Why I have grown to hate the Small Block Chevy..... an essay - Page 3 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > General Discussion> Hotrodders' Lounge
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-30-2006, 08:36 AM
How’s that hopey-changey thing

Last wiki edit: Determining top dead center
Last journal entry: Quicky frame dolly
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 8

cry me a river

Take out the word SBC and change it to RED CARS and all the boredom, crying and yawning still applies. SO in conclusion , what is the point? MOST like Chevy's SB for whatever reasons. Hot Rods are a personal thing with one's own ideas applied. But of course if one is a buyer and not a builder, then I guess you might have a complaint. If that is the position you find yourself in then the logical choice (your choice) is to go out and BUY another car find things you do not like and post about it. So far as to many to common SBC's in a word TS . OBTW I love 348 and 409 s think I will run right out buy and build one ........ any suggestion where I might find one ............... jegs? summit? moon? world engines? ................ get the point just one SMALL example why the SBCs are all over, not to mention they are fun the run.
As far as car shows go. I go to em take my car ,display it ,sit by it and yak with all the experts and NEVER worry if one likes my build ............... why because after all the experts judge,make mental changes and offer suggestion, and walk back to their consumer cars to drive home. I on the other hand crank up my ride and drive home in my boring SBC digging it all the way. Five fingers in the windshield to ya.. ever notice how the weak always attack the strong

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-30-2006, 03:15 PM

Last wiki edit: Building a new shop
Last journal entry: Christmas 2008 came early!!!
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 54

I'm in the same mind of thought as poncho and Brad, I guess. I've loved all Chevy offerings, but I sure won't insult a Ford or Chrysler just because it's not a Chevy. What burns my mufflers isn't even the fact that it's an SBC powered rod, it's the way even some Chevy guys are to each other. If I mention that I have a 305 powered '78 Monte Carlo, all I hear is "it's not a 350" or "it's not a Camaro or a '55-57 Bel Air, ditch it". My old '93 Chevy truck had a 4.3. After a good long haul with it and a cab full of passengers, popping the hood revealed more stunned looks than Janet Jackson's halftime show.

I have chosen how to build my car. A 305 will be my powerplant of choice. My car, my way. It wouldn't matter one bit if I had a '30's something Buick with a 500 Caddy. I'd feel the same. A buddy of mine from years ago once told me, "If you growl in my direction about my car, you better grab the Band-aids, 'cause it's gunna hurt when I bite back."

Centerline, I see your points about hating the SBC, but it almost seems like you still like them, you're just sick of everybody and their uncle using them in everything from a rat rod to a lawn mower based pulling tractor. I may be wrong, but I'd bet that if you had to start over today in this hobby of ours, with no "car guy connections", a very limited budget, and minimal skills, you'd be a follower of the SBC all over again. Maybe I'm wrong, but I'm guessing you would be.

In a while, Chet.
Old 01-30-2006, 03:25 PM
Lost in the 50s!

Last journal entry: time to start body work
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by pepi
Take out the word SBC and change it to RED CARS and all the boredom, crying and yawning still applies.......

You know....to me thats pretty funny right now.

My truck was red from the factory (color code "R" in 56 = torch red). I was just talking to a friend of mine (we were looking through car show pics online) and I told him mine will not be red again (if I have a choice). Almost every one of the f-1s and f-100s in there were red.
Old 01-30-2006, 03:47 PM
RatRod B4 RatRods were Cool

Last photo:

Most all V8s are boring to me now. I want to see some built up in-line 6s.
Old 01-30-2006, 03:59 PM
Be the MIRACLE!

Last journal entry: Running boards (part DUEX)
Last photo:

I guess you could be right. I'm lazy. But that's not true. I've almost always had chevy's so I (use the word loosely) UNDERSTAND, them more than the other motors. I (actually my wife bought it for me) got the motor for a hundred bucks. I did find a non-running hemi for $300. Since I'm not overly mechanically inclined (what kind of tranny fits it? What kind of rear end will it take?) and have a limited fundability with the greenback (oh crap, how far is payday away again? Do the kids really need lunch money?) Plus adding the factors that this is my first street rod and I have learned a whole lifetime of new skills in a very short time. I figured with the learning curve that I was in it was better to play it safe and go with one that I could somewhat understand and get parts readily for if it broke down. But I admit. I have drooled over the hemi and have regretted putting in the tried and true cookie cutter motor. That old DeSoto cries out for a hemi... but who knows... maybe the next rod might not be sbc? (wrings hands with a devilish look on his face. Muhahahhhaaaaa!)
(disclaimer; this was not taken personally, this was just some of the thought process I had for using a sbc.) By the way Centerline I know you build really good stuff!

Last edited by 38 special; 02-02-2006 at 05:28 PM.
Old 01-30-2006, 04:11 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Centerline
I have to agree with you about their advertising. I guess when you're making cars as ugly as the Charger and your best bet, the Challenger, isn't out yet you do what you have to in order to sell cars.

