Why the economic crisis could be a good thing. - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > General Discussion> Hotrodders' Lounge> Off-Topic
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-27-2009, 10:48 AM

Last wiki edit: Suspension: designs, shapes, sizes Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 51

Why the economic crisis could be a good thing.

I need to rant, I'm tired of people who act like you are bothering them by getting them to do their job. I went to a pharmasist today and got attitude although I was being very polite. Seems everywhere I go customer service has attitude. Its like all these people HATE their jobs.

This is why I think there is some good to come out of this economic crisis.

Hate your job?

Have a bad attitude?

Don't bother showing up because there are going to be 100 other people who want your job more than you do.

Rant over.

Advertisement
Advertisement

Old 01-27-2009, 01:34 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Ha,

Rip the $40K a year job from a guy doing industrial maintainence and tell him the best he can do now is a $20K job at the parts counter and see if you get met with a coke and a smile.

14 years later I still earn less than I did then, so does my boss and most people I know, and the cost of living is ungodly compared to then so, I ask you, Who the hell has a reason to smile?

Larry
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-27-2009, 02:02 PM

Last photo:

While I'm at it,

Just who do you know that has never has a bad day in their entire life? Do you think people can't tell when you're having a rotten day? Perhaps you're the only only person on the planet with an excusable reason for not doing your best to make everybody feel like your best friend?

For instance, I sit here in pain from an lymph node infection and every few minutes I wince and begin writhing because it hurts bad enough to make me want to lay down and die. But, I worked a full 8hr day because there's nobody available to take my place and I'll do so every day like I have done for 20+ years.

BUT, Do you think I smiled and greeted every single person I met this morning with an enthusiastic hello? Of course not, they got what they needed and in good time. It's perfectly obvious to any sane person that I was in pain, and would not have a good day no matter what. But do people like you care? Of course you don't, because nobody other than you is allowed to have a rotten day, show the effect of excrutiating pain, or even dismiss the required smile because your head feels like it's going to explode.

We just can't have you being inconvenienced by humanity, compassion or understanding for the PERSON behind that counter. No no no, the "robot" behind the counter must do it's best to make you feel like a million bucks every time it sees you in spite of the fact that it might be suffering an enormous amount of physical or emotional pain. It must serve you at all costs.

Now, I don't know precisely what kind of "attitude" you got today, or why, but, considering the amount of corporate garbage that gets injected into the minds of each and every person working the counter of a major corporation in this consumerized society, I can promise you that it was no trivial matter to the "PERSON" you were dealing with. Maybe it would be to you, but then not everybody is as important as you, are they.

Larry
Old 01-27-2009, 02:11 PM
Believe in yourself !!!!!!

Last journal entry: 41 WILLYS FRAME
Last photo:

When the economic is down,It will also bring down ''MOST'' of the people in it also.Just try in go in and make there day.It's not all about how people make you feel sometimes,But how well you can make someone else's day.Give it a try.I know when I put a smile on someone else's face,It put's a big smile on my face. Try giving and not taking...Just my thought!!!!
Old 01-27-2009, 05:02 PM

Wow coldknock relax, if someone is in pain sure enough everyone has a bad day here and there. However it seems every time I go anywhere no matter how polite I am the person behind the counter is snotty about 80% of the time.

Maybe I just get all the grumpy ones. I never blow up on them I say please and thank you and am very polite.

BTW I know the economy is a poor situation for MOST people however there are those few that need to get booted from their job so someone who really wants a job and is willing to make an effort can have it.
Old 01-27-2009, 06:11 PM

Last photo:

Forgive my enthusiasm, the tone of your post implies that you view people in the service industy as disposable. This may have been the truth at one point in time but in recent years more and more people have been forced to make careers in the service industry. At the level of employment we're talking about the only other option is welfare in most cases and I'd rather see them gainfully employed, even if it does ruffle a few feathers from time to time.

Larry
Old 01-28-2009, 10:23 AM

Nobody is really disposable its just if hard working people are getting laid off and they really want a job why shouldn't they be able to take someones job when they don't care about how they do or how many people they piss off.

I mean I know at least here in Western Canada alot of people have jobs who simply shouldn't. They make like 15-18 bucks an hour in the service industry and they don't even do their jobs (im talkin like mcdonalds and stuff). Now people who want to work and do a good job are getting laid off.

Hopefully things will just realign themselves a little.
Old 01-28-2009, 11:33 AM
HP Junkie

in this economy, everyone is disposable.

