Hot Rod Forum banner

why doesn't my car cutoff

1K views 10 replies 7 participants last post by  OddRodder 
#1 ·
hello again why doesn't my car cutoff when i turn the ignition back to off i have go up under the hood unhook the battery and turn the the ignition like am trying to cut the car on.this is really pissing me off :boxing: :mad:

#3 ·
403pontiac said:
hello again why doesn't my car cutoff when i turn the ignition back to off i have go up under the hood unhook the battery and turn the the ignition like am trying to cut the car on.this is really pissing me off :boxing: :mad:
I'll trade ya, I have one that won't start! :D

#4 ·
Cut off

Doc here, :pimp:

A few things will cause this malady, A Short in the primary Ignition source to POWER...A Short OR mis-wire in the SECONDARY Ignition Circuit to POWER, OR you may need a diode on the Alternator power lead...or an electric Fan lead...and it could just be a bad Ignition switch (internally shorted to power)

You need to find where your coil is picking up power from when the switch is "OFF"...measure the coil wire with everything off and the battery hooked up...It should be zero...no voltage...If you find a voltage there, remove the fuses, one by one and see if the power goes away,If it does, you have a short in that circuit...

If that's all good disconnect the secondary ignition line from the solenoid, (If so equipped) If the power goes away, replace the solenoid (or find another switchable constant power source for it) If it does not go away follow the wire for any short to power.

If no power is present when you hook the battery up in OFF, but remains there after you shut the key off, and all the above is good, you may need a diode in the alternator, Disconnect the alternator, fire it up and shut it down, does it quit? If so..you need a diode.

What year model and engine displacement are we talking about here? Stock or aftermarket harness? Newly installed Electronic Ignition?

Try the above, answer the questions and we might be able to help you better.

Doc :pimp:

#9 ·
strikingthematch said:
You wouldn't happen to have any pictures would you?

There would be box in the engine bay with wires going to the batt.

red box upper left hand side. Your could be any number of colors but it should have a little box there *This is for ele. ing. only*

Chris
no my car doesn't have it just have a distributor

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.