Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board

Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/)
-   Hotrodders' Lounge (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/hotrodders-lounge/)
-   -   Why do they act like this? (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/why-do-they-act-like-109868.html)

Classix_Lover 02-24-2007 09:12 PM

Why do they act like this?

It amazes me how people (mainly younger people) try to act like they know everything. Case in point, a few days ago, I recognized some blonde kid at the counter talking with the salesman up front, but I was in the shop and couldn't hear what he was saying. He would always come into my engine rebuilding class after he got done with his class before then just to try and answer some basic engine know how questions and what not. I chuckled to myself because alot of his answers were usually wrong and the teacher would point it out. Of course he would follow it up with a, "Uh... yea that's what I meant." He's already had the class so he's trying to "impress" us I guess with a few things he knows. Give me a break.. Anyway back to the point.

So I'm walking through the front area and I finally get a chance to hear what he's blabbling about. And I quote, "Listen, I take automotive classes up at San Jac, so I know alot more than you do about cars." I lol'd right before I went back into the shop and I made sure he would hear me laughing at him considering I hate that cocky piece of crap. First of all, just because you show up to a class doesn't mean you will learn anything. Secondly, don't always assume you know more than anyone just because you're taking a class to expand your knowledge on a said subject. Thirdly, stop acting like you know everything about cars just because you picked up one or two things you didn't know before so you immediately have a "holier than thou" attitude towards anyone. He was trying to tell the salesman that synthetic oil doesn't break down and that he's stupid... Are you kidding me??? I proceeded to lmao for a few minutes when I found out that the salesman up front handed that kid's arse to him after showing him that any oil will break down from heat/wear eventually. ::sighs:: I hate people like him. :nono: I swear to god, I think he's a crackhead. :drunk:

powerrodsmike 02-24-2007 09:19 PM

Now you know why I say...I wish I knew half as much today, as what I thought I knew when I was 20.

I'd be one smart SOB.

The sad thing is that many people never learn to accept the fact that they do not know everything, and they can be wrong.

We call them "legends in their own minds"

Later, mikey

Classix_Lover 02-24-2007 09:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by powerrodsmike
Now you know why I say...I wish I knew half as much today, as what I thought I knew when I was 20.

I'd be one smart SOB.

The sad thing is that many people never learn to accept the fact that they do not know everything, and they can be wrong.

We call them "legends in their own minds"

Later, mikey

I call them "crackheads." :D

"Legends in their own minds" would probably apply to you while you're on your browny experiences. :nono: :thumbup:

killerformula 02-24-2007 10:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Classix_Lover
I call them "crackheads." :D

"Legends in their own minds" would probably apply to you while you're on your browny experiences. :nono: :thumbup:

He's only fooling himself. You know, your classmates know and your teacher CERTAINLY knows that he's just a little full of himself. Don't worry about it, your instructor has probably seen a million of these types before!

K

Classix_Lover 02-24-2007 10:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by killerformula
He's only fooling himself. You know, your classmates know and your teacher CERTAINLY knows that he's just a little full of himself. Don't worry about it, your instructor has probably seen a million of these types before!

K

Trust me, whenever I see him, I'm going to make fun of him since I don't like him in the first place. Alot of my friends already know how much of a moron he is.

WakBordr7387 02-24-2007 10:19 PM

That kid wouldn't happen to have a coffee can on the back of his car would he?

Brad

Classix_Lover 02-24-2007 10:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WakBordr7387
That kid wouldn't happen to have a coffee can on the back of his car would he?

Brad

Lol, he does drive an import so I wouldn't be surprised to hear the ol' familiar, WAAHHHHHHHHHH as he's just at 1k rpm haha. You think for an automotive program that people would be more knowledgable about things like that, but I swear to god there must be about 70% riced out cars there. It's unbelievable. I feel like I have to slap them. Oh, I was helping my friend out with his car in electrical class last year and some random kid looked at his engine bay and went, "Woa!" He ran off to get his friend and said, "Look at how tiny that motor is! How many cylinders does that got man?!" I kinda looked at my friend and rolled my eyes. He told them 4, not obvious enough to see for themselves I'm guessing. :rolleyes: The guy then proceeds to say, "4???? Wow, what's it get up to, like 55?" He then walks away and we just start laughing at how stupid that kid was.

smoke 02-24-2007 10:38 PM

You find people like this all the time.
I work in a trade and there are always guys that say the know so much but over time they prove what little they do know. Starting out I had a great journeyman tell me never to talk about what you know to someone else but let your work prove your knowledge and you will get more respect.
I hope I can make that kind of impact on a apprentice some day. He not only taught me how to do my job but taught me how to be humble as he humbled me many time.LOL.
I know how people like that can drive you crazy but they will show themselves sooner or later.

