Why I have grown to hate the Small Block Chevy..... an essay - Page 19 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum



Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > General Discussion> Hotrodders' Lounge
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
  #271 (permalink)  
Old 01-23-2009, 03:39 AM
Registered User
 
Last photo:
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: ILL
Posts: 309
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Some Folks will just Never Get it ! And that will be their Loss in more way then one

    Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
  #272 (permalink)  
Old 07-18-2010, 05:49 AM
topwrench's Avatar
Registered User
 

Last journal entry: fish carb
Last photo:
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: lillian al.
Age: 67
Posts: 290
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 1
Thanked 2 Times in 1 Post
BEST DAMM GARAGE IN TOWN ]When smokey went to Indy. these were the days of run what you brung , he scared the s@@t out of the sanctionig body,small block turbocharged chevy with twin holley carbs carbs built by Ralph Johnson at smokeys shop.
Smokey and Ralph took 2 motors up there,first motor put out over 800 h.p. on a heenan froude dyno, second motor put out bout 750, second motor was race motor, now all this out of 209 c.i.d. Im not downplaying other eng. manufacturers but a lot of them copied the quench chamber chevy used.
This engine will live as a classic production run started 1955 ended with s.b.2 thats a lot of years.[/QUOTE]
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #273 (permalink)  
Old 07-18-2010, 08:43 AM
MARTINSR's Avatar
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser
 
Last photo:
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: San francisco bay area
Age: 55
Posts: 13,006
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 712
Thanked 1,078 Times in 961 Posts
Yep, Smokey was something else. I called him once about a Buick motor he had for sale in Hemmings motor news and talked to him for about an hour! NO KIDDING! He was a very interesting guy. And you know the funny thing, he could have done what he did with just about ANY motor, he was THAT GOOD. And the biggest reason he did so with the Chevy.........they paid him to!


Brian
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #274 (permalink)  
Old 01-29-2012, 06:31 PM
topwrench's Avatar
Registered User
 

Last journal entry: fish carb
Last photo:
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: lillian al.
Age: 67
Posts: 290
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 1
Thanked 2 Times in 1 Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by MARTINSR
Yep, Smokey was something else. I called him once about a Buick motor he had for sale in Hemmings motor news and talked to him for about an hour! NO KIDDING! He was a very interesting guy. And you know the funny thing, he could have done what he did with just about ANY motor, he was THAT GOOD. And the biggest reason he did so with the Chevy.........they paid him to!


Brian
I know this is an old post ..........
Chevy never paid Smokey for building Indy cars or Indy engines....I know....I worked there.
Smokey would tell anybody to stick it in a heartbeat!
He used what he thought was best!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #275 (permalink)  
Old 01-29-2012, 10:11 PM
Registered User
 

Last journal entry: update
Last photo:
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: over here
Posts: 216
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The 350: The only small block to offer great modern heads cheap: The Mopar Magnum heads all crack, and don't flow as well as Vortecs either stock vs stock or ported vs ported. Same flow problem for the Ford GT40 heads, plus they're very very rare. Scoring the desirable 906 or 062 Vortecs for $40 per pair on Pick-N-Pull's half price day is a no-brainer. And with them, grab any '87-up 3650 for the mimimal bore wear thanks to EFI, and the cast-in provisions for roller lifters, plus the 1-piece rear main seal and the pickup truck oil pan fits nearly everything. You can usually just do a hone job yourself, reuse the rings and bearings, and assemble it with new gaskets. FelPro offering their rubber-coated steel-shim head gaskets so cheap makes it so easy to get the quench right.
Now, top it with a QuadraJet and a '75-'79 HEI, gear it for 1650 RPM at 60 MPH, and hello 28 MPG in a slippery car like my '84 Trans Am. Or toss the stock cam, order this cam: ( http://www.lunatipower.com/Product.aspx?id=2007&gid=281 ) and have 400 HP with no machine work. There goes your 28 MPG, however. Better to get your power with a Chinese turbo, so you can have over 400 HP with 28 MPG. No need for forged pistons, either. Just keep it from ever having any detonation, and the stock parts will survive 500 HP. Can't have this with any other engine, let alone this cheap or this easy, let alone both this cheap and this easy.
So what if it's a me-too engine. Novelty means nothing next to what I just typed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #276 (permalink)  
Old 01-29-2012, 10:23 PM
MARTINSR's Avatar
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser
 
