both airflow and horsepower with minimal preparation. It has a standard intake port location, and is compatible with most small-block V8 components. Ductile iron seats for standard length 2.100" intake valves and 1.625" exhausts are installed. Phosphorous bronze guides are included with this head but are not installed. It has conventional 62cc combustion chambers, and uses 3/4" reach gasketed 14mm spark plugs.

This is a solid gold find in aluminum!

Bogie
The Following User Says Thank You to oldbogie For This Useful Post:
Dajerseyrat (11-07-2012)
Old 11-07-2012, 08:32 PM
Old & Furious

So those are the high port heads in 23 degree right? I can never figure out the gm part numbers on the after market heads. Seems like the just have a bucket of heads pick one. Lots of gopdies but ypu better grab the right toys for your app. So these are 500+ hp heads out the box. Next best thing to dart, brodix 2500 Dollar heads. Intake and cam should be matched up for that combo.
Old 11-07-2012, 08:38 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldbogie View Post

This aluminum head for small-block Chevy V8s offers a substantial increase in both airflow and horsepower with minimal preparation. It has a standard intake port location, and is compatible with most small-block V8 components. Ductile iron seats for standard length 2.100" intake valves and 1.625" exhausts are installed. Phosphorous bronze guides are included with this head but are not installed. It has conventional 62cc combustion chambers, and uses 3/4" reach gasketed 14mm spark plugs.

Bogie
Im guessing this is a good thing??LOL.. I have the receipts for the engine build and the valves are Manley SS, with titanium retainers and some other real deal parts..

So they are made by Pontiac for motorsports applications? And pretty rare I assume?
Old 11-07-2012, 08:48 PM
Old & Furious

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dajerseyrat View Post
Im guessing this is a good thing??LOL.. I have the receipts for the engine build and the valves are Manley SS, with titanium retainers and some other real deal parts..

So they are made by Pontiac for motorsports applications? And pretty rare I assume?
I may be talking out my arse but i think they are nascar/racing heads from before sb2 and 18 degree heads. Now they are just sold out of the parts catalog for engine builders. Good stuff usally. A few of the custom gm heads are really good and actually used in many racing applications.

Does the car run it does sound like a real deal effort. I guessing its fast.
Old 11-07-2012, 08:54 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldbogie View Post

Bogie
Quote:
Originally Posted by hcompton View Post
I may be talking out my arse but i think they are nascar/racing heads from before sb2 and 18 degree heads. Now they are just sold out of the parts catalog for engine builders. Good stuff usally. A few of the custom gm heads are really good and actually used in many racing applications.

Does the car run it does sound like a real deal effort. I guessing its fast.
I just picked it up and have been getting thing sorted out. It starts and runs, aside from pulling it in and out of my garage I haven't driven it, but it does sound like it's pissed off at the world It revs so damn fast its not even funny..
Old 11-07-2012, 08:56 PM

Last photo:

here is the engine they are on.Dry sump 389 stroker..

Old 11-07-2012, 11:27 PM
WFO

Last wiki edit: Intake manifold
Last journal entry: 1980 Malibu Wagon
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1616

How does one go about putting a value on a car that nothing is really known about? I mean, most times when a guy buys a race car things like what heads are on it et cetera are central to its value.
Old 11-08-2012, 05:00 AM
Old & Furious

Oh.. very nice.

Asphalt Late model modified?

Looks like it will run. I would say its got all the right parts on it.

Its not too suprising you could buy a car with unknown engine but any paper work and engine builders name you can track down from the original owner would be very useful in the long run.

I would bet you dont want to change anything on that engine. Sep to keep it running and fed with new parts. Intake does appear to be matched to the heads possibly gm as well. Which is a good thing. You would be hard pressed to change things around and gain any ponies. Just fyi.

Last edited by hcompton; 11-08-2012 at 05:06 AM.
Old 11-08-2012, 05:57 AM

This is turning out to be quite a cool car,what kind of a deal did you get on it?Let me know if there are others like it for sale? as long as its not too much
Old 11-08-2012, 07:21 AM
Yada Yada Yada

Last photo:

If you keep idling this thing in the driveway you are going to foul the plugs again.
and will be replaceing them again. You need to take this car out and drive it.
prefered a nice long hi way drive to get the combustion chambers cleaned out.

You can increase streetability by fine tuning the carb and consider adding a vacuum advance distributor.
A locked timing curve + vacuum advance would be good for this motor.
The vac advance alllows the racey motor to "cruise" more efficiently at part throttle on the street.
I'd build a custom HP style carb for it. The idle circuit and off idle circuit probabily need specific fine tuning for this motor.
This gets ignored on most race only prepped cars.

The heads were made for GM (Pontiac Motorsports) by Brodix.
This reacey motor has a high compression ratio. YOu want to use the best possible premimum pump gas you can
and should consider blending in some 110 octane unleaded race gas in your pump gas.
This 11:1+ cr motor needs a 100 octane fuel.

You want to avoid extended taxi cab idling with this motor. Start it up, warm it up and drive it.
Do not allow it to idle slow when cold. 2000 rpm warm up.

Reset the idle mixture screws once it fully warmed up. using a vacuum gauge.

Last edited by F-BIRD'88; 11-08-2012 at 07:29 AM.
Old 11-08-2012, 08:20 AM
WFO

Last wiki edit: Intake manifold
Last journal entry: 1980 Malibu Wagon
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1616

I'd be pulling it down for a good inspection and possible freshening considering it's a race car.

Once it's apart the specs can be recorded. Once that's done- depending on what's found- changes could be made to make it more street/pump gas friendly if it's going to see much street time. But at least then it would be known what it is that's being dealt with.
Old 11-08-2012, 09:18 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by F-BIRD'88 View Post
If you keep idling this thing in the driveway you are going to foul the plugs again.
and will be replaceing them again. You need to take this car out and drive it.
prefered a nice long hi way drive to get the combustion chambers cleaned out.
Believe me I have been dying to do just that...A hurricane last week and a friggin noreaster this week have been preventing that.Mother nature is not playing nice.. FYI I have to pull it in and out to work on it or get stuff off my loft in my garage, so thats the closest to driving it I have gotten..

On a side note Im getting better at not stalling it out pulling it in and out, down to 3 stalls each attempt..(the clutch is really tricky and has a very unforgiving throw)...
Old 11-08-2012, 09:21 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cobalt327 View Post
How does one go about putting a value on a car that nothing is really known about? I mean, most times when a guy buys a race car things like what heads are on it et cetera are central to its value.
I trade my car for it, it was a no brainer for me cause the body and suspension set up were exactly what I was looking for. I have all the receipts for the engine and have an idea of whats in it based on the owners description. The car was used as a road race car and has seen track time at Limerock and Poccono raceway according to the owner. It may be a little harsh on the street, but thats what I like.
Old 11-08-2012, 04:27 PM
Old & Furious

Thats a race car on the street you are not going to be able to drive it in traffic. You will jump into someone's bumper or bounce off the road in a turn. stiff suspension will have less grip on the street. A little stiffer is fine. That thing has got to be rock hard it will not repsond to pot holes and wavy roads. Be careful with it and enjoy!

It has 15 inch wide slicks on the front. its got to be loud as ******* as well. you got tags for that. Your FOP dues must be paid up. I have seen some cars with spools and large tubs be street legal and not get pulled over but im betting that will get the attention of every cop in your town. I guess if you get pulled over tell the cop he can drive. LOL your going to have some fun with that one. I bet you will also spend some time fully clentched as well.

Recent Hotrodding Basics posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.