Hot Rod Forum banner

Why I have grown to hate the Small Block Chevy..... an essay

55K views 316 replies 128 participants last post by  Canzus 
#1 · (Edited)
When reading this essay please don't get the idea that I'm bashing one of hot rodding's legendary power plants. I'm not. The small block Chevy is one of the most popular V8 engines ever built. It is reliable and has almost unlimited potential. Then why, you ask, do I hate this engine? The answer is very simple; there are just too damn many of them.

To be clear, the focus of this essay is on Street Rodding. That category which is generally considered to comprise pre 1949 vehicles. These cars and trucks are generally where engine swaps are most common and the builder has almost total control over the choices he makes. When talking about muscle cars or street machines the assertions of this essay won't always apply and that should be kept in mind when reading this paper. I am not condoning swapping out a 350 in a Nova for a Buick Nailhead. Although different, that swap wouldn't make much sense. However when it comes to Street Rods, the SBC has become not much more than a mundane "also ran."

I don't blame Chevrolet for this at all. I blame the people who are building street rods and the way they perpetuate the use of this engine as the solution to all problems and quite simply the "only" way to go. The popular claim that, "It's reliable and cheap to build," just doesn't hold water. Yes it is reliable, however it is NOT the only small V8 out there, and it is no more reliable (and only marginally less expensive to build) than any number of other domestic V8s. A good choice yes, the only choice?.. not by a long shot.

Let me ask you a question? When you go to a car show don't you get tired of seeing the same power plant in almost every street rod you walk by? I sure do. To me there is nothing more boring than another "cookie cutter" street rod powered by a small block Chevy. I have to ask what is wrong with the builders of these cars. Are they so unimaginative that they just have to use what everyone else does? Where is their originality, creativity, and individuality? These people certainly don't seem to lack these qualities when contemplating the paint scheme or the interior accoutrements so when choosing the engine for their street rod why do they "settle" for what can only be described as just another small block Chevy?

When it comes to choosing a reliable engine Ford and Chrysler along with many others have been building and selling reliable V8s for longer than I care to remember. Ford's venerable 289-302 family or Chrysler's 318-360 small blocks are just as reliable and have just as much potential as any SBC every built. So why do people flock to the SBC like moths to a flame? The answer to this question is not what most people want to here. It's because people by nature are just plain lazy.

Now that I've raised the blood pressure of every SBC owner out there let me explain what I mean. When building a street rod (and we're talking about pre-1950 vehicles here) most people for some unknown reason perceive that it is vastly easier to drop in a SBC than going through a little extra work figuring out how to get that Ford small block to clear the front cross member or spending a little time fabricating engine mounts for a Buick Nailhead. These types of problems are not insurmountable and with a little thought they can easily be overcome, but because most people are by nature lazy they take the easy way out and choose the SBC. By choosing the SBC for some reason the perception is that it's easier to do and there are fewer problems to solve. Yes, it probably does save some time and effort but it is not the only solution to the problem. The argument that the SBC is easier to install in most rods just doesn't stand the test when you think about some other V8s. The Chrysler 318 family for example also has a rear sump pan just like the SBC and this engine can be installed in any rod just as easily. This also holds true for several other domestic V8s. True a little thought and possibly a little extra work will have to go into engine mounts but the price of being an individual and a leader is almost always worth the extra effort.

OK so we have now established one reason the SBC is so popular. People by nature are lazy. Now let's look at another reason. People are, for the most part anyway, cheap. Being cheap however is a relative term. For the teenager that is building a 15 year old Camaro on a very tight budget (based on how much he earns flipping burgers after school) this means that every penny has to count and choosing the SBC is almost a necessity. However to the guy who's spending $10 to $20 grand or more on his prize street rod the slight difference in the cost of building a SBC compared to anything else is negligible. The fact that a set of pistons for the SBC costs $40 less than the same set for a Ford or Chrysler small block means nothing to this person. Then why do they "go with the flow" and choose the SBC? Because people also tend to be sheep. That's right; for the most part we are just a bunch of followers.

Anymore it seems to take a special person to break the mold and choose something different. Why else are there so few street rods with real engines like Nailheads, Flatheads, Hemis, BB Chryslers, BB Fords, Olds, Pontiac, AMC and yes even 348-409 Chevys? Because people are way to willing to follow the leader and just do what everyone else is doing. To me this is, to coin a term from the '60s, nothing more than a cop out! If all you want to be is a follower all your life then more power to you, but to the few people left who have the unique ability to think "out of the box" then the SBC is about as boring as they come.