What I'm really waiting for is NASCAR's approval for Dodge to run the new hemi. That will send Ford and Chevy back to the drawing boards just like it did in '64.
nascar would not let ford run ther 427 hemy or ther 429hemmy so why let chrysler. nascar should let ford run ther 4cam5.4and the chrysler hemy and toyotas hemy. chrysler has a stone age hemy with a good ad campain.let the chevy guys run the north star.
Old 01-30-2006, 05:22 PM

Last wiki edit: Mopar tapered axle rear brake conversion
Last journal entry: What I'm doing now...
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 49

Quote:
Originally Posted by pepi
......But of course if one is a buyer and not a builder, then I guess you might have a complaint. If that is the position you find yourself in then the logical choice (your choice) is to go out and BUY another car find things you do not like and post about it.......
Not to bust your chops or anything but I build my cars I don't buy them and not a single one will ever again have a SBC between the frame rails. It's also pretty obvious to me anyway that you missed the entire point of the essay.

Your opinion has bee noted however and in this thread at least you are in the small minority who are attempting to defend the choice of this excellent, abet boring "cookie cutter" motor.

Quote:
Originally Posted by schnitz
Centerline, I see your points about hating the SBC, but it almost seems like you still like them, you're just sick of everybody and their uncle using them in everything from a rat rod to a lawn mower based pulling tractor. I may be wrong, but I'd bet that if you had to start over today in this hobby of ours, with no "car guy connections", a very limited budget, and minimal skills, you'd be a follower of the SBC all over again. Maybe I'm wrong, but I'm guessing you would be.

In a while, Chet.
I've built my share of small blocks over the years, Chevy's and Fords, and you're right it is kind of a love hate relationship with the SBC. They're great motors but damn I get awful tired of seeing the same power plant in almost every street rod. That's why I'll never build another one. I've graduated to Hemis, BB Chryslers and one of these days I'm going to build myself a flathead powered roadster.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 38 special
I guess you could be right. I'm lazy. But that's not true. I've almost always had chevy's so I (use the word loosely) UNDERSTAND, them more than the other motors. I (actually my wife bought it for me) got the motor for a hundred bucks. I did find a non-running hemi for $300. Since I'm not overly mechanically inclined (what kind of tranny fits it? What kind of rear end will it take?) and have a limited fundability with the greenback (oh crap, how far is payday away again? Do the kids really need lunch money?) Plus adding the factors that this is my first street rod and I have learned a whole lifetime of new skills in a very short time. I figured with the learning curve that I was in it was better to paly it safe and go with one that I could somewhat understand and get parts readily for if it broke down. But I admit. I have drooled over the hemi and have regretted putting in the tried and true cookie cutter motor. That old DeSoto cries out for a hemi... but who knows... maybe the next rod might not be sbc? (wrings hands with a devilish look on his face. Muhahahhhaaaaa!)
(disclaimer; this was not taken personally, this was just some of the thought process I had for using a sbc.) By the way Centerline I know you build really good stuff!
You are probably the perfect example of someone who had a good reason to choose the SBC. It makes perfect sense for someone working on a budget but its they guys who can afford to use something else and have no imagination that bother me.
Old 01-30-2006, 05:38 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last photo:

Centerline,

I think that what we are seeing with all of these cookie cutter cars is mere market saturation.

Building a street rod has become a big business and now we see lots of guys who just buy "kits" and chrome parts, etc right off of the shelf.

If you've got enough money, you can just "buy" your way into the hobby. You don't have to have any real special skills or mechanical ability anymore or imagination for that matter.

Gone are the days of people building their own performance cars because they can't afford to buy one. Those were the old days when poor boys hot rodded what they had, while rich boys went out and bought a new machine.

Now it's wealthy guys taking up rodding because it's the faddish thing to do these days. That's why you see so many cookie cutter cars with crate engines. A crate engine is boring to me, I'll never put one in anything I have. I build my own power.

I think anything can become mundane and boring. I just built a 404 c.i. 283 small block chevy with 6 strombers for a guy with a nostalgia drag/show car.

It's got a mag, completely worked fuelie heads, all of the old stuff. You can't call that boring, and it doesn't have one inch of Chinese stuff or chrome on it.

It really boils down to how the vehicle is done. A hemi could be made to be boring if it's done wrong.
Old 01-30-2006, 06:00 PM

I can see how Centerline see's the sbc as boring cause alot of rodders have them. The guy's I hang with build their rods for themselves, and not what other people deem they should have. The sbc is popular cause it's cheap, and you can buy a bazillion parts for them. The last time you went to a rod show, how many '32 Fords did you see? Did they have that sbc? How many black or red were there? I guess when you look at it, there is alot of boring stuff out there.
Old 01-30-2006, 06:12 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Centerline

I've built my share of small blocks over the years, Chevy's and Fords, and you're right it is kind of a love hate relationship with the SBC. They're great motors but damn I get awful tired of seeing the same power plant in almost every street rod. That's why I'll never build another one. I've graduated to Hemis, BB Chryslers and one of these days I'm going to build myself a flathead powered roadster.

