Why I have grown to hate the Small Block Chevy..... an essay - Page 17 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > General Discussion> Hotrodders' Lounge
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-21-2008, 09:23 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

Thank you Centerline

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-22-2008, 06:59 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by topfuel55
I love Sbc always have always will. Mr. Centerline I read you're "essay". Maybe I'm overly defensive about my favorite eng. family, but not all of us sbc guys are lazy or unimaginative. I belive in build what makes you happy, thats what it is all about. Build you're Hemis but dont look down you're nose at me for building my sbc. When I started to build my car the eng. I pictured was always a sbc. I'm not lazy I built the frame,suspension, ect. Sometimes I think the"bash the Sbc"is the new"slogan"to appear cool or different. How many "oh that's a belly button motor" guys secretly have one,r has had one,or several. Sorry I don't like nailheads and never built a Hemi but that doesn't make me lazy or a follower Thanks,All bow to the great and mighty Hemi!
You said it best: "build what makes you happy". Why criticize a fellow rodder for his engine choice? Next thing you know, people will be criticizing a rodder's lack of imagination because they decided to build a '32 Ford. Live and let live!
Old 08-22-2008, 07:06 AM
Out of the Loop Moderator

Last wiki edit: Streetbeasts links
Last journal entry: at car show
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by AntnyL
You said it best: "build what makes you happy". Why criticize a fellow rodder for his engine choice? Next thing you know, people will be criticizing a rodder's lack of imagination because they decided to build a '32 Ford. Live and let live!
Well said......I have SBCs because that is what I like.......not because they are the most popular and best v8 on the planet........ ......I grew up with them and they are what I use. If someone wants to use a different engine, more power to them.

Budget RVs
Old 08-22-2008, 08:52 AM

Last wiki edit: Mopar tapered axle rear brake conversion
Last journal entry: What I'm doing now...
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 49

Quote:
Originally Posted by poncho62
Well said......I have SBCs because that is what I like.......not because they are the most popular and best v8 on the planet........ ......I grew up with them and they are what I use. If someone wants to use a different engine, more power to them.
Maybe I should have said that it's the aftermarket that is the problem. If they hadn't come out with all the stuff that makes it dead simple to install the SBC in anything then people might have taken a second look at their engine choice IN STREET RODS. If you're going to build a street rod then why build one just like everyone else's. If you're going to build a 32 Ford, that is very common then at least put a Nailhead, flathead, hemi or stovebolt in it instead of the WAY TO COMMON SBC.
Old 08-22-2008, 08:57 AM

Last photo:

Ok Ok I get it ....I am going dig out the ole 500 inch caddy for the 34 and shelving the '55 265.
Old 08-22-2008, 12:04 PM

Last journal entry: 1947 dodge
Last photo:

What bothers me most about Chevy's is the attitude some people have that nothing else could ever compare. I don't hate the Chevy but I hate it when you see a nice Trans Am or GTO with a Chevy small block in it. I know that a lot of people that run only Chevy know way more about cars than I ever will but I have run into way to many people that have hacked up cars trying to fix them and said "I could've fixed it if it was a Chevy". I just want to scream at these people if you can't fix a Ford or a Chrysler you can't fix a Chevy either. I think a few bad experiances with stupid people have turned me away though. The same is true of other cars too. I always wanted to build a sleeper Honda until I started seeing them all over with a big muffler and a wing. I will build almost anything if I think it is cool.I have 3 Chevy motors in my garage but I also have a couple Ford 5.0's, a couple Pontiacs, a Chrysler 2.2 turbo and a few other odd motors. There are others I would love to have if I could find or afford them. I just don't like the attitude that I've seen way to much that if it is not a Chevy it is junk.
Old 08-22-2008, 12:31 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by lets cut it up
Ok Ok I get it ....I am going dig out the ole 500 inch caddy for the 34 and shelving the '55 265.
I like it!!!
Old 08-22-2008, 04:22 PM

I still agree with Centerline and I agree with 47dodge. Back in 1987 my buddy bought a 75 Nova , I6, auto, it was puke green inside and out. He and I being Mopar friendly We put his 440 Magnum & Torqueflite in the Nova so we could drive it to the coffee shop. We hung out with the Bellybutton boys, They told my buddy that it was about time he got smart. One of the BBB's saw the tag on the front fender and said that GM didn't build a 440 engine, My buddy said no they didn't but Chrysler did. They ( BBB) said YOU DIDN'T.
My buddy smiled and said yes. For some reason they didn't talk to us much after that. My buddy's car he did what he wanted.
Old 08-22-2008, 11:22 PM
Semper Gumby

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 2

Sbc

Well, when I started my '28 coupe, I had two firm resolutions: 1) NO BILLET ANYTHING, and
2) IT WILL NOT BE RED.

After that, well... So it currently has a '69 LT-1, backed by a T-350, a MII front end and a 9 inch Frod (Dorf?) rear. However, I sorta kinda wounded the LT-1 (hint: If you have a shifter that works like a Gennie or a Lokar, - no "gates" for indivdual gears - then when you go to the strip, just put it in "D" - you will likely avoid the "oil-down" that got me a stern lecture!)

My wife's ride is a Lexus LS-series with the 4 litre, 4 cam, engine that gets a gazillion hp out of only 240 inches, and excellent fuel economy, too. Hmmmmmm

A tape measure reveals that,in spite of the 4 overhead cams and big huge hemi-style valve covers, it is exact same physical size as the SBC. (and a lot lighter!)