And working Service sucks. no one wants to do it, and you cant expect them to put on a plastic smile and pretend to be happy. I know far more people working service that hate their job than I do people that love their job. now that I think, I don't know *anyone* that likes their service job.

get some perspective man.
Old 01-28-2009, 05:35 PM

Last photo:

An attitude of gratitude

Has been awhile since I gave any thought to the really bad way people act,Why?I really had this problem bout ten to think about it ,more like twenty years ago and I thought why let these people waste a second of my time thinking about any of them.I became very seriously ticked off at everybody all the time .Soon as people see me comin they run off.I get about too ticked to tolerate and I go to the same places to pay my bills and i dont need anything else so I keep to myself mostly.It used to be the customer was allways allways right.well that sure changed over the years.I was in the biz of being nice guy in my shop and alot of guys owe me alot of bread.Maybe thats why these people run.They are staying in shape.In other words ma n take it and dont sweat it.I believe its part of the way it is now.But I do know a smile goes a long way.So here is one.

Last edited by moontanker; 01-28-2009 at 05:42 PM.
Old 01-28-2009, 06:10 PM

Last journal entry: 1930u more grill shell mods.
Last photo:

It's a hard world right now but we will turn it back around. I'm worried more about our kids but they too will get through. After hearing all the bad economic news yesterday I stopped by the video store and picked up American Graffiti. It was a great way to unwind and long about the days of youth when I cruised all night in the 409. Felt really great for a couple of hours and I had a great day today.
Old 01-28-2009, 06:26 PM
Believe in yourself !!!!!!

Last journal entry: 41 WILLYS FRAME
Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1930u
It's a hard world right now but we will turn it back around. I'm worried more about our kids but they too will get through. After hearing all the bad economic news yesterday I stopped by the video store and picked up American Graffiti. It was a great way to unwind and long about the days of youth when I cruised all night in the 409. Felt really great for a couple of hours and I had a great day today.

That movie always make's me feel better!!!!
Old 01-28-2009, 09:12 PM
Race it, Don't rice it!

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by coldknock
While I'm at it,

Just who do you know that has never has a bad day in their entire life? Do you think people can't tell when you're having a rotten day? Perhaps you're the only only person on the planet with an excusable reason for not doing your best to make everybody feel like your best friend?

For instance, I sit here in pain from an lymph node infection and every few minutes I wince and begin writhing because it hurts bad enough to make me want to lay down and die. But, I worked a full 8hr day because there's nobody available to take my place and I'll do so every day like I have done for 20+ years.

BUT, Do you think I smiled and greeted every single person I met this morning with an enthusiastic hello? Of course not, they got what they needed and in good time. It's perfectly obvious to any sane person that I was in pain, and would not have a good day no matter what. But do people like you care? Of course you don't, because nobody other than you is allowed to have a rotten day, show the effect of excrutiating pain, or even dismiss the required smile because your head feels like it's going to explode.

We just can't have you being inconvenienced by humanity, compassion or understanding for the PERSON behind that counter. No no no, the "robot" behind the counter must do it's best to make you feel like a million bucks every time it sees you in spite of the fact that it might be suffering an enormous amount of physical or emotional pain. It must serve you at all costs.

Now, I don't know precisely what kind of "attitude" you got today, or why, but, considering the amount of corporate garbage that gets injected into the minds of each and every person working the counter of a major corporation in this consumerized society, I can promise you that it was no trivial matter to the "PERSON" you were dealing with. Maybe it would be to you, but then not everybody is as important as you, are they.

Larry
How did I get invited to your pity party? Suck it up buddy, fake a smile and maybe I'll be back to further support your salary.
Old 01-30-2009, 11:05 AM
Be the MIRACLE!

Last journal entry: Running boards (part DUEX)
Last photo:

CT several years ago I ran into this on vacation at a fast food restaurant.We ordered and my little girl about 9 at the time needed some ketchup for her fries. I sent her up to ask for some. The lady ( I'll use that term losely) says here it is and don't come back and bother me. I should've got up in her face for treating a customer like that and demanded to see the manager but I didn't I was on vacation and was hoping for a good relaxing time. I'm the one who just helped her boss pay her wages weather she likes it or not. Maybe she was just having a bad day but I could have made it justifiably worse. A lot of people don't like their job but they can look for other work they don't have to dump on the customer for it. For my line of business if I dump on a customer, I'm immediately fired.
Old 02-02-2009, 09:37 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last photo:

When people give me attitude when I am giving them exceptional customer service, the price goes up!

Have a nice day!

Never fails to make me smile.
Old 02-03-2009, 05:23 PM
Be the MIRACLE!

Last journal entry: Running boards (part DUEX)
Last photo:

LOL! I love it 4Jaw. LOL!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.