Why are gas prices going up? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > General Discussion> Hotrodders' Lounge
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-10-2005, 08:43 PM
Jeep XJ and a Javelin

Last wiki edit: Compression test
Last journal entry: August 9, part III
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 7

Why are gas prices going up?

Like everyone else here, I'm not happy at all with gasoline prices. I've noticed about a week before the 4th of july gas prices jumped abour 30 cents a gallon with no apparent explanation. I can see 10 cents the weekend of, but cmon guys youre raping our wallets.

I think I just wasted my breath there. Oil companies dont care about us, they're about increasing their record profit margins.

Anyways, gas prices went down 10 cents for a couple days then went up 30+ cents a gallon in the area "because hurricanes may threaten petrol production in the gulf". Ok, I thought we had a shortage of refining capacity, not crude oil.

I don't get this, can someone please explain this to me?
-matt

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-10-2005, 09:27 PM
Gone fishin'

Last wiki edit: Removing stuck fasteners
Last journal entry: blah.......again
Wiki Edits: 2

Its just the government stealing our sanity little by little, while at the same time stealing our money by 20 cents a gallon.
Right now, there are hydrogen engines that are being developed to help with this kinda crap. My dad is helping with the business parts of the business that is starting out to work on this subject. They are also working on ethanol to substitute for gasoline so that it will work with any engine, even our older model engines. Im not sure on much of the details, Ill have to ask my dad later when he gets a minute.

Brad
Old 07-10-2005, 09:30 PM
current hot rod: CTS-V

Last journal entry: Lets Get Started With the Improvements
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Yea it jumped like 25 cents out my way, in one week. Kind of annoying.
Old 07-10-2005, 09:34 PM

Yeah................well I had to go to northern Ontario for the weekend....gas was 99.9/litre...........That's 3.78/gal for an American gallon............
Old 07-10-2005, 09:45 PM
im on a highway to hell

Last journal entry: new wheels and seats
Last photo:

get used to it boys and girls its not going to go down its just going to keep going up

although i agree that we are being a** banged every day buy the oil companys its not just them its supply and demand. asia and russia are growing at an incredible rate and are using more and more oil and saudi arabia is already pumping at near capacity. from what i understand different oil fields have different grades of oil some of it has more sulpher in it than others and therefor costs more to refine its not and endless supply folks and it could get ugly in the not to distant future.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/business/3708951.stm

this is a good one

http://www.businessweek.com/bwdaily/...7251_db039.htm

Last edited by helrazr3; 07-10-2005 at 10:08 PM.
Old 07-11-2005, 10:43 AM
NEVER use credit cards!

Last journal entry: car with tt2's, (stockers going back on)
Last photo:

yeah hellrazers right. the chinks are putting a million cars a year on the road if not more, they are starting to suck as much out of opec as we are and that means higher demand so up goes the price cause they cant make no more. the us hasnt built a refinery in like 25 years so our capacity, like you said, is maxed out. did you notice China wants to buy Unocal? if they do i would expect them to close every 76 station in the u.s. w/in a year. smooth move u.s. fking government! time to start spelling america with a K again
Old 07-11-2005, 01:10 PM
Chief Procrastinator

Last photo:

The biggest percentage of profit on gasoline sales goes to.... THE GOVERNMENT! a minimum of $.56 / gal. sure, the oil companies make a hefty profit, but they build the refineries, pay for raw materials, pay lots of wages and various taxes all along the production and distribution chain. The government at all levels skims it's cut right off the top. They are the thieves, not the oil companies!

For those who want to punish the successful oil companies, think about it, do you really want to tax them out of business and give government an excuse to nationalize gasoline production and distribution? We'd be paying $25.00 per gallon if it was a government monopoly.
Old 07-11-2005, 01:25 PM
Come Home Safe Soldier

Last journal entry: Headers
Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biggarmike
The biggest percentage of profit on gasoline sales goes to.... THE GOVERNMENT! a minimum of $.56 / gal. sure, the oil companies make a hefty profit, but they build the refineries, pay for raw materials, pay lots of wages and various taxes all along the production and distribution chain. The government at all levels skims it's cut right off the top. They are the thieves, not the oil companies!

For those who want to punish the successful oil companies, think about it, do you really want to tax them out of business and give government an excuse to nationalize gasoline production and distribution? We'd be paying $25.00 per gallon if it was a government monopoly.