Last photo:
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: San francisco bay area
Age: 55
Posts: 13,006
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 712
Thanked 1,078 Times in 961 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by whyholdback
The 350: The only small block to offer great modern heads cheap: The Mopar Magnum heads all crack, and don't flow as well as Vortecs either stock vs stock or ported vs ported. Same flow problem for the Ford GT40 heads, plus they're very very rare. Scoring the desirable 906 or 062 Vortecs for $40 per pair on Pick-N-Pull's half price day is a no-brainer. And with them, grab any '87-up 3650 for the mimimal bore wear thanks to EFI, and the cast-in provisions for roller lifters, plus the 1-piece rear main seal and the pickup truck oil pan fits nearly everything. You can usually just do a hone job yourself, reuse the rings and bearings, and assemble it with new gaskets. FelPro offering their rubber-coated steel-shim head gaskets so cheap makes it so easy to get the quench right.
Now, top it with a QuadraJet and a '75-'79 HEI, gear it for 1650 RPM at 60 MPH, and hello 28 MPG in a slippery car like my '84 Trans Am. Or toss the stock cam, order this cam: ( http://www.lunatipower.com/Product.aspx?id=2007&gid=281 ) and have 400 HP with no machine work. There goes your 28 MPG, however. Better to get your power with a Chinese turbo, so you can have over 400 HP with 28 MPG. No need for forged pistons, either. Just keep it from ever having any detonation, and the stock parts will survive 500 HP. Can't have this with any other engine, let alone this cheap or this easy, let alone both this cheap and this easy.
So what if it's a me-too engine. Novelty means nothing next to what I just typed.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y6ecS...eature=related
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #277 (permalink)  
Old 01-29-2012, 11:33 PM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Grand Rapids, MI
Age: 27
Posts: 23
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by whyholdback
The 350: The only small block to offer great modern heads cheap: The Mopar Magnum heads all crack, and don't flow as well as Vortecs either stock vs stock or ported vs ported. Same flow problem for the Ford GT40 heads, plus they're very very rare. Scoring the desirable 906 or 062 Vortecs for $40 per pair on Pick-N-Pull's half price day is a no-brainer.
You’re forgetting AMC heads. Any 360 or 401 head from 1970-1991 will donkey stomp a vortec head. They’re cheap and readily available.

Quote:
Originally Posted by whyholdback
And with them, grab any '87-up 3650 for the mimimal bore wear thanks to EFI, and the cast-in provisions for roller lifters, plus the 1-piece rear main seal and the pickup truck oil pan fits nearly everything.
If you’ve got a ton of bore wear on any block, something was wrong. Roller lifters are great for chevy guys because of the small lifter bore. Other engines can run aggressive cam profiles without the expense of roller lifters.

Quote:
Originally Posted by whyholdback
You can usually just do a hone job yourself, reuse the rings and bearings, and assemble it with new gaskets. FelPro offering their rubber-coated steel-shim head gaskets so cheap makes it so easy to get the quench right.
You can redneck rig any brand of engine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by whyholdback
Now, top it with a QuadraJet and a '75-'79 HEI, gear it for 1650 RPM at 60 MPH, and hello 28 MPG in a slippery car like my '84 Trans Am.
Might want to check your calculator...

Quote:
Originally Posted by whyholdback
Or toss the stock cam, order this cam: ( http://www.lunatipower.com/Product.aspx?id=2007&gid=281 ) and have 400 HP with no machine work. There goes your 28 MPG, however.
400 hp? Not a chance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by whyholdback
Better to get your power with a Chinese turbo, so you can have over 400 HP with 28 MPG.
You can put a Chinese turbo on any engine, I don’t see your point here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by whyholdback
No need for forged pistons, either. Just keep it from ever having any detonation, and the stock parts will survive 500 HP.
500 is really pushing it on a stock sbc. Do not plan on it lasting very long.