You look at things then kinda the way I do (or versa-visa). I don't know about you, but Hot Rod, Car Craft, Super Chevy, and CHP are all making me sick with the "build a '69 Camaro with a 383 or 502" articles. I personally would choose a Chevy to build for much the same reason as 38 special. Fords just scare me over interchange issues, and I just dislike all that Chrysler has left to offer in my price range. If I could afford to make mistakes on interchanging parts, yes, I'd go Ford. For now, Chevys got me hooked there. Along the same thinking, given the chance, I'd almost kill for a Max-Wedge Hemi Dart or a Superbird. That's just not going to happen tomorrow for me.

That stated, Now I'll be "stuck "with reading all of your posts until you build that flathead roadster. It shouldn't matter, I read most of your posts anyway.

In a while, Chet.
Old 01-30-2006, 06:17 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAX18
The last time you went to a rod show, how many '32 Fords did you see? Did they have that sbc? How many black or red were there? I guess when you look at it, there is alot of boring stuff out there.

I sure hope Dewey (cboy) doesn't see this^^^^. His 'red '32 Ford will wind up being Lime Green for the next show he attends....

In a while, Chet.
Old 01-30-2006, 06:43 PM

Last wiki edit: Mopar tapered axle rear brake conversion
Last journal entry: What I'm doing now...
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 49

Quote:
Originally Posted by NAIRB
Centerline,

I think that what we are seeing with all of these cookie cutter cars is mere market saturation.

Building a street rod has become a big business and now we see lots of guys who just buy "kits" and chrome parts, etc right off of the shelf.

If you've got enough money, you can just "buy" your way into the hobby. You don't have to have any real special skills or mechanical ability anymore or imagination for that matter.

Gone are the days of people building their own performance cars because they can't afford to buy one. Those were the old days when poor boys hot rodded what they had, while rich boys went out and bought a new machine.

Now it's wealthy guys taking up rodding because it's the faddish thing to do these days. That's why you see so many cookie cutter cars with crate engines. A crate engine is boring to me, I'll never put one in anything I have. I build my own power.

I think anything can become mundane and boring. I just built a 404 c.i. 283 small block chevy with 6 strombers for a guy with a nostalgia drag/show car.

It's got a mag, completely worked fuelie heads, all of the old stuff. You can't call that boring, and it doesn't have one inch of Chinese stuff or chrome on it.

It really boils down to how the vehicle is done. A hemi could be made to be boring if it's done wrong.

I have to agree with just about every word. I built a relatively boring hemi for my truck. Single 4 bbl, stock exhaust etc. The most flamboyant things on the entire engine are the black wrinkle powder-coated valve covers but that was just an exercise in putting a hemi where you don't normally find one; i.e. in a Chevy pickup. However the next one which is going in the Deuce 3 window will be a bit different with a fair amount of chrome and 3 deuces.

Last edited by Centerline; 01-30-2006 at 06:48 PM.
Old 01-30-2006, 06:50 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last photo:

To me, there is nothing more beautiful than a well done flatty. The hemi is tough looking and the "W" 348s and ought nines are my top choices for cool looking powerplants.

Good looking engines are not a priority anymore. Look at the new hemi or the ls-1 engines. Talk about ugly looking pieces of plumbing. The underhoods of these cars look like the ceiling of my basement. Nothing but wires and hoses.
Old 01-30-2006, 07:07 PM
life is a ride

Last journal entry: 2014
Last photo:

Just listen to an SBC in full scream. Then you won't hate them anymore.

Anyway, I can't handle rejection. Be nice.

Nice rant, BTW.

vicrod
Old 01-30-2006, 07:33 PM
Sittin' on top of the world...

Last photo:

I wouldn't go so far as to say that I "hate" the traditional small block Chevrolet V-8 engine but I've always agreed with those who believe they DO have their place on the planet and that's sitting between the frame rails of a Chevrolet. With all the trinkets available to decorate the SBC these days, to include billet "Ford" logo'd valve covers and huffers that are capable of enough squeeze for a digger, I still like the old finned aluminum Corvette valve cover look and the traditional Chevy orange paint job on a classic Chevy. Even if it doesn't turn a single head at a car show. The reason I went with all the aluminum aftermarket junk on my motor was because it was easier stuff to shop and probably just about as cheap to do, in the long run.
There are so many killer looking plastic Fords sporting highly decorated SBC's these days that they've pretty much lost their appeal amongst the regulars - they're like bellybuttons. If I was going to put a Chevy motor in a pre-50's anything but a Chevy, it has to be a Rat, and a BAD RAT at that...

Chevy engines belong in Chevys and Ford engines Belong in Fords. Olds, Buick, and Pontiac Big blocks will work fine in just about anything that's old. That naturally goes for the 392 Chrysler Hemi too.

Recent Hotrodders' Lounge posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.