Why do sbc head bolts go into the waterjackets? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-16-2009, 06:13 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Why do sbc head bolts go into the waterjackets?

It is more out of curiosity, but is this a design flaw? or did Gm do this on purpose and if so, why?

It seems to be the reason for pulling head bolt threads out of the block, (I just recently did so).

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-16-2009, 08:29 PM
More for Less Racer

Just the way it was designed, not a flaw. Most domestic engines of the same era from other manufacturers were the same way. It is cheaper and easier on tooling to drill and tap a hole thru something than to do a blind hole(broken taps and drills).
Old 08-16-2009, 09:08 PM
My 2 cents worth

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 3

I had wondered this, but after thinking about this, I have never done any research on it.

I just figured they were trying to get the coolant closer to the source of the heat, from the combustion chamber.
Old 08-16-2009, 09:47 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by carsavvycook
I had wondered this, but after thinking about this, I have never done any research on it.

I just figured they were trying to get the coolant closer to the source of the heat, from the combustion chamber.

Stephen,

That was my first thought, and don't get me wrong I think a motor lasting over 40 years demonstrates great ingenuity, but it seems as though the idea of engines getting rebuilt for such a long period of time did not cross the desingers mind (IMO).

Eric, I didn't think about how drilling and tapping blind holes is much more difficult.

On a side note, I took my block into a machine shop yesterday and got the motor fixed. He was going to put in a helicoil but according to him had a "brain fart" and began drilling the hole for a time cert. It seems to be just as good (to me) as a heli coil.

Still waiting on the moly lube to put the heads on, but in the mean time I have to finish getting the engine bay prepped for paint (I traded my old heads for a under the hood paint job).

I start school back up on weds. so I won't be able to get the motor back together until the end of the week.

Hopefully things go better, I did test the other side of the block and all the holes torqued down just fine.

Spent all day at the Pomona swap meet today and spent some money on future projects for when the drive line is done (hydro boost, and disc brake kit) I got some great deals, I wasn't planning on brakes right now, but the prices were just too good to pass up.
Old 08-16-2009, 10:55 PM
My 2 cents worth

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by pittbull7934
Stephen,

That was my first thought, and don't get me wrong I think a motor lasting over 40 years demonstrates great ingenuity, but it seems as though the idea of engines getting rebuilt for such a long period of time did not cross the desingers mind (IMO).

Eric, I didn't think about how drilling and tapping blind holes is much more difficult.

On a side note, I took my block into a machine shop yesterday and got the motor fixed. He was going to put in a helicoil but according to him had a "brain fart" and began drilling the hole for a time cert. It seems to be just as good (to me) as a heli coil.

Still waiting on the moly lube to put the heads on, but in the mean time I have to finish getting the engine bay prepped for paint (I traded my old heads for a under the hood paint job).

I start school back up on weds. so I won't be able to get the motor back together until the end of the week.

Hopefully things go better, I did test the other side of the block and all the holes torqued down just fine.

Spent all day at the Pomona swap meet today and spent some money on future projects for when the drive line is done (hydro boost, and disc brake kit) I got some great deals, I wasn't planning on brakes right now, but the prices were just too good to pass up.
Money very well spent! You can make them run, but you have to be able to make them stop.

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.