Why I have grown to hate the Small Block Chevy..... an essay - Page 13 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum



Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > General Discussion> Hotrodders' Lounge
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
  #181 (permalink)  
Old 09-08-2006, 12:51 PM
njbloodline666's Avatar
I Love VTec
 
Last photo:
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: fairview nj
Age: 28
Posts: 306
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Centerline
I'm not that much of a "Ford" guy but that was interesting reading. One has to wonder what Nascar was thinking. Just like today with the "future car" they'll be using in some races next year. Their rule changes and the mandate that all the cars have to be exactly alike have taken all the "competition" out of Nascar racing and now the "racing" they have left takes place in the pits.

And don't even get me started on allowing Toyota to run....... I own one but there's no way a foreign car belongs in Nascar. Someone needs to grab Nascar's management by the nape of the neck and shake some sense into them.
nascar is a business, and im sure toyota paid them a significant about of money to run, of course i dont know exactly what the deal is. i bet within the next few years though, toyota will become a serious threat to the big 3 as far as racing goes, new team, new designs. i also bet because of this we will see some new cool block and head designs. did u see the new dodge block, nice block super high cam tunnel and a wet deck. did u ever play around with a nice set of SB2 heads? i think this is a good deal, parts will have to improve.

    Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
  #182 (permalink)  
Old 09-08-2006, 06:13 PM
runn141's Avatar
SB S10
 
Last photo:
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location:
Posts: 1,258
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 20
Thanked 15 Times in 15 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by njbloodline666
nascar is a business, and im sure toyota paid them a significant about of money to run, of course i dont know exactly what the deal is. i bet within the next few years though, toyota will become a serious threat to the big 3 as far as racing goes, new team, new designs. i also bet because of this we will see some new cool block and head designs. did u see the new dodge block, nice block super high cam tunnel and a wet deck. did u ever play around with a nice set of SB2 heads? i think this is a good deal, parts will have to improve.
centerline said it right nascar will never let another manufacturer get the upperhand. they want it to be like wrestling all scripted.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #183 (permalink)  
Old 09-08-2006, 06:22 PM
njbloodline666's Avatar
I Love VTec
 
Last photo:
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: fairview nj
Age: 28
Posts: 306
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by runn141
centerline said it right nascar will never let another manufacturer get the upperhand. they want it to be like wrestling all scripted.
we will see about that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #184 (permalink)  
Old 09-08-2006, 06:24 PM
runn141's Avatar
SB S10
 
Last photo:
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location:
Posts: 1,258
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 20
Thanked 15 Times in 15 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by njbloodline666
we will see about that.
i probably wont, the sport has went downhill since nextel took over.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #185 (permalink)  
Old 09-12-2006, 05:27 PM
67caddychris's Avatar
Registered User
 
Last photo:
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Seattle
Posts: 9
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
re: Why I have grown to hate the Small Block Chevy..... an essay

My 2 cents...

I see centerline's point. I like hotrods because they're individual -- the more so the better. I drive an old car because few others do, more than that I'm building it the way I want to doing stuff that i like and others will probably think is stupid, sometimes on purpose. I'm currently planning to put a new engine in the 67 caddy -- it will proably be a big turbo diesel. It may even be a Ford or Isuzu unit, whatever will fit and give the biggest power.

I say build/buy what you want but don't be offended if it bores people because they've seen it a million times before.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #186 (permalink)  
Old 09-13-2006, 05:23 AM
Registered User
 
Last photo:
Join Date: May 2002
Location: lebanon ind
Posts: 8
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
with respect to centerline, i disagree. i don't think i follow anyone, and i don't think i'm lazy. i happen to like the s.b.c. because it was the engine of my youth, i understand the thing, and it's like an old friend to me. in short it's a "comfort thing" i guess. if the thing breaks down on the side of the road i at least have a chance of getting a part and fixing it myself, or usually a mechanic in a strange town won't rape me too bad.

how about all the 32 fords running around that have storebought frames, glass bodies, all bolt on components, and of course gets passed off as a 32? it's a 32 like a new hyndai sitting on the showroom floor.

