Why I have grown to hate the Small Block Chevy..... an essay - Page 4 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > General Discussion> Hotrodders' Lounge
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-30-2006, 07:49 PM
Bracket racer

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by NAIRB
I disagree with you, Centerline. I don't think people build Chevy engines because they are "easy" or "cheap", it's because they just like them. Let's face it, it is America's sweetheart, and has been since 1955.

The same way that rodders loved the flathead Ford, or the way bike builders love Harley engines.

I think that you've just got a bad case of hemirhoids, Centerline. It's okay that you love hemis, but let's face it, more people love Chevys.

You are in the minority.
+1

Corrected quote sintax

Advertisement

Last edited by Centerline; 01-31-2006 at 07:19 AM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-30-2006, 07:55 PM
Get in, sit down, hang on

Last journal entry: Cab Removal
Last photo:

Yeah, I've voiced my opinion on the same old same old, too.

I was determined to "do something different" for my old GMC.

Common sense was saying "350 TBI" (yawn) but the little devil on the other shoulder was yelling "MORE POWER".

It was a real toss-up between "donor" vehicles:
78 GMC C1500 powered by a 455 Olds (truck was originally a diesel ... and it HAD the hydroboost brakes that I want too!)
or
79 GMC C2500 powered by a 454 Chevy on propane. (Gotta love those distinctive short, wide valve covers and canted valves.)

I chose the 454 ... taking the "easy way out".
The 455 would have been MUCH more unique ... but I DID worry about interchangabilty, price, and availability of parts. Has anyone even seen headers for a 455 in a truck, for example?

Looking at HP/Torque curves on Edlbrock's site steered me towards the BBC, too. Not that 455's aren't torque monsters either, though!

Perhaps if my marriage survives this build, I'll think about the 455 next time.
Old 01-30-2006, 08:23 PM
I need a bucket of arc sparks

Last wiki edit: How to identify SB Ford heads without pulling them
Last journal entry: trunk floor
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1

Now everybody has gone and done it.....I feel abbynormal and want to get back inside of the box. I think I will pull my 289 out of my 66 Merc and stuff in a 350 Chevy, oh but wait there is more.....I am going to pull the 318 out of my 72 Dart and put in a stroker 406 Chevy. I think I want to be even less original and will put in 9" Ford rearends under both cars and Mustang II front suspensions. I am so glad I and seen the light, I really want to be back inside of the box. If you are not with us then you are against us, just chant after me.....SB Chevy is good, SB Chevy is good, aaaahh I think.....NO, don't think, bad, bad Ford and Chrysler....SB Chevy is good, SB Chevy is Good.......
Old 01-30-2006, 10:47 PM
Member# 3287

Last journal entry: Vortec Heads
Last photo:

I look at the SBC from a little different side. I have tried to maintain visual originality for my cars...all Chevys.

I do have to admit, however, that I'm getting a little tired of the "I have a 350 4-bolt" mentality. Maybe my next build will be a screaming 283.
Old 01-31-2006, 12:15 AM
L79 327 5SPD S10 '65GTO

Last photo:

I think the problem now is people don't "HotRod" their cars like they used to. It's all fit'n'finish, paint, wheels, stance, what kind of dead animal covers the seats, how big are the rotors? What shop did the work? NOT... What's under the hood? if there is a hood. Your absolutely right Centerline, no imagination under the hood, except for how am I gonna shape and paint the useless engine cover.

Hell, a sbc even made it into my GTO over the years, (though it's stayin') wait till you see my other V8 S10 (Northstar)

It comes down to what people want though, and if they want to track down Ardun heads, that's what they do, if they want a smallblock chevy, that's what they get, If your going to blame anyone Centerline, blame America, for it's love of the little mouse motor that helped make it.

P.S Belive me man, Chevy, unfortunatly, is trying to undo their Greatness!
and succeding.
Old 02-03-2006, 01:06 PM

Last journal entry: Gas heater
Last photo:

Love your attitude!

I too am looking for something different. I want to install a 318 into my '50 fleetline. Looking for someone who has done something similar.
Old 02-03-2006, 06:39 PM

Last photo:

I agree with Centerline and Nairb about the engine being boring. That's why I built mine without any concern for street manners at all, more people should do it. Every time I drive my Nova to town I get looks and stares from other guys with a small block Chevy and some of them just tell me outright that I'm nuts. It'll soon be even nastier than it already is when I get the tunnel ram with direct port nitrous plumbed. I don't care, at least it's not another 355", XE268, Air Gap, 600 Holley, Accel HEI, 4 bolt main, Double Hump wheezin' lump under the hood.