Quote:
Originally Posted by whyholdback
Can't have this with any other engine, let alone this cheap or this easy, let alone both this cheap and this easy.
What you have described isn’t possible with a chevy either so does it even matter?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #278 (permalink)  
Old 01-30-2012, 04:49 AM
stich626's Avatar
gearheadslife
 

Last journal entry: The TwoTonShu #10
Last photo:
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 372
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 0
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Centerline
When reading this essay please don't get the idea that I'm bashing one of hot rodding's legendary power plants. I'm not. The small block Chevy is one of the most popular V8 engines ever built. It is reliable and has almost unlimited potential. Then why, you ask, do I hate this engine? The answer is very simple; there are just too damn many of them.

To be clear, the focus of this essay is on Street Rodding. That category which is generally considered to comprise pre 1949 vehicles. These cars and trucks are generally where engine swaps are most common and the builder has almost total control over the choices he makes. When talking about muscle cars or street machines the assertions of this essay won't always apply and that should be kept in mind when reading this paper. I am not condoning swapping out a 350 in a Nova for a Buick Nailhead. Although different, that swap wouldn't make much sense. However when it comes to Street Rods, the SBC has become not much more than a mundane "also ran."

I don't blame Chevrolet for this at all. I blame the people who are building street rods and the way they perpetuate the use of this engine as the solution to all problems and quite simply the "only" way to go. The popular claim that, "It's reliable and cheap to build," just doesn't hold water. Yes it is reliable, however it is NOT the only small V8 out there, and it is no more reliable (and only marginally less expensive to build) than any number of other domestic V8s. A good choice yes, the only choice?.. not by a long shot.

Let me ask you a question? When you go to a car show don't you get tired of seeing the same power plant in almost every street rod you walk by? I sure do. To me there is nothing more boring than another "cookie cutter" street rod powered by a small block Chevy. I have to ask what is wrong with the builders of these cars. Are they so unimaginative that they just have to use what everyone else does? Where is their originality, creativity, and individuality? These people certainly don't seem to lack these qualities when contemplating the paint scheme or the interior accoutrements so when choosing the engine for their street rod why do they "settle" for what can only be described as just another small block Chevy?

When it comes to choosing a reliable engine Ford and Chrysler along with many others have been building and selling reliable V8s for longer than I care to remember. Ford's venerable 289-302 family or Chrysler's 318-360 small blocks are just as reliable and have just as much potential as any SBC every built. So why do people flock to the SBC like moths to a flame? The answer to this question is not what most people want to here. It's because people by nature are just plain lazy.

Now that I've raised the blood pressure of every SBC owner out there let me explain what I mean. When building a street rod (and we're talking about pre-1950 vehicles here) most people for some unknown reason perceive that it is vastly easier to drop in a SBC than going through a little extra work figuring out how to get that Ford small block to clear the front cross member or spending a little time fabricating engine mounts for a Buick Nailhead. These types of problems are not insurmountable and with a little thought they can easily be overcome, but because most people are by nature lazy they take the easy way out and choose the SBC. By choosing the SBC for some reason the perception is that it's easier to do and there are fewer problems to solve. Yes, it probably does save some time and effort but it is not the only solution to the problem. The argument that the SBC is easier to install in most rods just doesn't stand the test when you think about some other V8s. The Chrysler 318 family for example also has a rear sump pan just like the SBC and this engine can be installed in any rod just as easily. This also holds true for several other domestic V8s. True a little thought and possibly a little extra work will have to go into engine mounts but the price of being an individual and a leader is almost always worth the extra effort.

OK so we have now established one reason the SBC is so popular. People by nature are lazy. Now let's look at another reason. People are, for the most part anyway, cheap. Being cheap however is a relative term. For the teenager that is building a 15 year old Camaro on a very tight budget (based on how much he earns flipping burgers after school) this means that every penny has to count and choosing the SBC is almost a necessity. However to the guy who's spending $10 to $20 grand or more on his prize street rod the slight difference in the cost of building a SBC compared to anything else is negligible. The fact that a set of pistons for the SBC costs $40 less than the same set for a Ford or Chrysler small block means nothing to this person. Then why do they "go with the flow" and choose the SBC? Because people also tend to be sheep. That's right; for the most part we are just a bunch of followers.