Finally, I'm not blaming anyone for choosing to build a SBC. It is reliable, cheap to build and can deliver lots of horsepower. I've built my share of 302s, 350s and 327s too but one day I opened my eyes and realized that I no longer wanted to be a follower. I no longer wanted to blend into the woodwork and I was willing to take the time, use the brain power and expend the extra effort that it takes to be an individual. I know we are all by nature lazy and building cheap is almost always a necessity, but being a follower is really more of a choice than anything else. Do the hobby a favor and the next time you're considering building a street rod don't be afraid of being creative, or imaginative. For once be an individual and think "out of the box". Choose something other than what has become over the years a "cookie cutter" engine. Of course on the other hand if the entire reason you're building a street rod is to blend in than by all means go with the SBC. After all it is by far the best way to disappear into the crowd.

See less See more
#227 ·
BMM said:
The SBC is kind of like the woman most guys enjoy to have at home. Sure, they may like to go out and party wildly with the Nailheads, or flirt with a Flathead, or even date a I-6.

But, at the end of the day, they know the SBC will be there, ready to help.

Some people like their women wild, others like their engines wild. And if you can have both, all the better.
LOLOL. boy did I get a chuckle out of that. :D And so did my wife, who is a good old Stovebolt 6, even more dependable than a SBC and these days a little exotic. :)

Brian

#228 ·
BMM said:
The SBC is kind of like the woman most guys enjoy to have at home. Sure, they may like to go out and party wildly with the Nailheads, or flirt with a Flathead, or even date a I-6.

But, at the end of the day, they know the SBC will be there, ready to help.

Some people like their women wild, others like their engines wild. And if you can have both, all the better.

Never quite heard it put that way before LOL but hey it gets the point across :thumbup:

#232 ·
All I Know Is I Have A Pretty El Camino

BMM said:
P.S. Betty Page is the original SBC...which is why there is one every single vehicle in my family ;)
Ijust dropped a 1971 350 into. my 305 lasted for 300 thousand miles without any internal work. i am not a racer but an everyday user of my car who play a bit. All I can say is I loved my 440 cuda my 383 magnum in a rt s/e challenger. I also loved my 327 in my 68 camaro with a factory 4 speed.
LOve is what you own now. I can kick myself for getting rid of most of my cars for the money they are getting now. I am 54 and just like to cruz in vegas. If i want to get my kicks on rt 66 I take my 91 FXR-P out and just ride the wind.

#233 · (Edited)
It's amazing to walk through rows of meticulously buffed & manicured customs, only to see the same parts. SBC's, Mustang 2 suspensions, ford 9" rears -n- rows of similar body styles.

I think the whole concept was to build something unique. There's just too many people thumbing through the popular mags, copying other people's ideas. Many inturn pay someone to do 75% of the work using bolt together goodies (like the ones pictured in the magazines).

I personally take my own approach. I throw away the book -n- lose the concept of old school vs latest tech. I totally Ignore the latest trends -n-fads. I simply build what appeals to me.
For example:
I wanted to build a hot rod. I started with the powerplant. To me that's why they came about in the 1st place. You basically put a big motor in a smaller 30's lightweight coupe. I'm just amazed people are willing to fork over 50 k on a project & use a "generic" run of the "mill" motor. I think SBC's are great however, I own roughly 5 vehicles. When guests come by my place, they walk right by the Dart pro 1 Aluminum headed,(beautifully restored 350 Chevy in a really cool) 68 Chevy shortwide pickup & ask about the 67 GTO w/a 70 ram air 455. Now, that's a streetable motor. You don't need high pressure springs & solid lifter "full race" cams to run fast 1/4 mile times either. They make hp! easily. That venture only lasts till I open the door of my building containing two rather unique Early Chrysler Hemi powered cars. That big 455 is "cool" however, those huge heads & big valve covers w/the plug tubes on top really stand out. Esp/w unique intakes. You can use a 354 it's just as good (maybe better) for the street or the infamous 392. The 331's are great sources for parts (great recips if you run across a 354 block) 331's are limited to that early 50's cube syndrome. They all look the same. I choose the 354's n 392's for resale. I build for "value" not depreciation. There's a few tricks one has to know in oder to assemble them. Nothing too difficult however, you have to be a fairly skilled fabricator to install one. This is where I feel the generic rods are coming from. It's too easy to buy already pre assembled bolt on goodies then to fabricate your own. The 350 bolts right up to everyone elses front end stub,mustang 2 suspension , 9 bolt- bolt together pre - engineered systems. They come chrome plated & ready to install.

