why do you beleave? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > General Discussion> Hotrodders' Lounge
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-30-2003, 09:29 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Post why do you beleave?

for many years now i have not beleaved in god. there are just to many questions that aren't answered and to many unbeleaveable things. i have a strong will to want to beleave but can't. there are so many religons out there and whos to say that only one is right?
when something good happens its- oh god did it- when something bad happens its- god will be with us- which is one of many reasons i don't bealive. christians say only christianity is right. why if some kid in asia was born to beleave in booda, always has and has always been faithful is his religon not right? is he going to hell? how do you know? because of a 2000 year old book that i think was written 200 years afterwords? how much can change in 200 years?- alot-
i am not trying to piss anyone off, like i said earlier i have a strong will to beleave and i am wondering why yall beleave so maybe i can have a better sense of it all and maybe i can beleave too.

please don't judge me.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-30-2003, 09:56 PM
banned

I personally don't believe, but I am tolerant of those who are tolerant. If someone preaches to me I'm not showing any respect for what they believe, if they mention something but don't try to force it on me I let it go.

I'm not going to get into why I believe what I do because I may upset some people, but I will tell you this, if there is a god and he is like everyone says, he won't care what you believe as long as you have done good.
Old 05-30-2003, 10:51 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: How to rebuild a Rochester Quadrajet 4MV carbureto...
Last journal entry: How to change auto shift timing on 200R4
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 21

I believe strongly in God. As an engineer, it is impossible to believe in anything other than a special creation (evolution can be easily disproved using probability laws and laws of thermodynamics). This grand design HAD to have a designer. NOTHING happens by chance.

I also believe that all people, including the young boy in Asia, will be given a chance to understand and be given a chance to make an informed decision. Some are called to understand now, most aren't. Those called now are called for a purpose to spread the Gospel. The bible teaches that God wants everyone to be 'saved' and I believe that most will, in their appointed time.

The Christian Bible no-where teaches of anyone going to an ever-burning hell, nor does it teach of anyone going to heaven as a final reward. It teaches nothing about keeping Christmas, Easter, Valetine's day, other than DON'T do it! What passes for Christianity today would be quite foreign to Christ.

The arguement that there can't be a God because of all the sorrow and misery He is allowing doesn't hold water. We as free moral agents as a people have thrown Him out of schools, made it illegal to pray to him, legalized adultry and fornication, promote killing of unborn children, curse Him daily with every imaginable epithet, teach our children he doesn't exist, and reject his laws in every part of our lives. Then we blame him for the harvest we are reaping from the above seeds we are sewing.

Wow, did you open a hornets nest!!
Old 05-30-2003, 11:37 PM
banned

WEll not to start a big arguement but why can't different religions seem to accept each other. I mean yeah they do to an extent, but it always seems to be. The buddhists (sp?, I'm sorry to any)will be given a chance to believe what we do. Well, in a way aren't most religions the same. They believe in one supreme being just that it takes a different form? That is one thing that has always bothered me. Who cares what religion somebody is, just because you believe what you do and they believe what they do doesn't mean either one is right. Both are a form of believing in a supreme being.

Another thing about religion, just because you go to church every sunday, and in your mind do everything the way that "god" wanted, doesn't mean you are actually a good person. I have seen a bunch of people who will use god as a tool to get angry with people when they themselves are not very good people. <---- biggest ones to use such tactics is many many many governments. (eg, jihads<-- sorry but blowing yourself and others up in the name of religion don't make you a good person,In God We Trust <---- does god approve of the bombs that land on innocent children?, how bout the old societies that would kill people in the name of RELIGION?, there are many many many more)

I now have probably pissed a bunch of people off, unintentionally. If you are one of those people you need to lighten up. Really you do, not everyone thinks the same, and we all have our FREEDOM.