Anymore it seems to take a special person to break the mold and choose something different. Why else are there so few street rods with real engines like Nailheads, Flatheads, Hemis, BB Chryslers, BB Fords, Olds, Pontiac, AMC and yes even 348-409 Chevys? Because people are way to willing to follow the leader and just do what everyone else is doing. To me this is, to coin a term from the '60s, nothing more than a cop out! If all you want to be is a follower all your life then more power to you, but to the few people left who have the unique ability to think "out of the box" then the SBC is about as boring as they come.

Finally, I'm not blaming anyone for choosing to build a SBC. It is reliable, cheap to build and can deliver lots of horsepower. I've built my share of 302s, 350s and 327s too but one day I opened my eyes and realized that I no longer wanted to be a follower. I no longer wanted to blend into the woodwork and I was willing to take the time, use the brain power and expend the extra effort that it takes to be an individual. I know we are all by nature lazy and building cheap is almost always a necessity, but being a follower is really more of a choice than anything else. Do the hobby a favor and the next time you're considering building a street rod don't be afraid of being creative, or imaginative. For once be an individual and think "out of the box". Choose something other than what has become over the years a "cookie cutter" engine. Of course on the other hand if the entire reason you're building a street rod is to blend in than by all means go with the SBC. After all it is by far the best way to disappear into the crowd.
A few things, and before I get labled, i'm a pontiac guy.. that said.. lets move on..

the o/p comments themselfes don't hold water.. lets start with the engine choices.. first.. there are tons.. so, you can go as wild as one likes.. g.m./ford/mopar/amc/etc
now here is the thing..even when building a 20-30k car.. engine COST is a factor, and all the little things that go with that engine choice. if you have a shop full of fab tools. the cost drops, if you're buddies with a machine shop. the engine rebuilding cost gets lower.. than the reg.Joe!!!!!!!!!!
fact of the matter is machine shops are not a cheap place.. if and when you find a good one.. they can be booked 6-12 months, nevermind a lot of them don't have the correct tools to machine the odder engines.. like torque plates/etc
next issue is allot of these engines have been out of servive for decades.. finding parts for a 476 caddy,nailhead/ford 352/etc gets harder and harder, now the hunt is just as fun as the build.. untill you find out the dual quad intake for that nailhead is over a grand, valvecovers a few hundred. cause lets face it. not many leave the factory cast iron one on the engine stuffed in their rod.......
so now we'll move to the ones that are still used in late model cars, new enough that most machine shops have the correct tools to do the rebuild blindfolded.. you have the chevy/the ford 260-351/ mopar 318/340(360 different) going a little odder you have the buick /old/pontiac all that haven't seen use in the oem's since 1980..
speed parts for the oddballs are out there but double the chevy/ford/mopar
so now because of most guys building these don't have a shop full of tools.
they may look at a ford 289-351 or a mopar 318-340 over a chevy..
the call or stop by the local machine shop that the guys they've talked to at local car shows say do good work.. they get to talking and the machine shop gives them a baseline ballpark cost to rebuild that engine they are thinging of.. with the note that if it needs this or that the cost goes up.. EVEN a basic rebuild on a 350 chevy is 2400.00 here..
so now the guy/gal goes home and mulls over this.. and goes online.. "lets look at crate engines" factory and aftermarket..
aftermarket cost are all over the place.. so ,buyers of those know what they are looking for.. and powerlevel they want.. and with cost most time in range of what the local shop could build, I'll leave it at that..
so the guy/gal moves to the g.m. preformance parts google links, the ford, mopar..
the mopar crate start at 4000.oo and go from there, the fords are not anybetter, get to g.m.and look a roller block, vortec headed all new parts 350 with 9.4 to 1 ,that with the right intake and headers is 330-350 hp.. and it's 1980.oo almost half of what the others want.. now I go and add up all the other goodies, belt drive system, intake,valve covers,/etc wow the choices for that chevy are endless, the mopar and ford, not nearly as much. and what is made cost more, ford then mopar..
It really sounds great to want to build a rod. with a dare to be different powerplant.. but .. todo so.. you'll spend tns of money in adapters if you want a modern transmission and overdrive..(people drive them more than they did 10 years ago) and if they do breakdown, they are not down for weeks or months looking/waiting on parts..
the other thing is finding a running engine in the oddball families is harder today. not to many buicks with nailheads running going for 500bucks anymore.. or pontiac 400-455 ford 352 or caddy 426/472/500 today just a running engine will cost you . and the car it's in won't be 500.oo (at least not here)
so the smallblock chevy, or the just as boring small block ford. gets the call..