now a 49 merc tubbed and chopped with a high performance flattie----well--now that's different. few years back i was trying to get into the gate at indy raceway park during the street rods nats. there was a guy working the gate who asked me the year of my truck. when i told him it was a 50, he told me i couldn't come in. i asked him if it was o.k. to enter if i was going to work and pointed to the employee parking pass plastered to the windshield. " oh" he says. "that's different". in the meantime they were waving in fiberglass whatzits in left and right.
quite a few of the pictures of the iron on this website are great to look at, and i appreciate the work of many of the craftsmen who hang out here.

i did see one 32 that caught my eye recently. turbocharged 4 banger.

to each his own i guess, but i still like the smallblock. i am going with a 454 with my current project, but i guess when you think about it, they are also in the same boat.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #187 (permalink)  
Old 10-12-2006, 09:21 PM
redlightning's Avatar
Member
 
Last photo:
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: TN
Age: 49
Posts: 1,082
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 3
Thanked 9 Times in 3 Posts
http://www.southernmotorcompany.com/

Click on the specs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #188 (permalink)  
Old 10-12-2006, 09:24 PM
Registered User
 
Last wiki edit: Mopar tapered axle rear brake conversion
Last journal entry: What I'm doing now...
Last photo:
Join Date: Jan 2002
Posts: 4,267
Wiki Edits: 49

Thanks: 0
Thanked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by redlightning

I LIKE IT!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #189 (permalink)  
Old 10-12-2006, 10:19 PM
home brew's Avatar
Hotrodders.com Moderator
 
Last wiki edit: Body and exterior tips Last photo:
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Pense, Sk, Canada
Age: 68
Posts: 7,050
Wiki Edits: 1

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by redlightning
That will be quite the enterprise! They say that in test marketing they had 50% of the people interested or very interested in buying one. It's funny they never used a 56 F100 Ford body though. Guess everyone likes the cookie cutter Chevy body style better. Wonder if they told the people questioned that it had a Ford engine?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #190 (permalink)  
Old 02-28-2007, 12:40 AM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: HENDERSON NEVADA
Posts: 30
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hate Is A Strong Word

IT IS A VERY STRONG WORD WHEN IT COMES TO AN ENGINE THAT HAS BEEN THE CREAM OF THE CROP ON ALL KINDS OF TRACKS.
THE SBC HAS A VERY LONG HISTORY WITH JUST ABOUT EVERYONE THAT IS OVER THE AGE OF 30. THOSE OF US IN OUR 50'S REMEMBER EVERY YEAR WHEN THE NEW CARS CAME OUT. THOSE WERE SOME GREAT DAYS FOR THE AUTO INDUSTRY. EVERY NEIBOR WENT SHOPPING FOR THE NEW FORDS OR CHEVS. AND MOPARS. THE SMALL BLOCK THAT STANDS OUT IN MY MIND IS THE 1969 302 CHEV. I HAVE WON MANY A $5.00 BILL TO THOSE YOUNG-INS THAT THINK THE 302 WAS JUST A FORD MOTOR. THE SB HAS A SOFT SPOT IN MANY HEARTS. IT WAS PROBABLY THE FIRST ENGINE YOU HAD IN THE FIRST CAR YOU HAD IN WHICH YOU GOT YOUR FIRST NOOKIE IN.
TODAY GUYS MAKE THERE MINDS UP ON WHAT THEY ARE GOING TO USE IN THEIR RODS (I HOPE) FOR MORE THEN JUST BEING LAZY.
THERE ARE SO MANY OPTIONS OUT THERE TODAY WITH WIREING AND OTHER ITEMS THAT A GUY COULD THROW JUST ABOUT ANYTHING IN ANYTHING. SO I HAVE TO DISAGREE WITH THIS ESSAY. I HOPE THERE ARE MORE INDIVIDUALS OUT THERE THAT DON'T FOLLOW THE MASSES. THEY USE WHAT THEY USE FOR THE LOVE OF THE ENGINE.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #191 (permalink)  
Old 02-28-2007, 02:37 PM
oldguy829's Avatar
Member
 
Last wiki edit: Swapping to rack and pinion steering
Last journal entry: 53 coupe
Last photo:
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: San Antonio Tx
Age: 70
Posts: 565
Wiki Edits: 88

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
hate the small block Chevy?