Classix_Lover 02-24-2007 10:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by smoke
You find people like this all the time.
I work in a trade and there are always guys that say the know so much but over time they prove what little they do know. Starting out I had a great journeyman tell me never to talk about what you know to someone else but let your work prove your knowledge and you will get more respect.
I hope I can make that kind of impact on a apprentice some day. He not only taught me how to do my job but taught me how to be humble as he humbled me many time.LOL.
I know how people like that can drive you crazy but they will show themselves sooner or later.

This does remind me of what happened a while back at work. One of the guys I worked with left a torque wrench set at 140 ft/lbs. I told him that he shouldn't do that or it'll lose it's accuracy if you don't return it to 0 because if you leave something dialed in at such a high setting, the springs will lose their rigidity and will mess up its calibration. I've been advised this by people in real life so I didn't make it up obviously and it's common sense if you think about it. One of our "mechanics" overheard me saying that and said, "Don't listen to him, he's stupid. It'll be fine if you leave it like that." People these days...

tfeverfred 02-24-2007 10:51 PM

I used to try and talk with people like that. Now, I revel in watching them swim in the bullcrap they spew. It never fails that sooner or later their true lack of knowledge will bite them in the butt. It's much more fun to watch them and less irritating.

My dad used to do that to me and my brother when we did really dumb things to our cars. Like spending good money on yellow ACCEL spark plug wires because we were POSITIVE that they would make our car faster. We learned a lot of good lessons swimming in our crap.

Rambo_The_Dog 02-24-2007 11:05 PM

Just tell him this...I've forgotten more than you will ever know about cars...and I still know more! :P

327NUT 02-25-2007 12:07 AM

Its not always young guys......I still remember years ago (long before 383 sbc came to be) at an Orange County fair car show, I walked up to a very nice '32 highboy with the hood off and was listening to the owner talk to some guy about his car. He was boasting to the guy that it was a "380" chevy.
I asked who's stroker crank did you use? He looked at me kind of funny then said it did'nt have a stroked crank. The other guy and I both asked him then how did he come to the idea that it was a "380" c.i. He looked at me kind of funny and the said " well cuzz it was bored 30 over". When we both tried to explain to him that a .030 over 350 is a 355 and not a 380 he got pi------ and walked away.

lowROLLERchevy 02-25-2007 12:46 AM

i love it when my own family tries to impress me with their automotive knowledge

you know who DOESNT try to argue with me about cars ? my father, the only other car person in my immediate family. sure he argues with on some stuff, but its the usual car guy vs car guy stuff

on the other hand, theres my mother, who has yet to grasp the idea that she doesnt know enough about cars to correct me

case in point:

my sister managed to back her truck into a economy car at the gas station. her hitch destroyed the bumper and the tail light panel. the estimate for the economy car was $2000 ... a reasonable amount considering the spare tire was jammed in its well ....

my sister asserted that "the cars bumper was hardly scratched"

my mom was nice enough to tell me "you havent worked at a shop in years, how do you know what the repairs would cost??" then proceeded to argue with me about it for a week

my older brother, even worse, but at least he shuts up as soon as i shoot him down once or twice.

slvrbllt 02-25-2007 12:49 AM

I always joke about how much smarter my grandfather got from the time I was 18 till I was 25 years old, and he did not even have to learn anything. :thumbup:

Twisted Minis 02-25-2007 03:45 AM

I'm in my first semester at the local JC, taking auto and machining classes. About 70% of the kids in my classes are like the one you describe. They're either disrespectful or don't know *** is going on and think they do. I've already gotten a reputation for knowing a bit more than the average student, and I regret it a little. I eithr get asked a lot of questions, or people are straight up rude for no reason. I don't know exactly why.

The thing that urks me, is the kids that don't do their homework, or interupt the teachers ith retarded high school type comments. You're paying for these classes, why waste it? My uncle teaches the powerflow class I'm taking, so I take that one a bit more personally when people are rude and disrespectful. But I even get upset with that jaskholes on my machining class that goof off. Its one thing to screw around with a wrench, but a lathe could do a whole lot of damage.