I think I'm going to try to avoid further posts on this thread. I'm gunna get in a fight here, I just know it.
Old 05-31-2003, 12:03 AM

Last journal entry: better comparison before and after shots
Last photo:

Hey Dave, nice post. Right on Willys. I think that ALL religions, (irregardless of any intolerant opinions) serve the SAME GOD or ALLAH or whatever. God wants people to do the RIGHT thing,DO unto others as you would have them do to you. thats what all religions strive to get across. Dave and Willys are absolutely right in that Christianity has strayed far from Christ. Jesus was a far out cat. I mean, how many people do YOU know who would allow themselves to be CRUCIFIED on a freakin' cross so that you might not die.BUt I don't think He'd be to proud of the church nowadays.
but the Bible in revelations talks about the ABOMINATION the Adultress, or False religion, (i canthink of a bunch of "christian" religions that resemble cults.) heck you tell me the United States isn't an abomination before the eyes of God. (Dave, I bet you can't believe I said that )
Sodom and Gomorah were destroyed for being an abomination to God, well they didn't have legally binding same sex marriages and all the other crap the liberals have allowed in over the years. But I or You can't pray at a football game anymore? wth? and you know what was the coolest about Jesus? he hung out with dopers and whores. I wonder if they were greasy?
Oh yeah, Jesus and Muhammad were both HERE on this earth. so was Buddha,I mean really physically here, you can walk the literal paths they walked. They were all scholars of the way. but my advice to you would be to live your life , think about when your older, and your telling your grandkids your life story, if you wouldn't want to tell them about something, then don't do it. and when the time comes, you'll know what to do.
and Oh yeah, if all these folks believe in the devil, then why can't they see Jesus? cos with out God, there is no fallen angel. and don't think that there aren't demons loose in this world. I see 'em. call me crazy.......

way to stir it up AKM.
Old 05-31-2003, 12:15 AM

Last photo:

and in answer to your question, I believe because there are too many miraculous things in this world to not have had a Creator. Thank you Lord for hotrods and family and everything else.

whats the scripture, Hebrews 11:1 - Now faith is the assurance of things hoped for, the conviction of things not seen.

thats faith brother. all there is to it.
Old 05-31-2003, 12:38 AM
banned

I kinda wanna bring a point up here. I forgot this one. Not ment to change people or anything. Just a thinking question. What would be done with a person who claimed to be the son of people's creator in modorn day? What if he claimed he was Jesus who has come again? What if he even looked how people always depicted Jesus?

My best bet is he would be institutionalized. Why? Well because people aren't going to allow something so "impossible" to happen now, so why do they believe it happened so many years ago?
Old 05-31-2003, 01:07 AM

Last photo:

Dave, your right, but, Jesus never stated that He was the christ, any man who does, is a false prophet. Jesus never claimed to be anything other than a teacher and a son of God, as He taught we all are.

taKE that DMorris.

[ June 04, 2003: Message edited by: crazy larry ]</p>
Old 05-31-2003, 08:13 AM
Rooster

I believe in God, absolutely; but I don't believe people need to follow a religion to have a relation with God. most religious people to me seem like they are worse people than the nonreligious crowd. the Catholic church has enough wealth to feed every starving person on the planet, shelter them, provide health care for them, wipe out many of the earth's disease and dispair, but they don't. why not? because religion is a horrible thing. I could go on and on providing evidence for this arguement, but if you are honest with yourself you will see you already know all the evidence I could supply.

one point I'd like to make about the bible, the old testiment depicts a cruel and petty god that demands sacrfice, while the new testiment depicts a kind, loving and forgiving god. which to believe? I can find a quote in the bible to support anything form abortion to prolife; a professor I had in college once told me the bible has been quoted more times than all other books combined. he is probably right, and I would guess it is misquoted more often than not. so akm, to comment on your post, I would say a good start is to read the bible; everyone should read it no matter what their belief just so that you know what other people are talking about when the quote it. disregard the old testiment, it is alot of useless "this guy begot this dude who begot this guy". then make up your own mind about God. stoned pup makes a good point- if there is a god that is kind and loving, we're all heaven bound, and it doesn't matter if you believe in god, he believes in you.

now I have to go enjoy this beautiful day (I have lots of time today since I will not be going to church) that could only have been created by God.

- a sinner and proud of it
Old 05-31-2003, 09:31 AM
Slider in Wa.