ME, if I ever get a chance to build a t bucket or 32-34 ford/etc it'll be powered by a 326 pontiac with a 2004r behind it.. but unlike alot of builders of rods , I know going in that ,that engine choice will cost more than other engines.. and to the unknowing.. is it a 326 or is it s 389 or 400 or 455.. that in itself makes it.. worth it.. nevermind that when I had my 66 lemans no one made parts for pontiac engines.. today .. tho costlier than chevy or ford.. they make heads/intakes/rods(pontiac are cast..)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #279 (permalink)  
Old 01-30-2012, 06:21 AM
Registered User
 

Last journal entry: update
Last photo:
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: over here
Posts: 216
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghinmi
You’re forgetting AMC heads. Any 360 or 401 head from 1970-1991 will donkey stomp a vortec head. They’re cheap and readily available.
Available? BS. Not only that, but it's not just flow, it's also combustion efficiency. That alone is 15-20 HP on a stock 350.



Quote:
Originally Posted by ghinmi
If you’ve got a ton of bore wear on any block, something was wrong. Roller lifters are great for chevy guys because of the small lifter bore. Other engines can run aggressive cam profiles without the expense of roller lifters.
It isn't just about aggressive lobes, it's about the ZDDP additive BS and whether or not you have to do a break-in. And the lifters reducing friction is more HP, too.



Quote:
Originally Posted by ghinmi
You can redneck rig any brand of engine.
What the heck are you talking about?


Quote:
Originally Posted by ghinmi
Might want to check your calculator...
I have the receipt from having my speedometer calibrated, and I have the gas receipts with the odometer readings written on them.



Quote:
Originally Posted by ghinmi
400 hp? Not a chance.
dyno-proven, with NO porting, even, you wiseacre know-it-all-who-doesn't-know-jack



Quote:
Originally Posted by ghinmi
You can put a Chinese turbo on any engine, I don’t see your point here.
True, but doing it to the build I just outlined lets you keep the stock cam and with it the 28 MPG that no other carbureted small block V8 can give you at the same cost, let alone power level, let alone easy assembly.



[QUOtE=ghimni}500 is really pushing it on a stock sbc. Do not plan on it lasting very long.[/QUOTE] Not true, IF you do like I specified, and keep it from ever having ANY detonation. MSD makes a kit for this, as do others, since most detonation is not audible to the driver. But boosting 12 psi on cast pistons means ANY detonation will destroy stuff.



Quote:
Originally Posted by ghimni
What you have described isn’t possible with a Chevy either so does it even matter?
I have done it. Period. The end. Hush.

There's this thing called science. Wherein if a real scientist has all the info on something, they can independently duplicate it and get identical results. I haven't given you enough details, nor do I plan to ever give them to you specifically, because you lack the correct attitude of a legit scientist. But everything I claim can be independently verified. Such measures are necessary when you accomplish the things I have accomplished.

Last edited by whyholdback; 01-30-2012 at 06:50 AM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #280 (permalink)  
Old 01-30-2012, 07:45 AM
MARTINSR's Avatar
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser
 
Last photo:
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: San francisco bay area
Age: 55
Posts: 13,006
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 712
Thanked 1,078 Times in 961 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by whyholdback
There's this thing called science. Wherein if a real scientist has all the info on something, they can independently duplicate it and get identical results. I haven't given you enough details, nor do I plan to ever give them to you specifically, because you lack the correct attitude of a legit scientist. But everything I claim can be independently verified. Such measures are necessary when you accomplish the things I have accomplished.
The thing you are forgetting is 99.9% of the cars out there are built by someone not nearly as brilliant as you, and they are NOT building that motor you describe. They are putting in a stone stock small block or stone stock with an aftermarket manifold bought from Summit and THAT is giving you not one friggin thing more than most any other engine out there. And buying the parts for the "odd" engine is only hard if one is only going down to the ORielly auto parts store and asking the dude at the counter. Because once they get into the "community", the AMC "Community" the Buick "Community", etc. once they get into that community they find out these "odd ball" engines aren't that much different to get parts for after all. Heck, my brother is into Buick Nailheads. He once searched out and found a pair of "D port" heads that Buick motor division made only 47 pairs 50 years ago! But when one gets into the community he is a "Brother" and all is available to him.