I didn't read every post, just the initial rant, and I have another answer for you. I had flatheads, and buick straight eights and fords in the 50's, but i fell in love with the sbc. Owned a 57, 59 and my favorite a 63 327 when I was 20. I've been a Chevy man for over 40 years. I buy Chevy trucks and SUV's for the Chevy motor. I like em, and feel I know em. Why the hell would I put something else in my street rod? Because everyone else likes them too?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #192 (permalink)  
Old 02-28-2007, 02:58 PM
Registered User
 
Last wiki edit: Mopar tapered axle rear brake conversion
Last journal entry: What I'm doing now...
Last photo:
Join Date: Jan 2002
Posts: 4,267
Wiki Edits: 49

Thanks: 0
Thanked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by KACHINA321
......... I HOPE THERE ARE MORE INDIVIDUALS OUT THERE THAT DON'T FOLLOW THE MASSES. THEY USE WHAT THEY USE FOR THE LOVE OF THE ENGINE.
The problem is that a lot of people don't use the SBC for the love of the engine. They use it because everyone else is using it, or they're just too lazy to spend the little extra time it takes to install something different. Most people are followers anyway.... It's human nature. Oh yea, please don't post in all caps. It's the same thing as yelling.


Quote:
Originally Posted by oldguy829
I didn't read every post, just the initial rant, and I have another answer for you. I had flatheads, and buick straight eights and fords in the 50's, but i fell in love with the sbc. Owned a 57, 59 and my favorite a 63 327 when I was 20. I've been a Chevy man for over 40 years. I buy Chevy trucks and SUV's for the Chevy motor. I like em, and feel I know em. Why the hell would I put something else in my street rod? Because everyone else likes them too?
I like Chevy trucks too. I buy them and put hemis in them. As for you're love of the SBC that's fine. You say you read my essay but it's obvious that you didn't understand it. As I mentioned above the majority of people put the SBC in their streetrod because because it's easy. They're followers not leaders. That's not to say that a lot of people do it because they like the SBC, but a great number do it because they're just plain lazy.

Last edited by Centerline; 02-28-2007 at 03:05 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #193 (permalink)  
Old 02-28-2007, 05:15 PM
37year old kid's Avatar
Biggest tool in the box!
 

Last journal entry: Super Stock
Last photo:
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Glendora California
Age: 44
Posts: 9
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Oh Centerline, Can't we all just get along?? As a die hard Chevy man, I agree.
When it comes to fixing up a street 67 Camaro, my 70 Chevelle, or even a late 60 Chevy pick up, it only makes sense to keep it chevy powered, but when you read Street Rodder and all you see are SBC powered rods, it makes me sick. They get cookie cutter looking, with the only difference being the color they paint the block. What happened to individualizm?? Doing it your own way?? I'm much more impressed when someone took the time, thought, and effort to squeeze in a BBF, a Hemi, or even a nice clean straight 6cyl.
Besides, that leaves much more SBC cores for me!

One other thing just for you, Centerline. A little Viagra for you in the latest Hot Rod magazine....A 57 bel aire with a blown Hemi in it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #194 (permalink)  
Old 04-20-2007, 02:29 PM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: South Dakota
Posts: 11
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Its your choice

I think you can choice to drive whatever you want and have what ever you want in it.. thats what makes a street rod.. i personally don't like people that put a general motors engine in a ford or vice versa.... but what ever... the hole point is to do what you want.. who cares what everyone else thinks... its your ride ... make it like you want it..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #195 (permalink)  
Old 04-20-2007, 06:45 PM
PRO 48 fleetline's Avatar
Registered User
 

Last journal entry: Csr Electric Water pump
Last photo:
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: ohio
Posts: 319
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 0
Thanked 9 Times in 8 Posts
Great post but have to say no matter how you slice it it hard to beat any any way true reliable true inexpensive true still one of the best overall designed motors alive and as far as getting tired of seeing them get use to it now with the ls-2 and ls6-7's out there hang on it's only getting better and as for fors and dodges with chevys in them there, there for a reason great power combos from a 265 up to a 454 SB
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Recent Hotrodders' Lounge posts with photos

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
small block chevy engine id code help princesswz Engine 21 11-19-2012 06:10 PM
big block or small block chevy 69YENKONOVA Engine 81 05-13-2010 07:26 AM
Chevy small block fuel injection homesimpsonr Engine 7 05-19-2007 04:11 PM
Chevy Small Block Heads druss32 Engine 17 05-10-2006 08:35 PM
6"rods in 400 chevy small block 406chevelle Engine 17 06-20-2003 11:14 PM


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 09:21 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2
Copyright Hotrodders.com 1999 - 2012. All Rights Reserved.