What I did was dropped the magazines & started with a powerplant (392 Hemi) great for resale. That's what you lose with a mildly built SBC.....resale. Of course I started out looking for a Model A & woke up! wait! I'm already joining the heard of sheep. I found something different. I just couldn't go traditional on the suspension either & I dig
the look of the old fashioned tranverse leaf straight axles. They just dont feel hotrodded when you drive them. Rather prehistoric. Everybody has a mustang 2 kit available. No that's too easy. To
me a hotrod also has a hot suspension. So I went with my version of a transverse leaf. A C-4 Corvette carbon composite fiber transverse leaf. 11" discs, forged aluminum A arms n spindles. I bought the whole suspension then grafted it into frame. A nine inch!!! ye right. I could buy one ready to bolt together with it's own 4 link for big $$$ however,opted for the Ebay route n scored a 12 cyl. Jag (dana posi) independent rear with inboard disc brakes. Of course I swapped the gear to a 3:73 immediately.
Hey, it would have been easy to put a 350 or 400 turbo automatic butttt...no that would be too easy. I opted for a Big block Top loader. They are the toughest to work with in rods, since the majority of the tailshaft configs are aft. I just made my own mounts, brackets, linkages, etc. etc. Wallah ! a one of a kind Rod! based on numerous hours of work. I forked very lil' $ over in man hours farmed.......... 'cept machinist n alignment. Build your own motor,trans,carbs,do your own fab,paint n body,interior & expect to reap an average mark up upon Resale of 300-400%.
If you can part with it.
Nope I'm not spending all that time & money to build something everybody else is building.
You won't fetch the resale on those rods using cheaper mass produced motors. The sheep will follow the heard.

#234 ·
Rob Keller said:
Well its not Pamela Anderson....

Not Enough Plastic in it :D

:thumbup:
Truth be told I AM married to one of Dolly Parton's cousins. My wife's maiden name is Parton. Kinda goes along with this line of thinking. Hemis have big valve covers and Dolly has big.... well, you know. :thumbup:

#235 ·
Looks like Pamela to me!

I have seen Mrs. Centerline! She looks like Pamela to me!

She's actually a very friendly and personable person. I don't know anyone that doesn't love her.

Centerline picked a winner, but she doesn't have a Hemi head! She is like a small block Chevy to me...nothing fancy, simple yet complex, reliable, smooth, plenty enough power, yet no racer. The kind of girl you'd take home to mom.

Now, maybe I'd compare her to my 348? Unique, yet mysterious, different enough to attract attention, and yet everyone likes it?

I seen a 409 in a Duece that looked awesome. That above all made Centerline's point to me!

Check this and the next 2 pics out!

http://s224.photobucket.com/albums/dd16/csmartin33/Nats_08/?action=view&current=409closeup-1.jpg

Steve

#236 ·
58Apache said:
..........I seen a 409 in a Deuce that looked awesome. That above all made Centerline's point to me!............ Steve
ANYTHING other than a SBC in any street rod is GOOD!!!!!

#238 ·
I'm probably in a tiny minority here; when I go to car shows, I like to see cars with their hoods closed, not open. Open hoods just ruin the lines of a car. I want to see the way the car sits, it's lines, it's architecture, not the engine. I really don't care what engine is in it, when it comes down to it, all V8's look basically the same to me.

For the record, I've owned Pontiac V8's, Ford 302's, a Ford 351, a Mopar 340, and my latest is the dreaded SBC in my Chevy truck-rod. I love them all, but really, a small block V8 is a small block V8 to me.

When I show my truck, the hood will stay closed. My engine bay is nice, but the vehicle will look way better with the hood closed to show the body lines and architecture, which is what turns me on.

#239 ·
AntnyL said:
I'm probably in a tiny minority here; when I go to car shows, I like to see cars with their hoods closed, not open. Open hoods just ruin the lines of a car. I want to see the way the car sits, it's lines, it's architecture, not the engine. I really don't care what engine is in it, when it comes down to it, all V8's look basically the same to me.