Exactly, The Gov. talks alot about how to lower gas prices,when they tax the hell out of the gallon. The higher the price is at the pump,the more money goes into their pocket. This is whether you are an Oil Barron President or not. No Pesident is going to fight to lower fuel costs when it adds that much more to the tax base. This entire summer,the cost has skyrocketed,no one quit driving,boycotted fuel companies or anything else,and the Gov. knows it,so it is safe to keep the price up. No one can afford to drive,and at the same time,we can not afford not to drive. We have to work,eat and so forth.
In Louisville all we have as far as Public Transit are some busses. I bet I ride a public bus to work and back,It would take me two hours to get there,after switching busses three times,plus I work in a real shady part of town.I quit riding busses back when I was a teen. Me and a few buddies beat the hell out of three ******* for trying to jack us for our money. If they could not keep them safe then,I can only imagine what it is like today
Old 07-11-2005, 01:30 PM

Last photo:

That's funny, ya can't type ****** here but honky, cracker, injun, wop, greaser, spick, and kike work fine.

On to the oil.

Do you really think that the government would give up a huge chunk of welfare funds so that we could get some relief? Goof grief, the hood rats have to have that cheese ya know.

Larry
Old 07-11-2005, 05:25 PM
The AMC, FORD, & CHEVY Guy??!!

Last wiki edit: Improving fuel economy
Last journal entry: Finally on the road
Last photo:

D'OH wrong thread......

Last edited by 78novaman; 07-11-2005 at 06:30 PM.
Old 07-12-2005, 07:30 PM
Jeep XJ and a Javelin

Last wiki edit: Compression test
Last journal entry: August 9, part III
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by bullheimer
did you notice China wants to buy Unocal? if they do i would expect them to close every 76 station in the u.s. w/in a year. smooth move u.s. fking government! time to start spelling america with a K again
I mentioned it here, another thread of mine

to see the article about it click on the link at that thread.
Old 07-13-2005, 08:21 AM
I need a bucket of arc sparks

Last wiki edit: How to identify SB Ford heads without pulling them
Last journal entry: trunk floor
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1

Gas prices will only be able to go so high before people demand fuel efficient vehicles. The auto manufacturers will have to change their mind set and start making fuel efficient vehicles or they will go bankrupt. The gas companies know they can only push gas prices so high before this happens. The big oil companies don't want the price of oil to fall like it did in the mid and late eighties. The big oil companies don't want fuel efficient vehicles, the Government and Detroit have the same mind set. There is a fine balance that they must maintained or change will be forced upon them. If gas goes up to $3.00 a gallon expect to see the government finally do something about this.
Old 07-13-2005, 10:30 AM

Last photo:

I don't expect to see that bunch of yahoos do anything but smile because they're getting more money. Why should they care? We pay for every tank they use and the vehicles they use.

They ain't gonna smile when election time gets here.

Larry
Old 07-13-2005, 04:33 PM
The AMC, FORD, & CHEVY Guy??!!

Last wiki edit: Improving fuel economy
Last journal entry: Finally on the road
Last photo:

I think WE have the wrong mindset. If consumers would just band together and purchase fuels from companies that deal in the least amount of middle eastern crude, such as BP, Sunocco, Citgo, Marathon, & Certified, it would send a message to ExxonMobile that we are not going to make ourselves slaves to the Arabs. Diesel owners could buy bio-diesel or soy-diesel instead, or we could buy ethanol for our rods. I believe people tend to forget that they live in a consumer driven free market society. If there is a market base, they will get a product for it. Thus, a large consumer base needs to be rallied to boycott middle-eastern oil.
Old 07-13-2005, 08:19 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Carburetor
Last journal entry: Clean up
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by 78novaman
I think WE have the wrong mindset. If consumers would just band together and purchase fuels from companies that deal in the least amount of middle eastern crude, such as BP, Sunocco, Citgo, Marathon, & Certified, it would send a message to ExxonMobile that we are not going to make ourselves slaves to the Arabs. Diesel owners could buy bio-diesel or soy-diesel instead, or we could buy ethanol for our rods. I believe people tend to forget that they live in a consumer driven free market society. If there is a market base, they will get a product for it. Thus, a large consumer base needs to be rallied to boycott middle-eastern oil.

I"m not sure that would work, outlined here on snopes:

http://www.snopes.com/politics/business/saudigas.asp

K

Recent Hotrodders' Lounge posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.