Why I have grown to hate the Small Block Chevy..... an essay - Page 16 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > General Discussion> Hotrodders' Lounge
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-30-2007, 09:52 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

The SBC is kind of like the woman most guys enjoy to have at home. Sure, they may like to go out and party wildly with the Nailheads, or flirt with a Flathead, or even date a I-6.

But, at the end of the day, they know the SBC will be there, ready to help.

Some people like their women wild, others like their engines wild. And if you can have both, all the better.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-30-2007, 11:38 PM
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser

Last photo:

Thanked 1,145 Times in 1,013 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMM
The SBC is kind of like the woman most guys enjoy to have at home. Sure, they may like to go out and party wildly with the Nailheads, or flirt with a Flathead, or even date a I-6.

Some people like their women wild, others like their engines wild. And if you can have both, all the better.
LOLOL. boy did I get a chuckle out of that. And so did my wife, who is a good old Stovebolt 6, even more dependable than a SBC and these days a little exotic.

Brian
Old 10-31-2007, 12:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMM

Never quite heard it put that way before LOL but hey it gets the point across
Old 10-31-2007, 04:43 AM
Out of the Loop Moderator

Last wiki edit: Streetbeasts links
Last journal entry: at car show
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 5

Does that mean that Centerline is married to Brittany Spears..............maybe, Peg Bundy???.........................

Budget RVs
Old 10-31-2007, 06:51 PM
AKA:"SLOWRIDE66"take it easy!

Last wiki edit: How to post pictures on a forum
Last journal entry: 85 Suburban
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by poncho62
Does that mean that Centerline is married to Brittany Spears..............maybe, Peg Bundy???.........................

Well its not Pamela Anderson....

Not Enough Plastic in it

"Illegitimis non carborundum"
Don't let the bastards grind you down!

Crankshaft Coalition Master List of Hotrodding Forums
Old 11-01-2007, 12:34 AM

Last photo:

P.S. Betty Page is the original SBC...which is why there is one every single vehicle in my family
Old 11-01-2007, 01:50 PM

All I Know Is I Have A Pretty El Camino

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMM
P.S. Betty Page is the original SBC...which is why there is one every single vehicle in my family
Ijust dropped a 1971 350 into. my 305 lasted for 300 thousand miles without any internal work. i am not a racer but an everyday user of my car who play a bit. All I can say is I loved my 440 cuda my 383 magnum in a rt s/e challenger. I also loved my 327 in my 68 camaro with a factory 4 speed.
LOve is what you own now. I can kick myself for getting rid of most of my cars for the money they are getting now. I am 54 and just like to cruz in vegas. If i want to get my kicks on rt 66 I take my 91 FXR-P out and just ride the wind.
Old 08-16-2008, 10:52 AM
Paul Marion

Last journal entry: 1935 Plymouth Pj coupe
Last photo:

Why I have grown to hate the Small Block Chevy..... an essay

It's amazing to walk through rows of meticulously buffed & manicured customs, only to see the same parts. SBC's, Mustang 2 suspensions, ford 9" rears -n- rows of similar body styles.

I think the whole concept was to build something unique. There's just too many people thumbing through the popular mags, copying other people's ideas. Many inturn pay someone to do 75% of the work using bolt together goodies (like the ones pictured in the magazines).

