Why do people think grill bras look good? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-03-2007, 05:25 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

Why do people think grill bras look good?

Seriously, they look so stupid.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-03-2007, 05:32 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Body and exterior tips Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1

History. Some early Model T came stock with brass grille shells. Do you have any other opinions about what looks stupid? Perhaps you could tell us what you do like.
Old 10-03-2007, 05:34 PM

You have a point, I shouldn't have said they were stupid. However what is the appeal?
Old 10-03-2007, 05:35 PM
Hot rodder, not street rodder!

Last photo:

At the risk of offending anyone, I think they look disgusting on anything, if not downright ghey. If you're that afraid of the occasional stone chip, don't drive it. Just leave it in the garage and wax it. This is why I'd never piss away money on a "show quality" paint job. If it's too nice to drive, it ain't good for nothin' IMO.
Old 10-03-2007, 05:36 PM

Thanks for being on my side.
Old 10-03-2007, 05:39 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord_Hate
You have a point, I shouldn't have said they were stupid. However what is the appeal?
If it's your opinion they look stupid, then don't apologize for saying so. I think they look stupid too.
Old 10-03-2007, 05:50 PM
Cox Custom Cars

Last photo:

I also think they look stupid and totally useless. Especially those that just cover the front of the hood. Saw a late model VW the other day with a bra just over the hood. The front fenders were bare as was everything else. Totally rediculous looking.

Frank
Old 10-03-2007, 05:51 PM

If anything they limit air going to the rad.
Old 10-03-2007, 06:02 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Body and exterior tips Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1

I thought your post had a spelling error and that you were talking about brass grille shells on Model T's. I don't like them neither but I wouldn't have bothered to start a thread about it. What value has this thread?
Old 10-03-2007, 06:37 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Countilaw
I also think they look stupid and totally useless. Especially those that just cover the front of the hood. Saw a late model VW the other day with a bra just over the hood. The front fenders were bare as was everything else. Totally rediculous looking.

Frank
If you're talking about the late model beetle, they look ridiculous no matter what.....
Old 10-04-2007, 01:39 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
re: Why do people think grill bras look good?
If anything they limit air going to the rad.
At first I thought this thread was about bra's used on fenders and front valences, but then comments were made about grill bras. Only bra's I have seen on grills are the ones covering the grill (and radiator) on diesel tractors (semi's) which are used for the purpose of restricting air flow in order to keep the engines operating tempertures up in cold weather.

As far as using a bra on cars, and in particular, hot rods and street rods, they do not restrict/limit air flow to the radiator. On a semi,yes on a car...NO. They cover the fenders and front lower valances. Some have bug screens on the radiators, but they don't limit much in the way of air.

Bra's on some modern cars (like the aforementioned VW) are used for several reasons. 1. The owner thinks they are cool. (Wrong!) 2. The manufacturer uses lousy paint.. like on a old 1980 Honda Civic that I had that would chip if I spit on it, and 3. Owner has more money than brains and has lost sight of what looks good.

Now as for the bra's used on street rods and some hotrods, it could be the owner doesn't like stone chips in the very expensive paint, or doesn't like cleaning bug splat off the fenders in warm weather, or the owner is hiding damage on an otherwise nice car, or the owner (see #1 and #3 above).

I have no problem with fender bras on street rod or hot rods if they are done nicely, some even have bra's in matching colors. I think that they should be removed when they get where they are going. And they definitely need to come off when raining.

If you don't care how a person builds his/her car (paint, parts,etc.) than why fuss about a simple thing like a bra?? I've seen a lot of things I don't like about specific cars/trucks, especially some ratrods and modern customs, but as long as they are not infringing on my having a good, safe time, I don't give a s**t if they want to look like idiots.
Old 10-04-2007, 05:04 PM
Paintshop Dog

Last photo:

OK! I'll throw $.02 at this!

Personally, I 'm thinking a bra is functional, not for looks. Kinda like my wife's, yah, She looks better without it, but?
...Anyway back to the point, when you spend top dollar on a grill, and drive your car , a bra will save you a few rock chips.

Lighten up!
Old 10-04-2007, 05:20 PM

I really depends i think they are ugly on most cars but they are also functional especially around here in south dakota, there is a lot of gravel roads and they protect from rock chips on the front and it keeps all the damn mosquitos off the front
Old 10-04-2007, 05:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mopar34
As far as using a bra on cars, and in particular, hot rods and street rods, they do not restrict/limit air flow to the radiator. On a semi,yes on a car...NO. They cover the fenders and front lower valances. Some have bug screens on the radiators, but they don't limit much in the way of air.
Most of the bras I have seen (on cars) have covered the grills totally with vinyl or whatever they're made of as well as the fenders.

Recent Body - Exterior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.