Brian
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #281 (permalink)  
Old 01-30-2012, 08:02 AM
stich626's Avatar
gearheadslife
 

Last journal entry: The TwoTonShu #10
Last photo:
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 372
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 0
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MARTINSR
The thing you are forgetting is 99.9% of the cars out there are built by someone not nearly as brilliant as you, and they are NOT building that motor you describe. They are putting in a stone stock small block or stone stock with an aftermarket manifold bought from Summit and THAT is giving you not one friggin thing more than most any other engine out there. And buying the parts for the "odd" engine is only hard if one is only going down to the ORielly auto parts store and asking the dude at the counter. Because once they get into the "community", the AMC "Community" the Buick "Community", etc. once they get into that community they find out these "odd ball" engines aren't that much different to get parts for after all. Heck, my brother is into Buick Nailheads. He once searched out and found a pair of "D port" heads that Buick motor division made only 47 pairs 50 years ago! But when one gets into the community he is a "Brother" and all is available to him.

Brian
aval. to you and affordable are two very very different things..
take ram air IV heads.. no matter if your a pontiac "brother" it's still gonna cost you.. today. cost is everything.. well.. for most, some have more money than god.. but even some of them spend "wisely" some can fab up anything they need, like headers , mounts, etc.. some can't , some can't now but might be able to later in life..
some dare I say it. don't care whats under the aircleaner..

and this is why( i think) the rat rod thing took off.. no need for perfect everything, because thats what that group of our hobby became.. 10 years ago a primered rod would get turned away.. hell they did it to, of all people Gray Bakersfield.. at a goodguys show.. now that a cast iron intake and that 60 y/o carb can be seen as kool. I think you'll see a ton more oddballs,, and not just engines, today anything goes.. no need for billet everything, so the door gaps are not perfect.. rust ,past dead paint.. all good today.. opening the hobby to alot of people that couldn't afford or have the skill for that perfect rod..
I keep eyeballing my dads rustbucket 27 dodge, and think a jeep 4.0 and auto , a few bucket seats, and drive that sucker, new englnd rot and all
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #282 (permalink)  
Old 01-30-2012, 08:07 AM
MARTINSR's Avatar
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser
 
Last photo:
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: San francisco bay area
Age: 55
Posts: 13,006
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 712
Thanked 1,078 Times in 961 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by stich626
aval. to you and affordable are two very very different things..
take ram air IV heads.. no matter if your a pontiac "brother" it's still gonna cost you.. today. cost is everything.. well.. for most, some have more money than god.. but even some of them spend "wisely" some can fab up anything they need, like headers , mounts, etc.. some can't , some can't now but might be able to later in life..
some dare I say it. don't care whats under the aircleaner..

and this is why( i think) the rat rod thing took off.. no need for perfect everything, because thats what that group of our hobby became.. 10 years ago a primered rod would get turned away.. hell they did it to, of all people Gray Bakersfield.. at a goodguys show.. now that a cast iron intake and that 60 y/o carb can be seen as kool. I think you'll see a ton more oddballs,, and not just engines, today anything goes.. no need for billet everything, so the door gaps are not perfect.. rust ,past dead paint.. all good today.. opening the hobby to alot of people that couldn't afford or have the skill for that perfect rod..
I'm with you, that is what most think and a lot of if is true. It really comes down to how much you want to work. I personally have had one SBC in my life, my first car being bought in 1974 and the only one I have ever owned was a 68 Camaro my ex drove it from 77-86 while I was driving Buicks. And even in that time it was being restored for a year or more and she drove a Nova with a 235 in it. In all these years I have driven "Odd ball", even my latest model car was an odd ball being a Yamaha motor powered SHO. I have made it where ever I am going every time. I just haven't seen the big deal and just make it happen, on a tight budget too.