I personally take my own approach. I throw away the book -n- lose the concept of old school vs latest tech. I totally Ignore the latest trends -n-fads. I simply build what appeals to me.
For example:
I wanted to build a hot rod. I started with the powerplant. To me that's why they came about in the 1st place. You basically put a big motor in a smaller 30's lightweight coupe. I'm just amazed people are willing to fork over 50 k on a project & use a "generic" run of the "mill" motor. I think SBC's are great however, I own roughly 5 vehicles. When guests come by my place, they walk right by the Dart pro 1 Aluminum headed,(beautifully restored 350 Chevy in a really cool) 68 Chevy shortwide pickup & ask about the 67 GTO w/a 70 ram air 455. Now, that's a streetable motor. You don't need high pressure springs & solid lifter "full race" cams to run fast 1/4 mile times either. They make hp! easily. That venture only lasts till I open the door of my building containing two rather unique Early Chrysler Hemi powered cars. That big 455 is "cool" however, those huge heads & big valve covers w/the plug tubes on top really stand out. Esp/w unique intakes. You can use a 354 it's just as good (maybe better) for the street or the infamous 392. The 331's are great sources for parts (great recips if you run across a 354 block) 331's are limited to that early 50's cube syndrome. They all look the same. I choose the 354's n 392's for resale. I build for "value" not depreciation. There's a few tricks one has to know in oder to assemble them. Nothing too difficult however, you have to be a fairly skilled fabricator to install one. This is where I feel the generic rods are coming from. It's too easy to buy already pre assembled bolt on goodies then to fabricate your own. The 350 bolts right up to everyone elses front end stub,mustang 2 suspension , 9 bolt- bolt together pre - engineered systems. They come chrome plated & ready to install.

What I did was dropped the magazines & started with a powerplant (392 Hemi) great for resale. That's what you lose with a mildly built SBC.....resale. Of course I started out looking for a Model A & woke up! wait! I'm already joining the heard of sheep. I found something different. I just couldn't go traditional on the suspension either & I dig
the look of the old fashioned tranverse leaf straight axles. They just dont feel hotrodded when you drive them. Rather prehistoric. Everybody has a mustang 2 kit available. No that's too easy. To
me a hotrod also has a hot suspension. So I went with my version of a transverse leaf. A C-4 Corvette carbon composite fiber transverse leaf. 11" discs, forged aluminum A arms n spindles. I bought the whole suspension then grafted it into frame. A nine inch!!! ye right. I could buy one ready to bolt together with it's own 4 link for big $$$ however,opted for the Ebay route n scored a 12 cyl. Jag (dana posi) independent rear with inboard disc brakes. Of course I swapped the gear to a 3:73 immediately.
Hey, it would have been easy to put a 350 or 400 turbo automatic butttt...no that would be too easy. I opted for a Big block Top loader. They are the toughest to work with in rods, since the majority of the tailshaft configs are aft. I just made my own mounts, brackets, linkages, etc. etc. Wallah ! a one of a kind Rod! based on numerous hours of work. I forked very lil' $ over in man hours farmed.......... 'cept machinist n alignment. Build your own motor,trans,carbs,do your own fab,paint n body,interior & expect to reap an average mark up upon Resale of 300-400%.
If you can part with it.
Nope I'm not spending all that time & money to build something everybody else is building.
You won't fetch the resale on those rods using cheaper mass produced motors. The sheep will follow the heard.

Last edited by Paul M; 08-16-2008 at 05:21 PM.
Old 08-16-2008, 04:19 PM

Last wiki edit: Mopar tapered axle rear brake conversion
Last journal entry: What I'm doing now...
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 49

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Keller
Well its not Pamela Anderson....

Not Enough Plastic in it

Truth be told I AM married to one of Dolly Parton's cousins. My wife's maiden name is Parton. Kinda goes along with this line of thinking. Hemis have big valve covers and Dolly has big.... well, you know.
Old 08-19-2008, 04:35 PM

Last photo:

Looks like Pamela to me!

I have seen Mrs. Centerline! She looks like Pamela to me!

She's actually a very friendly and personable person. I don't know anyone that doesn't love her.

Centerline picked a winner, but she doesn't have a Hemi head! She is like a small block Chevy to me...nothing fancy, simple yet complex, reliable, smooth, plenty enough power, yet no racer. The kind of girl you'd take home to mom.

Now, maybe I'd compare her to my 348? Unique, yet mysterious, different enough to attract attention, and yet everyone likes it?

I seen a 409 in a Duece that looked awesome. That above all made Centerline's point to me!

