Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Why don't my valve seals fit?
View Single Post
Old 01-07-2009, 12:19 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

i agree with every one of bogie's posts. the damper spring is called a damper for one reason--it dampens the harmonics of the spring!!! uncontrolled harmonics can kill a springs life. as far as the damper being there to keep from dropping a valve, i don't buy that. as bogie said--i have replaced broken springs over the years (usually on BBCs) and in every case it's one break where the upper coil just rests on the next lower coil, BUT the spring is still rests solidly aginst the head and still holds the valve shut sitting solidly aginst the retainer. the damper spring is there to dampen harmonics of the spring, the damper is an inteference fit inside the spring and rubs aginst the spring-dampening it (check the fit of a spring and damper off the engine)

maxpower, i have had one of those guide cutter tools in my box for decades. yes, they can be used with just a drill. the guide goes in the valve stem hole and keeps the cutter centered, it works great, i have used it many times...