Why I have grown to hate the Small Block Chevy..... an essay - Page 10 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > General Discussion> Hotrodders' Lounge
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-02-2006, 08:58 PM
Sittin' on top of the world...

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by gdubstub
My...My...touched a teeny, weeny nerver there, huh Prime? Don't tell me...I'll bet you have a Chevy-pissing-on-Ford sticker in your back window.

Relax...I'm not knockin' SBCs...99% of all streetrodders on the planet can't be all wrong, huh, especially since you can get SBC stuff from the SBC rack at your local dairy queen, but I since my dairy queen was back-ordering valve covers this week, I had to go to Krispy Kreme, but just this once...

BTW, SBFs fit between the frame rails of everything, but you might have to go to a shorty oil filter...1985 Chrysler Reliant...$2.98...Checker Auto...done...damn...this rope itches.

George
No, as a matter of fact I don't have one of those stupid little pissy characters in my back window. There are so many killer old cars out there, tunnel vision alegance to one manufacturer is awful limiting - dontcha think?... If I could find a nice one, I'd trade my 53 Chevy hardtop straight across for a 53-54 Studebaker coupe and power it up with an early 283 or 327 small chevy motor. I just love those cars.
There's exception to just about every the rule though... I saw a real 66 GTO at a show a few years back and guess what.. It SPORTED a small block Chevy under the hood. If I was that guy, I'd leave the hood slammed tight.
The way the rodding world i'm associated with seems to see it, in order to get away with a Chevy motor in something other than a Chevy without taking flack for it, the ride has to be at least 60 years old. I can live with that notion, i'm not purist anything.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-03-2006, 03:58 AM

Last wiki edit: Mopar tapered axle rear brake conversion
Last journal entry: What I'm doing now...
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 49

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kallie49
.....There was no mention of race, religion or color or any mention of bigotry; ......
Maybe you should go back and look up the definition of a couple of those "big words" you used before you try to use them again. People never should use words they don't understand.
Old 08-03-2006, 08:10 AM

Last photo:

Why I love the Small Block Chevy

Centerline

I installed my first Chevy Small Block in my 40 Ford coupe in 1968, as you know their were a lot less Hot Rods than there are now . It was not a cookie cutter install as it is now , I will agree that it seems all most every new Hot Rod built has a Small Block Chevy motor, mustang II front end and a Ford 9 inch rear end . along with a 350, 400, or 700R4 Chevy Trans .

This package works great and everyone knows it , sure there are other great engines packages and trans you could use, but today there are a lot of guys who have cars built that want to have what every one else has . Should they be criticized for it, I don't think so .

You could say the same thing about everyone using the Ford 9" rear end, and the mustang II front end , but there again it has proven to be a great package, so I think we all need to take a deep breath and relax and not worry what every one is doing in this great hobby, and just enjoy each and every Hot Rod and be glad that we can.

FAT40
Old 08-03-2006, 10:39 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Maybe you should go back and look up the definition of a couple of those "big words" you used before you try to use them again. People never should use words they don't understand.
Funny, cause I have a masters in criminology/psychology and a minor in anthropology, I know full well what they mean, it seems full well to me that you do not.....repeat after me, google scholar is your friend, its not as good as alot of the research websites but it does the job
Old 08-03-2006, 12:57 PM
How’s that hopey-changey thing

Last wiki edit: Determining top dead center
Last journal entry: Quicky frame dolly
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Centerline
Sorry but I've never been into Psychodrivel and I don't buy your assertions one bit. Also, I strongly resent the fact that you're insinuating that I am a bigot. I categorize people by a lot of things but race and color have never been in the equation.

Your truck shows a lot of creativity and excellent workmanship everywhere except under the hood. You could have had one of these and matched the creativity on the outside with a little on the inside if you had just wanted to take the time to do it. However you wanted a SBC and that's what sits between your frame rails.

The above picture of course is certainly not the only way to go but when someone puts a SBC in a street rod just because it's easy or "that's what everyone else is doing", it shows NO imagination in my book.

