Why I have grown to hate the Small Block Chevy..... an essay - Page 12 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > General Discussion> Hotrodders' Lounge
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-07-2006, 04:12 PM

Last wiki edit: Mopar tapered axle rear brake conversion
Last journal entry: What I'm doing now...
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 49

Quote:
Originally Posted by runn141
you and those dinosaur mopars,the 1 reason chevrolet is above all others, is the ability to interchange. ford has several bellhousing patterns. and whats the deal with the torque coverter and flywheel being 1 piece on mopar engines. now before you get all emotional im not bashing your mopars
Between engine families Mopar and Ford have just about as much interchangeability as Chevrolet does. As far as the torque converter and flywheel being one piece on Mopars.... that's the way they wanted it. Just like Chevy putting the distributor in the back where no one can reach it easily. That's the way they wanted it. You may think of Mopars ad dinosaurs but remember to be competitive in Top Fuel, Funny Car etc, you have to run a Hemi. Not bad for dinosaurs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-07-2006, 04:20 PM
I Love VTec

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Centerline
You may think of Mopars ad dinosaurs but remember to be competitive in Top Fuel, Funny Car etc, you have to run a Hemi. Not bad for dinosaurs.
who developed the hemi design? the welch motorcompany. who owned the welch motor company? general motors. nuff said
Old 09-07-2006, 04:25 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by njbloodline666
who developed the hemi design? the welch motorcompany. who owned the welch motor company? general motors. nuff said
Get your facts right. GM didn't exist when the hemi design was created.

The hemi you're referring to was the 1903 Welch, built by Chelsea Mfg. Co., Chelsea, Michigan. GM wasn't even organized until 1908 and didn't purchase the Chelsea Mfg. Co. until 1909. However there is evidence that at the same time the Pipe car company of Belgium was manufacturing a similar design.

FYI, Chrysler never claimed to be the originators of the hemi design. They do however own the name Hemi. And if you check the books you'll see that virtually ALL competitive Top Fuel and Funny Car racing teams use a version of the CHRYSLER HEMI.

Last edited by Centerline; 09-07-2006 at 04:41 PM.
Old 09-07-2006, 04:32 PM
I Love VTec

Last photo:

from what i understand the hemi was developed in 1903 by welch, the company was then purchased by general motors in 1909....well at least thats the earliest info i can find

Last edited by njbloodline666; 09-07-2006 at 04:35 PM. Reason: addind some humble pie
Old 09-07-2006, 05:28 PM
SB S10

Last photo:

Quote:
Get your facts right. GM didn't exist when the hemi design was created.

The hemi you're referring to was the 1903 Welch, built by Chelsea Mfg. Co., Chelsea, Michigan. GM wasn't even organized until 1908 and didn't purchase the Chelsea Mfg. Co. until 1909. However there is evidence that at the same time the Pipe car company of Belgium was manufacturing a similar design.

FYI, Chrysler never claimed to be the originators of the hemi design. They do however own the name Hemi. And if you check the books you'll see that virtually ALL competitive Top Fuel and Funny Car racing teams use a version of the CHRYSLER HEMI.
i dont care who invented the hemi. the hemi has nothing to do with what im talking about. its all of em the vehicles the trucks everything, what ive seen and heard about the hemi creation on tv so you know i was not back in before my time somehow. is that the cylinder walls failed forthe 1st 5 or 6 years of production so its mainly the durability. everyday i see old chevrolets old fords still running 79 models on back. i can still find those motors in good enough shape to have machined, and the mopars well i guess died off. now i sound like im bashing mopars but you wont let it die.
Old 09-07-2006, 05:34 PM
SB S10

Last photo:

Quote:
Between engine families Mopar and Ford have just about as much interchangeability as Chevrolet does. As far as the torque converter and flywheel being one piece on Mopars.... that's the way they wanted it. Just like Chevy putting the distributor in the back where no one can reach it easily. That's the way they wanted it. You may think of Mopars ad dinosaurs but remember to be competitive in Top Fuel, Funny Car etc, you have to run a Hemi. Not bad for dinosaurs.
thats also why they have sump problems and in top fuel not one damn part is factory made its all aftermarketprobably the only thing original is the bare block and then it probably crate. in truck and tractor pulls there are alot of hemis , backed by gm turbo 400 trans.
Old 09-07-2006, 05:40 PM
SB S10

Last photo:

you know CENTERLINE, ford had there version of a hemi they made 7 . never was on the market because chrysler cried we'll take ours off the market if you dont put yours on. as much as you know, you shouldnt deny that happened.one of those is in the original bigfoot monster truck.
Old 09-07-2006, 06:12 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
......... now i sound like im bashing mopars but you wont let it die.
That's simply because you don't have your facts straight. Don't get me wrong, I understand that you've been corrupted by all that "Chevys are the best" garbage but when it gets right down to it each manufacturer has its good and bad points.

I do have to ask a question though.... If old Chevys (or Fords for that matter) are so great then why do Mopars demand top dollar at creditable muscle car auctions. One answer.... they're worth it.

As far as letting it die..... This was my article and I reserve the right of rebuttal.

Quote:
you know CENTERLINE, ford had there version of a hemi they made 7 . never was on the market because chrysler cried we'll take ours off the market if you dont put yours on. as much as you know, you shouldnt deny that happened.one of those is in the original bigfoot monster truck.
You need to be a little more careful. Your credibility (among anyone old enough to have lived through the muscle car era) is dropping significantly by offering fallacy as fact. What killed the 426 hemi was government mandated pollution controls. Chrysler was not willing to build a sub standard version of the hemi, that's all. Ford had nothing to do with it.

Finally, Ford's version of the hemi was run in NASCAR from about 1969-1972. I'm sure one of our Ford gurus will correct me if I'm wrong on the years. The same thing killed Fords 429.... government mandated pollution controls.