Brian
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #283 (permalink)  
Old 01-30-2012, 08:11 AM
T-bucket23's Avatar
Hotrodders.com Moderator
 
Last wiki edit: Engine basic condition - how to check Last photo:
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Massachusetts
Age: 56
Posts: 5,094
Wiki Edits: 26

Thanks: 7
Thanked 102 Times in 87 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by whyholdback
The 350: The only small block to offer great modern heads cheap: The Mopar Magnum heads all crack, and don't flow as well as Vortecs either stock vs stock or ported vs ported. Same flow problem for the Ford GT40 heads, plus they're very very rare. Scoring the desirable 906 or 062 Vortecs for $40 per pair on Pick-N-Pull's half price day is a no-brainer. And with them, grab any '87-up 3650 for the mimimal bore wear thanks to EFI, and the cast-in provisions for roller lifters, plus the 1-piece rear main seal and the pickup truck oil pan fits nearly everything. You can usually just do a hone job yourself, reuse the rings and bearings, and assemble it with new gaskets. FelPro offering their rubber-coated steel-shim head gaskets so cheap makes it so easy to get the quench right.
Now, top it with a QuadraJet and a '75-'79 HEI, gear it for 1650 RPM at 60 MPH, and hello 28 MPG in a slippery car like my '84 Trans Am. Or toss the stock cam, order this cam: ( http://www.lunatipower.com/Product.aspx?id=2007&gid=281 ) and have 400 HP with no machine work. There goes your 28 MPG, however. Better to get your power with a Chinese turbo, so you can have over 400 HP with 28 MPG. No need for forged pistons, either. Just keep it from ever having any detonation, and the stock parts will survive 500 HP. Can't have this with any other engine, let alone this cheap or this easy, let alone both this cheap and this easy.
So what if it's a me-too engine. Novelty means nothing next to what I just typed.
So you took a 250 or so HP stock engine, put Vortec heads and a cam with under .500 lift and made it into a 400HP monster with no other modifications.
I would like to see some dyno sheets on this.
I call BS on this one
__________________
Artificial Intelligence is no match for Natural Stupidity



Chet
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #284 (permalink)  
Old 01-30-2012, 08:26 AM
stich626's Avatar
gearheadslife
 

Last journal entry: The TwoTonShu #10
Last photo:
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 372
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 0
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by T-bucket23
So you took a 250 or so HP stock engine, put Vortec heads and a cam with under .500 lift and made it into a 400HP monster with no other modifications.
I would like to see some dyno sheets on this.
I call BS on this one
well not to start a war.. but this with a performer intake and headers makes over 350hp with a tiny cam

■1986-2000 style block, 1pc rear seal 2 bolt mains -(No mechanical Fuel Pump Provision)
■Nodular Iron Crankshaft
■Powdered Metal Connecting Rods
■Hypereutectic Pistons
■9.4:1 Compression Ratio
■Roller Camshaft-
■Specs-■Intake Lift- .414"
■Exhaust Lift-.428"
■Intake Duration @.050"- 191
■Exhaust Duration @ .050-196
■Lobe Centerline-111

■Vortec Cylinder Heads- 64cc,1.94" intake,1.50" exhaust
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #285 (permalink)  
Old 01-30-2012, 08:55 AM
cobalt327's Avatar
WFO
 
Last wiki edit: Intake manifold
Last journal entry: 1980 Malibu Wagon
Last photo:
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Atlanta
Age: 59
Posts: 5,037
Wiki Edits: 1616

Thanks: 128
Thanked 597 Times in 546 Posts
Apples to oranges department...

8-9 years ago, CC did 318 with Magnum heads that made just over 400 HP, NA, with a Comp XE268. Cam has 224º/230º @ 0.050" lift with .477"/.480" max lift.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Recent Hotrodders' Lounge posts with photos

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
small block chevy engine id code help princesswz Engine 21 11-19-2012 06:10 PM
big block or small block chevy 69YENKONOVA Engine 81 05-13-2010 07:26 AM
Chevy small block fuel injection homesimpsonr Engine 7 05-19-2007 04:11 PM
Chevy Small Block Heads druss32 Engine 17 05-10-2006 08:35 PM
6"rods in 400 chevy small block 406chevelle Engine 17 06-20-2003 11:14 PM


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 01:08 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2
Copyright Hotrodders.com 1999 - 2012. All Rights Reserved.