For the record, I've owned Pontiac V8's, Ford 302's, a Ford 351, a Mopar 340, and my latest is the dreaded SBC in my Chevy truck-rod. I love them all, but really, a small block V8 is a small block V8 to me.

When I show my truck, the hood will stay closed. My engine bay is nice, but the vehicle will look way better with the hood closed to show the body lines and architecture, which is what turns me on.
I'm with you. I prefer to show my mustang with the hood down. It's a run of the mill SBF. My T bucket motor on the other hand (in my avatar) does get a lot of attention, but there's no hood anyway.

It seems to me also that when it's a judged car show, people are supposed to leave thier hoods open. But at a lot of the larger "unjudged" shows or cruise ins, a lot of people leave thier hoods down. Unless you have a really exotic motor, I'd leave it down too.

#240 ·
the mighty(and rare) sbc

I love Sbc always have always will. Mr. Centerline I read you're "essay". Maybe I'm overly defensive about my favorite eng. family, but not all of us sbc guys are lazy or unimaginative. I belive in build what makes you happy, thats what it is all about. Build you're Hemis but dont look down you're nose at me for building my sbc. When I started to build my car the eng. I pictured was always a sbc. I'm not lazy I built the frame,suspension, ect. Sometimes I think the"bash the Sbc"is the new"slogan"to appear cool or different. How many "oh that's a belly button motor" guys secretly have one,r has had one,or several. Sorry I don't like nailheads and never built a Hemi but that doesn't make me lazy or a follower Thanks,All bow to the great and mighty Hemi!

#242 ·
topfuel55 said:
I love Sbc always have always will. Mr. Centerline I read you're "essay". Maybe I'm overly defensive about my favorite eng. family, but not all of us sbc guys are lazy or unimaginative. I belive in build what makes you happy, thats what it is all about. Build you're Hemis but dont look down you're nose at me for building my sbc. When I started to build my car the eng. I pictured was always a sbc. I'm not lazy I built the frame,suspension, ect. Sometimes I think the"bash the Sbc"is the new"slogan"to appear cool or different. How many "oh that's a belly button motor" guys secretly have one,r has had one,or several. Sorry I don't like nailheads and never built a Hemi but that doesn't make me lazy or a follower Thanks,All bow to the great and mighty Hemi!
You said it best: "build what makes you happy". Why criticize a fellow rodder for his engine choice? Next thing you know, people will be criticizing a rodder's lack of imagination because they decided to build a '32 Ford. Live and let live! :thumbup:

#243 ·
AntnyL said:
You said it best: "build what makes you happy". Why criticize a fellow rodder for his engine choice? Next thing you know, people will be criticizing a rodder's lack of imagination because they decided to build a '32 Ford. Live and let live! :thumbup:
Well said......I have SBCs because that is what I like.......not because they are the most popular and best v8 on the planet........ :rolleyes: ......I grew up with them and they are what I use. If someone wants to use a different engine, more power to them.

#244 ·
poncho62 said:
Well said......I have SBCs because that is what I like.......not because they are the most popular and best v8 on the planet........ :rolleyes: ......I grew up with them and they are what I use. If someone wants to use a different engine, more power to them.
Maybe I should have said that it's the aftermarket that is the problem. If they hadn't come out with all the stuff that makes it dead simple to install the SBC in anything then people might have taken a second look at their engine choice IN STREET RODS. If you're going to build a street rod then why build one just like everyone else's. If you're going to build a 32 Ford, that is very common then at least put a Nailhead, flathead, hemi or stovebolt in it instead of the WAY TO COMMON SBC.

#246 ·
What bothers me most about Chevy's is the attitude some people have that nothing else could ever compare. I don't hate the Chevy but I hate it when you see a nice Trans Am or GTO with a Chevy small block in it. I know that a lot of people that run only Chevy know way more about cars than I ever will but I have run into way to many people that have hacked up cars trying to fix them and said "I could've fixed it if it was a Chevy". I just want to scream at these people if you can't fix a Ford or a Chrysler you can't fix a Chevy either. I think a few bad experiances with stupid people have turned me away though. The same is true of other cars too. I always wanted to build a sleeper Honda until I started seeing them all over with a big muffler and a wing. I will build almost anything if I think it is cool.I have 3 Chevy motors in my garage but I also have a couple Ford 5.0's, a couple Pontiacs, a Chrysler 2.2 turbo and a few other odd motors. There are others I would love to have if I could find or afford them. I just don't like the attitude that I've seen way to much that if it is not a Chevy it is junk.

