Why does my car pull to the left? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Suspension - Brakes - Steering
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-20-2003, 03:39 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

Question Why does my car pull to the left?

Recently my car (Ford Fiesta Si P reg) has started pulling to the left. Its doesn't happen when I brake, its just when driving that it happens. I have recently had a new rear suspension fitted to the car by Kwik Fit that has been squeaking on the drivers side of the car. I was wondering if the problem could be linked to this. I have had the wheels aligned and double checked that they are staight.

[ January 20, 2003: Message edited by: hitbob ]

[ January 20, 2003: Message edited by: hitbob ]</p>

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-20-2003, 04:32 PM
aka Duke of URL

Last wiki edit: Finding vacuum leaks Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1

Arrow

[quote]I have recently had a new rear suspension fitted to the car by Kwik Fit that has been squeaking on the drivers side of the car.<hr></blockquote>

I being a Colonial have no idea what a Kwik Fit is. Is it a service upgrade (performance) or has the rear suspension been rebuilt?

If you have had a four wheel alignment performed and are satisfied that it was done correctly, all four wheels should be straight (factory settings).

The only other problem you might have is a bad LF tire (switch to RF and see if this corrects the pulling). You mave have a LF brake caliper dragging or a wheel bearing going bad also. There may also be a defect in the rack (spool valve).

If there is a bad rear wheel bearing, the drag may pull it to one side or another and you have to correct the pull by turning the wheel slightly.

This will get you started.
Old 01-20-2003, 04:43 PM

Last photo:

If it is not any of the things that KULTULZ has listed then it could also be torque steering.If the alignment is correct the torque on the left cv shaft can be more then the torque of the right.
one quick test to see if it is the tire is swap the front tires(put the left on the right side and the right on the left side) then drive it if it is a tire then it should pull the other way.
The last thing we often do not consider is the road you are driving on and the super elevation or crown of the road can be pitched in a way for drainage the will allow the car to drift to the lift.
just my 2 cent worth
Old 01-20-2003, 05:20 PM
doesn't play well with others

Last photo:

Another possibility could be a left front brake caliper sticking. To test this jack up the front and have someone step on and off the brakes. Each time the person lets off the brake check to make sure their isn't excessive drag on the L/F wheel as compaired to the R/F. If their is excessive drag (a small amount of drag is normal from the transmission on a front wheel drive car) open up the bleader screw and retighten it. If it changes after this you had a pressure problem which is most likely a bad brake hose to that caliper. If opening and closing the bleader doesn't do anything than it is probably the caliper. You could even do this test for brake drag while cross-rotating your front tires as already suggested.
Old 01-20-2003, 09:57 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: How to rebuild a Rochester Quadrajet 4MV carbureto...
Last journal entry: How to change auto shift timing on 200R4
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 21

Ex police car. Donut shop was on other side of the street.

Recent Suspension - Brakes - Steering posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.