There are Aussie rodders who's rides are on the web, using this engine with 8 individual throttle bodies and velocity stacks, looking a lot like an old hilborn system, and they are getting INSANE amounts of power out of this engine (known as the 1- UZFE)

The engine comes from the factory with forged crank, forged rods, a 6 bolt main bottom end, etc.....

Ya gotta love the script on the valve covers that tells you it has four cams and 32 valves

Hmmmmmm

Unusual enuff for ya Centerline?
Old 08-23-2008, 06:06 AM
Out of the Loop Moderator

Last wiki edit: Streetbeasts links
Last journal entry: at car show
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave57210
You are causing a real problem Dave....The SBC haters also demand that it be American......Heaven forbid that we be "Non tradiitional"......starting to sound like a HAMB thread........................

Budget RVs
Old 08-23-2008, 06:30 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave57210
Well, when I started my '28 coupe, I had two firm resolutions: 1) NO BILLET ANYTHING, and
2) IT WILL NOT BE RED.

After that, well... So it currently has a '69 LT-1, backed by a T-350, a MII front end and a 9 inch Frod (Dorf?) rear. However, I sorta kinda wounded the LT-1 (hint: If you have a shifter that works like a Gennie or a Lokar, - no "gates" for indivdual gears - then when you go to the strip, just put it in "D" - you will likely avoid the "oil-down" that got me a stern lecture!)

My wife's ride is a Lexus LS-series with the 4 litre, 4 cam, engine that gets a gazillion hp out of only 240 inches, and excellent fuel economy, too. Hmmmmmm

A tape measure reveals that,in spite of the 4 overhead cams and big huge hemi-style valve covers, it is exact same physical size as the SBC. (and a lot lighter!)

There are Aussie rodders who's rides are on the web, using this engine with 8 individual throttle bodies and velocity stacks, looking a lot like an old hilborn system, and they are getting INSANE amounts of power out of this engine (known as the 1- UZFE)

The engine comes from the factory with forged crank, forged rods, a 6 bolt main bottom end, etc.....

Ya gotta love the script on the valve covers that tells you it has four cams and 32 valves

Hmmmmmm

Dave,

Putting a Lexus engine into a pre-war rod is certainly different and cool, yet already done believe it or not! I was watching an episode of Car Crazy one Saturday nite (yes, I have no life!) and low and behold; a gorgeous 34 roadster with a Lexus 32 valver was featured. It looked great and sounded awesome too. The owner was a Lexus design engineer as I recall and a rodder, so he married both allegiances.

Antny
Old 08-23-2008, 08:35 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by AntnyL
Dave,

Putting a Lexus engine into a pre-war rod is certainly different and cool..........
Antny
I agree. Although a Lexus power plant wouldn't be my cup of tea it still is different, shows out of the box thinking and ingenuity. I'll say it again, anything other than a SBC is GOOD!
Old 08-23-2008, 09:51 AM

Last photo:

I read the Post itself, and didn't have time to go through the entire 17 pages of replies...so here is my 2 cents. I built my 34 three window Ford, and since it's a Ford, used FoMoCo drive train. What ELSE would you put in a Ford?! 502 big block, C-6, shortened 9". No special problems finding parts. No more expensive than SBC parts...well, not MUCH more. People at Cruises and car shows can't believe I did it. GREAT comments on it...WOW!, lot's nicer than a SBC! The engine has VERY nice Tony Branda finned aluminum rocker covers, and before I put plastic Ford Blue Oval appliques on them everybody asked me if it was a Big Block Chevy...

Last edited by 345 desoto; 08-23-2008 at 10:38 AM.
Old 08-27-2008, 10:39 AM
Paul Marion

Last journal entry: 1935 Plymouth Pj coupe
Last photo:

re: Why I have grown to hate the Small Block Chevy..... an essay

Yep, I'm surprised there aren't more Ford motors in those old Fords. Come on !SBC guys. A great argument could have been ease of installation, abundance of parts,or (one that I would have brought up)less weight in comparison to larger motors allowing less centrifugal force in the corners. Of course we 700+pounders take some roll out of the suspension. That lil' Ford 302 is also an amazing product (bang for the buck) I'm surprised there aren't too many in those 30's rods. I was so impressed with the boss 302 heads, I've since bought & sold 3 prs for $. They offer the best flow charactoristics pr/cube. The catch 22 on them is that they are very thin walled & are subjected to cracks.
On that aspect, those early hemis were packed full of high nickel content & offered ample material. If they haven't been raced, they are hard to kill.
Hence.....the reason the 354 was used as marine & industrial use. For my next project I'll probably go with Allison she's ready & willin' .. that'll learn em ..... he he he
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	800px-Allison_V-1710_Engine_1.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	118.9 KB
ID:	32132   Click image for larger version

Name:	v1710-4.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	28.4 KB
ID:	32133  
Old 08-27-2008, 11:44 AM
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser

Last photo:

Thanked 1,138 Times in 1,008 Posts
Sorry I am having a hard time editing this photo to rotate it. But here's a good use for a SBC. It's a display rack in Disney's California Adventure. Very cool store, it was an old gas station with a belly tank speedster on the lift above you. Come on now guys, it's a joke!

Brian

Recent Hotrodders' Lounge posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.