#247 ·
lets cut it up said:
Ok Ok I get it ....I am going dig out the ole 500 inch caddy for the 34 and shelving the '55 265. :D
I like it!!! :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

#248 ·
I still agree with Centerline and I agree with 47dodge. Back in 1987 my buddy bought a 75 Nova , I6, auto, it was puke green inside and out. He and I being Mopar friendly We put his 440 Magnum & Torqueflite in the Nova so we could drive it to the coffee shop. We hung out with the Bellybutton boys, They told my buddy that it was about time he got smart. One of the BBB's saw the tag on the front fender and said that GM didn't build a 440 engine, My buddy said no they didn't but Chrysler did. They ( BBB) said YOU DIDN'T.
My buddy smiled and said yes. For some reason they didn't talk to us much after that. My buddy's car he did what he wanted.

#249 ·
Sbc

Well, when I started my '28 coupe, I had two firm resolutions: 1) NO BILLET ANYTHING, and
2) IT WILL NOT BE RED.

After that, well... So it currently has a '69 LT-1, backed by a T-350, a MII front end and a 9 inch Frod (Dorf?) rear. However, I sorta kinda wounded the LT-1 (hint: If you have a shifter that works like a Gennie or a Lokar, - no "gates" for indivdual gears - then when you go to the strip, just put it in "D" - you will likely avoid the "oil-down" that got me a stern lecture!) :spank:

My wife's ride is a Lexus LS-series with the 4 litre, 4 cam, engine that gets a gazillion hp out of only 240 inches, and excellent fuel economy, too. Hmmmmmm

A tape measure reveals that,in spite of the 4 overhead cams and big huge hemi-style valve covers, it is exact same physical size as the SBC. (and a lot lighter!) :thumbup:

There are Aussie rodders who's rides are on the web, using this engine with 8 individual throttle bodies and velocity stacks, looking a lot like an old hilborn system, and they are getting INSANE amounts of power out of this engine (known as the 1- UZFE)

The engine comes from the factory with forged crank, forged rods, a 6 bolt main bottom end, etc..... :drool:

Ya gotta love the script on the valve covers that tells you it has four cams and 32 valves

Hmmmmmm

Unusual enuff for ya Centerline?

#251 ·
Dave57210 said:
Well, when I started my '28 coupe, I had two firm resolutions: 1) NO BILLET ANYTHING, and
2) IT WILL NOT BE RED.

After that, well... So it currently has a '69 LT-1, backed by a T-350, a MII front end and a 9 inch Frod (Dorf?) rear. However, I sorta kinda wounded the LT-1 (hint: If you have a shifter that works like a Gennie or a Lokar, - no "gates" for indivdual gears - then when you go to the strip, just put it in "D" - you will likely avoid the "oil-down" that got me a stern lecture!) :spank:

My wife's ride is a Lexus LS-series with the 4 litre, 4 cam, engine that gets a gazillion hp out of only 240 inches, and excellent fuel economy, too. Hmmmmmm

A tape measure reveals that,in spite of the 4 overhead cams and big huge hemi-style valve covers, it is exact same physical size as the SBC. (and a lot lighter!) :thumbup:

There are Aussie rodders who's rides are on the web, using this engine with 8 individual throttle bodies and velocity stacks, looking a lot like an old hilborn system, and they are getting INSANE amounts of power out of this engine (known as the 1- UZFE)

The engine comes from the factory with forged crank, forged rods, a 6 bolt main bottom end, etc..... :drool:

Ya gotta love the script on the valve covers that tells you it has four cams and 32 valves

Hmmmmmm

Unusual enuff for ya Centerline?
Dave,

Putting a Lexus engine into a pre-war rod is certainly different and cool, yet already done believe it or not! I was watching an episode of Car Crazy one Saturday nite (yes, I have no life!) and low and behold; a gorgeous 34 roadster with a Lexus 32 valver was featured. It looked great and sounded awesome too. The owner was a Lexus design engineer as I recall and a rodder, so he married both allegiances.

Antny :thumbup:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.