On another note, over the next three days I'll be attending the NSRA Nationals and of the 10,000-12,000 street rods there probably 80% (mostly Fords) will be powered by a SBC. This alone is a perfect example that shows most people are natural born followers, not leaders.
not seeing any of that imagination you refer to with your little picture. am I missing something? ............ Oh I get it, you are a leader because you have a truck with a hemi ........ wow! innovative the only one on the planet. Hemi woop de do. One thing you can take to the bank is this, the top dogs, leaders or any other top of the heap products always have the ankle biters. Being the best at anything always means the rest are jealous, and the BEST becomes a target of the also rans ..................... GO SBC you rule the NUMBERS prove it
Old 08-03-2006, 03:09 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kallie49
Funny, cause I have a masters in criminology/psychology and a minor in anthropology.....
If you want to throw degrees around fine. I have a Bachelors in secondary education and an MBA. Now that the pleasantries are over please do everyone a favor and do yourself a favor and read the essay that started this thread before you get all in a huff and start insinuating that I'm a bigot again. If you are bound and determined to psychoanalyze me that would be a good place to start.

Last edited by Centerline; 08-03-2006 at 03:20 PM.
Old 08-03-2006, 03:19 PM
Where's my Sawzall?

Last wiki edit: Window removal and installation
Last journal entry: More progress...
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 2

Maybe missing the point....

Quote:
Originally Posted by pepi
not seeing any of that imagination you refer to with your little picture. am I missing something? ............ Oh I get it, you are a leader because you have a truck with a hemi ........ wow! innovative the only one on the planet. Hemi woop de do. One thing you can take to the bank is this, the top dogs, leaders or any other top of the heap products always have the ankle biters. Being the best at anything always means the rest are jealous, and the BEST becomes a target of the also rans ..................... GO SBC you rule the NUMBERS prove it

Lets face it, we are all here to modify what we have, if we were happy with stock or restored cars this site would not exist. I think the point Centerline is trying to make is why be satisfied with just a 350/350/9 inch simply because that is what the aftermarket tools up for when making frames, mounts,kit chassis, etc.???

I could have left the stock 223 in the Kustomsledd alone and concentrated on just doing bodywork and adding air ride. I chose the big Caddy 472/400/8 inch because it's different, eye catching appeal, plenty of power for me in stock(reliable) configuration, and I don't think anyone else within 500 miles of me has one "just like it".

To me the cost factor does'nt have anything to do with it. I traded some parts for others, bought some, and when I make mounts it takes the same amount of time for whatever brand engine/trans. To me the fun is in building so why would I buy pre-made mounts? If I wanted a small Chevy it takes the same time and materials cost as the Caddy mounts did. I bought my motor for $175 from a Mich buddy, and drove 100 miles roundtrip to get it. My local yards want about the same no matter what the brand....

Seems the Chevy fans are taking this as a rip on 'their' brand, I wonder if the thread would have the same impact if the subject was... "Why I hate the 9 inch Ford rearend..."
Old 08-03-2006, 03:21 PM

Last photo:

Well said Doc. People are jumping in without ever reading the original essay and they have NO clue what this conversation is all about so they get their dander all up and have a hissy fit.
Old 08-03-2006, 03:30 PM
Where's my Sawzall?

Last wiki edit: Window removal and installation
Last journal entry: More progress...
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 2

One more thing...

They are called OPINIONS, the topic of this thread is an OPINION, not a means to bash a particular brand. The only thing mentioned was the proliferation of Chevy motors in the cars at the shows or in the magazines. Sameness leads to boredom... so that is why I look for cars with ANYTHING but a small Chevy V-8... not because I hate them, just there are only so many ways to dress them up before they become common as the pattern on the wallpaper.... hey now there's an idea. I should make up computer wallpaper with a bunch of pics of small Chevys, and post it up and you all can debate about where the pattern repeats itself...
Old 08-03-2006, 03:33 PM
Lost in the 60's

Last wiki edit: Removing stuck fasteners Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 4

For those who missed it....GO HERE for the Original Essay by Centerline Why I have grown to hate the Small Block Chevy..... an essay I have a sbc in my hot rod and the essay did not piss me off. The essay was one mans opinion...and he is entitled to that. Its no big deal to me. I have used Y-blocks, wedge heads, flat heads, nail heads, and Olds Rockets in the past. I liked them all. I just build what I have access to or can get. My next one will probably be a sbc again as I have aquired a really nice tri-power set-up for one.

