Why I have grown to hate the Small Block Chevy..... an essay - Page 22 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > General Discussion> Hotrodders' Lounge
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-03-2012, 01:58 PM
gearheadslife

Last journal entry: The TwoTonShu #10
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by CometCyclone
Well, to coin a phrase and to revive and old cliche, "You can lead a horse to water, but it might take many years for it to realize that Ford engines are the way to go!"

I think that's how that cliche goes^

Seriously though, I've never been a 'fad' person, and I dont usually go with the flow(except when driving the highway, as its safer)

For that reason, I started liking Fords right from the start, because even by the mid 80's, late 60's-early 70's Chevelles and Novas were everywhere! Plus, most old and newer Hot Rods had 350's....... I just got so tired of hearing everyone talk about how they were going to be installing a 350 into their Nova, Camaro or Chevelle. Also, whenever I saw a 20's-50's Hot Rod, I'd say that 85% had SBC's, and mostly 350's.

So, whenever I went to a car show, or saw a muscle car or Hot Rod, and I asked what engine the person had in it, if the person said "oh, it's a 350", I'd then look at it with MUCH less interest and less respect. Not that I'd totally dislike the car, it's just that it would always be a big disappointment to see the same old, same old. So I'd usually say "looks nice", then walk away with not much enthusiasm.

However, if I saw a Hot Rod or non original muscle car with the 'right' engine, I'd be so much more impressed with it, and it's owner! If they built an old Pontiac WITH a Pontiac engine, I thought that was great, even though I was a Ford guy.

But then, I started to feel the same way about Mustang GT's........ When I went to the dragstrip on Friday nights in the late 80's-90's, there were just Sooooo many Mustang GT's and LX's with 302's(5.0) or bored/stroked versions of the 302. So I became bored with them, especially during the 80's and 90's when the GT had very little factory horsepower.

But that will NEVER compare with my tiredness of seeing 350's in just about everything! Especially when someone puts a Chevy 350 in a Gran Sport, or in an Olds, or in a Mopar, or God forbid......in a Ford, which seems to happen the most!

Most of my friends are/were Chevy folks, although there have been quite a few Mopar guys and a few Ford people(even an AMC guy with a Rambler) and I did always resent the fact that it was so much easier for them to find parts than it was for me to do the same. Try finding parts for either a '65 Comet or a '71 Torino Gt in the late 80's to mid 90's, when there was no internet and almost nobody had computers! We even have a regional street filled with auto salvage yards, but when I called asking for ANY part for a Torino GT or Comet, they'd laugh! They had NOTHING........ So I had to fix or fabricate stuff.

But still doesnt excuse dropping 350's in cars that arent made by Chevrolet, and doing it constantly. Engines and parts from 'other' US auto makers arent that hard to find.
the best reply is , for the last 5 years the fastest mustangs in the land have been lsx powered.. maybe ford flag fliers should work on that..

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-08-2012, 10:46 PM
a red wool sock on his dinger

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by stich626
the best reply is , for the last 5 years the fastest mustangs in the land have been lsx powered.. maybe ford flag fliers should work on that..
That's news to me, although one of the fastest cameros is Windsor powered...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Recent Hotrodders' Lounge posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.