Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Why I have grown to hate the Small Block Chevy..... an essay
View Single Post
Old 09-13-2006, 06:23 AM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

with respect to centerline, i disagree. i don't think i follow anyone, and i don't think i'm lazy. i happen to like the s.b.c. because it was the engine of my youth, i understand the thing, and it's like an old friend to me. in short it's a "comfort thing" i guess. if the thing breaks down on the side of the road i at least have a chance of getting a part and fixing it myself, or usually a mechanic in a strange town won't rape me too bad.

how about all the 32 fords running around that have storebought frames, glass bodies, all bolt on components, and of course gets passed off as a 32? it's a 32 like a new hyndai sitting on the showroom floor.

now a 49 merc tubbed and chopped with a high performance flattie----well--now that's different. few years back i was trying to get into the gate at indy raceway park during the street rods nats. there was a guy working the gate who asked me the year of my truck. when i told him it was a 50, he told me i couldn't come in. i asked him if it was o.k. to enter if i was going to work and pointed to the employee parking pass plastered to the windshield. " oh" he says. "that's different". in the meantime they were waving in fiberglass whatzits in left and right.
quite a few of the pictures of the iron on this website are great to look at, and i appreciate the work of many of the craftsmen who hang out here.

i did see one 32 that caught my eye recently. turbocharged 4 banger.

to each his own i guess, but i still like the smallblock. i am going with a 454 with my current project, but i guess when you think about it, they are also in the same boat.