Last photo:

Christ, did say "I am the way."
It is not about a religion!!! It is about a relationshp with Jesus. A personnel relationship. There will be all types and kinds of people in Heaven(streets of Gold) If you simply beleive that Christ was send from the father, walked the earth for 33 years, teaching, preaching, healing and working miracales. This same Christ dieded on the cross and arouse 3 days later. This death was for you and for me. So that we could have eternal life.
Jesus, said" In my fathers house, there are many mansions, If it were not so, i would have told you.I go there now to prepare a place for you. So that where i am , there you may be also."
If you had to cross the Shara desert , bare footed with no water to be saved,people would be dieing out there everyday. But because you simply must beleive,folks turn away for the one the true savior. I love and know this Christ that i can not see or touch. It is a blind faith. That is hard for people to understand or do.People worry,if i accept this Jesus, i`ll Have to change my life!!! But the secret is that if you know him as yours, you want to change!!!! The Bible has now been supported buy other documents( written at same time frame as the Bible), describing the same events , spoken of in the BiBle.
Thanks for having the courage to broch this topic.
God bless
Slider in Wa.
2 penny`s worth
Old 05-31-2003, 05:49 PM

Last photo:

thanks for the posts. i'm glad to see that no one is saying that i'm wrong, but just giving your own view like i originally asked.
each of you seem to really stand for what you beleive in and thats great. i wanted to hear your thoughts and you provided them.
this is the most i have heard about god in a while and weather it helps me to understand or not i am glad to have someone to turn to in a situation like this.
stone seems to think just like i do and i am glad that i am not the only one.
any other info on if you think the chuch is a profit organisation?
thanks for the posts.
Old 05-31-2003, 05:57 PM
a.k.a. Rusty Shackelford

Last journal entry: Another one
Last photo:

[quote]Originally posted by akm:
<strong>any other info on if you think the chuch is a profit organisation?
</strong><hr></blockquote>

I am a trustee at my church and I can tell you that the Baptist church is definitely not a profit organization. There is no one at the top reaping the cash. Offerings should always be put back into the church.
Old 05-31-2003, 08:02 PM

I go to a Catholic church and I don't see anyone getting rich off the collection plate.
Old 05-31-2003, 09:53 PM

I had a Christian upbringing, but later was taught in school that evolution was the popular and logical belief. So for a while I was of Atheist belief. Now I believe that minor evolutions have occurred, but I will never believe that the complex human body evolved from a blob of protoplasm floating in a tropical swamp. I believe our creator(s)(I think there were helpers) had knowledge, capabilities, and energies that are inconceivable to a human mind. The description that this creator is given in every culture from the day you are born, is"God". God may be called Allah, Buddha, Jehovah, Gitche Gummie, The Great Manitou, Lord God, etc., but every culture have a supreme entity that they worship and defend.

I believe that in the beginning a dialog was used to establish morals and order on the planet.The translations over the centuries, and political influences have grossly grossly altered these laws and commandments, from culture to culture. I believe this creator is real, but I don't believe everything in the bibles. Poor translations by medieval kings and churches may have distorted true meanings and history.

I believe dinosaurs and prehistoric man were here in an era predating present religions.

Why we are here, is a different issue. Are we a long time experiment for our creator? A zoo for a supreme astral culture, invisible to us? Maybe some alien kid's ant farm? Who Knows? Not us, that's for sure.

God bless us all.
Old 06-01-2003, 09:54 AM
a.k.a. Rusty Shackelford

Last journal entry: Another one
Last photo:

[quote]Originally posted by kitkar:
<strong>I had a Christian upbringing, but later was taught in school that evolution was the popular and logical belief. So for a while I was of Atheist belief. Now I believe that minor evolutions have occurred, but I will never believe that the complex human body evolved from a blob of protoplasm floating in a tropical swamp.

Thatís interesting, what you are talking about is called micro-evolution. It has been proven over and over again. Animals change color or size or something small. However people improperly use micro-evolution to support macro-evolution, species change into other species. There is no evidence of this taking place, ever.

[quote]Originally posted by kitkar:
<strong>
I believe dinosaurs and prehistoric man were here in an era predating present religions.

You might be interested to know that dinosaurs are motioned twice in the Bible. They are described as interacting with man, so they have to have lived at the same time. I will have to look up the passages if you want me to.
Large dragons and lizards appear in the legend of almost all cultures. They are even motioned in one of the earliest English text, Beowulf.

Recent Hotrodders' Lounge posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.