Last edited by Henry Highrise; 08-03-2006 at 03:55 PM.
Old 08-03-2006, 08:06 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henry Highrise
..... My next one will probably be a sbc again as I have aquired a really nice tri-power set-up for one.
Well, go for it Henry. If you're gonna go with a SBC at least go with some interesting carburation.
Old 08-03-2006, 08:15 PM
Lost in the 60's

Last wiki edit: Removing stuck fasteners Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 4

See there........I did not get pissed at Centerline..........Centerline did not get pissed at me. We respected each others opinions even though they differed. Now ...Whats wrong with the rest of you guys??? Sheeeeesh!
Old 08-03-2006, 08:55 PM

Last photo:

I read the essay, twice actually, and it didnt piss me off I saw alot of points I agree with and some I did not (that is if you read my posts as well). I presented an alternative point of view complimentary yet slightly contradictive to the threads originator. Again I saw alot of valid points in the original essay, nothing to get mad about but to incite some good ol' fashioned debate. That said to add to me and centerlines pissin' match (that has nothing to do with SBC's)

Quote:
do yourself a favor and read the essay that started this thread before you get all in a huff and start insinuating that I'm a bigot again.
Actually I believe it is you that needs to go back and reread my post, as well as reteach yourself (you gotta deg. in education you'll figure it out) what I actually said, I am very careful about the insinuations I produce and in no way shape or form did I ever imply you were a bigot....again you did, but not me. Culturalism and the definitions therein is often a double edge sword of sorts; therefore if you percieve that I called you a bigot, then I will apologize for that, that was not my intention yet a perception on your part.

Nuff said now that thats over with.....

lets talk about old crap thats worth talkin bout, in between of working on my doctorate in my "spare time" and flying helicopters for a living I gotta get some sort of release that doesnt involve heavy thinking or the responsibility of 36 million bucks in hardware and four lives....
Old 08-04-2006, 07:19 AM

Last photo:

Why I Love the Small Block Chevy

Guys

As you all know the only outside difference from A Chevy Small Block and A Ford is where the Distributor sets, may be some head differences . They have all the same dress up parts available so in reality they all get to look alike, unless you are running a Hemi . So if you are running a Old's , Caddy , Hemi or something else , more power to all of you if it makes you think you have used your imagination or were more inspired and not a lazy as the rest of us.

I my self still know that the Chevy Small Block was right for me in my car , and to all of you that run the same welcome to the club , I still say it don't make a hoot what you run in your Hot Rod as long as it makes you happy , and we all need to enjoy the hobby, and each other rides with out being so critical .

FAT40
Old 08-04-2006, 11:06 AM
Old Crusty Streetrodder

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrimeMover
No, as a matter of fact I don't have one of those stupid little pissy characters in my back window. There are so many killer old cars out there, tunnel vision alegance to one manufacturer is awful limiting - dontcha think?... If I could find a nice one, I'd trade my 53 Chevy hardtop straight across for a 53-54 Studebaker coupe and power it up with an early 283 or 327 small chevy motor. I just love those cars.
There's exception to just about every the rule though... I saw a real 66 GTO at a show a few years back and guess what.. It SPORTED a small block Chevy under the hood. If I was that guy, I'd leave the hood slammed tight.
The way the rodding world i'm associated with seems to see it, in order to get away with a Chevy motor in something other than a Chevy without taking flack for it, the ride has to be at least 60 years old. I can live with that notion, i'm not purist anything.
I hear ya...I most definitely am not anti-Chevy so much as I am anti-establishment. As Bill said, when he gets to the Nats, 80% of ALL cars will have 350s in them. As I said earlier, it's a self-perpetuating phenomenon that manufacturers sell swap kits for popular engines (sbc 350), and un-imaginative folks will swap 350s because swap kits are available...PLEASE...someone step out of the conga line and invent something new!!

I yawn as I go by the motors in most cars in any given show as most folks do, and that's exactly why I decided to break away from the pack. I dropped a SBF and driveline into my '39 Chev and I get reactions...nasty remarks from the mental hillbillies, pats on the back and handshakes from the Ford guys, good natured poking from the chevy guys, collective discussions from the technical minded as they hover over the engine, photos up the wazzoo...no yawns...

George

Recent Hotrodders' Lounge posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.