Check this and the next 2 pics out!

http://s224.photobucket.com/albums/d...9closeup-1.jpg

Steve
Old 08-19-2008, 06:58 PM

Last wiki edit: Mopar tapered axle rear brake conversion
Last journal entry: What I'm doing now...
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 49

Quote:
Originally Posted by 58Apache
..........I seen a 409 in a Deuce that looked awesome. That above all made Centerline's point to me!............ Steve
ANYTHING other than a SBC in any street rod is GOOD!!!!!
Old 08-20-2008, 12:10 AM
Paul Marion

Last journal entry: 1935 Plymouth Pj coupe
Last photo:

Why I have grown to hate the Small Block Chevy..... an essay

Ok, I can't let you have all the fun. Don't be surprised if I choose a hemi for my next project. Not again!!!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	12 cyl Hemi.jpg
Views:	86
Size:	27.9 KB
ID:	31969   Click image for larger version

Name:	V-16 Hemi aircraft.jpg
Views:	86
Size:	57.5 KB
ID:	31970  
Old 08-20-2008, 09:03 PM

Last photo:

I'm probably in a tiny minority here; when I go to car shows, I like to see cars with their hoods closed, not open. Open hoods just ruin the lines of a car. I want to see the way the car sits, it's lines, it's architecture, not the engine. I really don't care what engine is in it, when it comes down to it, all V8's look basically the same to me.

For the record, I've owned Pontiac V8's, Ford 302's, a Ford 351, a Mopar 340, and my latest is the dreaded SBC in my Chevy truck-rod. I love them all, but really, a small block V8 is a small block V8 to me.

When I show my truck, the hood will stay closed. My engine bay is nice, but the vehicle will look way better with the hood closed to show the body lines and architecture, which is what turns me on.
Old 08-21-2008, 06:37 AM
EFI Rules and Carbs Drool

Last wiki edit: The FREE T Bucket plans
Last journal entry: Sold Everything for a new project
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by AntnyL
I'm probably in a tiny minority here; when I go to car shows, I like to see cars with their hoods closed, not open. Open hoods just ruin the lines of a car. I want to see the way the car sits, it's lines, it's architecture, not the engine. I really don't care what engine is in it, when it comes down to it, all V8's look basically the same to me.

For the record, I've owned Pontiac V8's, Ford 302's, a Ford 351, a Mopar 340, and my latest is the dreaded SBC in my Chevy truck-rod. I love them all, but really, a small block V8 is a small block V8 to me.

When I show my truck, the hood will stay closed. My engine bay is nice, but the vehicle will look way better with the hood closed to show the body lines and architecture, which is what turns me on.
I'm with you. I prefer to show my mustang with the hood down. It's a run of the mill SBF. My T bucket motor on the other hand (in my avatar) does get a lot of attention, but there's no hood anyway.

It seems to me also that when it's a judged car show, people are supposed to leave thier hoods open. But at a lot of the larger "unjudged" shows or cruise ins, a lot of people leave thier hoods down. Unless you have a really exotic motor, I'd leave it down too.
Old 08-21-2008, 09:24 AM

Last journal entry: steerin' n' stuff
Last photo:

the mighty(and rare) sbc

I love Sbc always have always will. Mr. Centerline I read you're "essay". Maybe I'm overly defensive about my favorite eng. family, but not all of us sbc guys are lazy or unimaginative. I belive in build what makes you happy, thats what it is all about. Build you're Hemis but dont look down you're nose at me for building my sbc. When I started to build my car the eng. I pictured was always a sbc. I'm not lazy I built the frame,suspension, ect. Sometimes I think the"bash the Sbc"is the new"slogan"to appear cool or different. How many "oh that's a belly button motor" guys secretly have one,r has had one,or several. Sorry I don't like nailheads and never built a Hemi but that doesn't make me lazy or a follower Thanks,All bow to the great and mighty Hemi!

Recent Hotrodders' Lounge posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.