Last edited by Centerline; 09-07-2006 at 06:24 PM.
Old 09-07-2006, 07:50 PM
Car? Truck? Who Cares

Last journal entry: First week of December
Last photo:

My personal opinion on why you do not see old Chrysler Products with the regularity of Ford or GM..

Bodies went to hell pretty quick all unibody construction, once the cancer got hold the car was going down.

When I went to buy a new truck in 79, Dodge was my first choice.
I looked a 2-tone blue dodge 150 extended cab---Workmanships was the pits.
The trim in the rear was loose, the ONLY vehicle I have EVER been in that had road noise before it was taken out of park. When I closed the driver door, the upper trim moulding popped right off onto the ground. This was NOT a stripper truck--had most all options.

I bought the 79 C-10, Workmanship was much better. Other than that, the only reason I bought this particular truck was color---Long before BLACK was popular. Still have that truck, bought it when I was 18, There is still not a rattle one in that vehicle. Rides like a Lincoln, and is much tighter than my 05 Ranger.

So it was the bodies----not the drivetrains.

Bryan
Old 09-07-2006, 08:02 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryan59EC
My personal opinion on why you do not see old Chrysler Products with the regularity of Ford or GM..

Bodies went to hell pretty quick all unibody construction, once the cancer got hold the car was going down.

When I went to buy a new truck in 79, Dodge was my first choice.
I looked a 2-tone blue dodge 150 extended cab---Workmanships was the pits.
The trim in the rear was loose, the ONLY vehicle I have EVER been in that had road noise before it was taken out of park. When I closed the driver door, the upper trim moulding popped right off onto the ground. This was NOT a stripper truck--had most all options.

I bought the 79 C-10, Workmanship was much better. Other than that, the only reason I bought this particular truck was color---Long before BLACK was popular. Still have that truck, bought it when I was 18, There is still not a rattle one in that vehicle. Rides like a Lincoln, and is much tighter than my 05 Ranger.

So it was the bodies----not the drivetrains.

Bryan
Very true. Chrysler's quality control was not the best during the 70's and 80's for sure. It's also widely known that their bodies would fall apart long before their drive-trains. That's why Chrysler muscle cars of the 60's and early 70's are so expensive now days.
Old 09-07-2006, 08:12 PM
SB S10

Last photo:

Quote:
That's simply because you don't have your facts straight. Don't get me wrong, I understand that you've been corrupted by all that "Chevys are the best" garbage but when it gets right down to it each manufacturer has its good and bad points.

I do have to ask a question though.... If old Chevys (or Fords for that matter) are so great then why do Mopars demand top dollar at creditable muscle car auctions. One answer.... they're worth it.

As far as letting it die..... This was my article and I reserve the right of rebuttal.

You need to be a little more careful. Your credibility (among anyone old enough to have lived through the muscle car era) is dropping significantly by offering fallacy as fact. What killed the 426 hemi was government mandated pollution controls. Chrysler was not willing to build a sub standard version of the hemi, that's all. Ford had nothing to do with it.

Finally, Ford's version of the hemi was run in NASCAR from about 1969-1972. I'm sure one of our Ford gurus will correct me if I'm wrong on the years. The same thing killed Fords 429.... government mandated pollution controls.
my facts come from the guys from the muscle car era.id say the demand for top dollar is there rare. nascar ford hemi was the 429 boss. the 7 motors im talkin about a diesel instructor i had said those had camshafts. and your right you have the right of rebuttal i was talking about another thread
Old 09-07-2006, 09:04 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
and whats the deal with the torque coverter and flywheel being 1 piece on mopar engines. now before you get all emotional im not bashing your mopars
Let me see if I can explain it to you....

An automatic car has a FLEXPLATE and a torque converter. The flexplate bolts to the crank, and the torque converter attaches to it.
Chevy and Dodge, they BOTH have a flexplate and a torque converter.

A FLYWHEEL is used on a manual transmission vehicle.

The RING GEAR, which the starter uses to engage to and turns the engine over, is attached to the torque converter on a MoPar, and it is on the flexplate on a Chevrolet.

End of confusion for you, I hope!
Old 09-07-2006, 09:24 PM

Last photo:

I'm not sure I "hate" the small block Chevy!
I think they have their place, but I'll agree- in a street rod I see more imagination shown with a 348/409 or a small block with some pizzaz- maybe a Weber set-up, or a blower, or...

They are the workhorse that made Chevy what it became, and that's saying alot. I think the old SBC has been overdone now, is that the thinking?

There are the LS engines competing for engine compartments now too, high tech engines probably find their way into the big buck rods nowadays more often than a camel hump 327, if you know what I mean.

Cheap, and proven, I don't think they will fade away soon, that's for sure.
Old 09-08-2006, 06:59 AM
EFI Rules and Carbs Drool

Last wiki edit: The FREE T Bucket plans
Last journal entry: Sold Everything for a new project
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 5

Hey runn141,

Here some good info on the Ford 427 SOHC:

http://phystutor.tripod.com/stang/engines/427sohc.html

Here's some more:

Need help from the Ford historians
Old 09-08-2006, 09:13 AM

Last photo:

I'm not that much of a "Ford" guy but that was interesting reading. One has to wonder what Nascar was thinking. Just like today with the "future car" they'll be using in some races next year. Their rule changes and the mandate that all the cars have to be exactly alike have taken all the "competition" out of Nascar racing and now the "racing" they have left takes place in the pits.

And don't even get me started on allowing Toyota to run....... I own one but there's no way a foreign car belongs in Nascar. Someone needs to grab Nascar's management by the nape of the neck and shake some sense into them.

Recent Hotrodders' Lounge posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.