Mine's a ugly, rusted up, half primered 10 second b-a-d-a-s-s.

Larry
Old 02-03-2006, 07:05 PM
Wherever you go, there you are

Last photo:

the other chevy

Does anyone remember the other chevy engine? Can you say BBC. look for this one to be driven to the shows this summer.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0757em.JPG
Views:	89
Size:	119.7 KB
ID:	9821  
Old 02-03-2006, 08:37 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by enjenjo
The original motovation for putting a SBC in rods, they were shaped like a flathead where it counts. So you could put a 283 into a 34 Ford without cutting anything.

I'm living that dream!

Last edited by 345coupe; 02-03-2006 at 08:43 PM.
Old 02-03-2006, 08:54 PM

Last wiki edit: Window removal and installation Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 11

I don't "hate" Chevy's I've just grown to generally prefer Fords over the years. But when I go to car shows seeing one 350 TPI after another in slightly different rods I get bored pretty quickly. More than once I've thought "Why did they put a 350 in that old Ford (or Dodge, or whatever)." Since any number of rods are basically built from the ground up these days why the heck can't people build one to accomodate a different engine. If they can't be bothered with being a bit creative why did they build their own car to start with? I don't know. I do know that I don't care squat for Pontiacs. But if somebody tells be there's a hotrod whatever over there with a "SuperDuty" in it you can bet I'm going to have a look. Likewise a 340, a "wedge", Caddy 500, Toronado fwd drivetrain in something else, or whatever. Not because I like any of these things particularly, but because I know they are good stuff, a little out of the ordinary and well worth taking a gander at. And generally when you see such things shoehorned into a vehicle they never belonged in the owner isn't a boring person either.
If you take your 34 Ford (or whatever) with a 350 SBC to a car show and see 30 other "custom" cars just like it, it doesn't bother you? Sure would me.
For some reason the word "mediocre" comes to mind. I don't hate any brand of car or engine. Boring mediocrity, well, that I strongly dislike no matter what form it comes in. Doesn't even have to have anything to do with cars. Just me maybe.
Old 02-03-2006, 09:20 PM

Last wiki edit: Building a new shop
Last journal entry: Christmas 2008 came early!!!
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 54

Quote:
If you take your 34 Ford (or whatever) with a 350 SBC to a car show and see 30 other "custom" cars just like it, it doesn't bother you? Sure would me.
For some reason the word "mediocre" comes to mind. I don't hate any brand of car or engine. Boring mediocrity, well, that I strongly dislike no matter what form it comes in. Doesn't even have to have anything to do with cars. Just me maybe.

Kinda makes me wish my 305 had a different "shape" to it to distinguish it from all those 350's out there. Show any tastefully built car powered by anything bigger than a B&S, and I'll bet you'll see the typical rodder start drooling. It really all has to do with styling and owner view. Coldknock's car trips my mind, but so does cboy's '32, and so does anything running an old Hemi. I'll be different and try to run a cubic inch challenged engine and back it with a GM 10 bolt. Even though I could crate 350 it and run a Ford 9" for almost the same (maybe even cheaper) as I plan on.

In a while, Chet.
Old 02-04-2006, 05:41 AM

Last wiki edit: Ford axle ratio codes
Last journal entry: Rear Suspension
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 31

I like SBC's because of there proven reliability ( 1955-1998 for production vehicles ), but it is getting old in the street rod, 350/TH350, but that is because of the parts made to drop them the old coupes and sedans, why are they mostly made for the SBC, popularity but what made them so popular? parts availibility is there for them ( why many people go for them ) but that's because there popular. I could go with the flow and drop a 350 in my '51 Fleetline but I'm being diffrent and hopping up the 235/ powerglide that is arleady there.
Old 02-04-2006, 07:58 AM

Last journal entry: frame build
Last photo:

How would you like to work for Hot Rod Magazine. They been building the same motor for 50 years. Seems like they would have it right by now.
Old 02-04-2006, 08:04 AM

Last journal entry: Gas heater
Last photo:

Are there many performance products out there for a 318 sb? Can you guys direct me to any vendors that you know of? Websites? Thx.
Old 02-04-2006, 03:26 PM

Last wiki edit: Mopar tapered axle rear brake conversion
Last journal entry: What I'm doing now...
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 49

Quote:
Originally Posted by 73super
Are there many performance products out there for a 318 sb? Can you guys direct me to any vendors that you know of? Websites? Thx.
Outside of the zillion parts available through Summit and Jegs here's a link to Mopar Performance where you'll find everything you could possibly need for your "A" engine.

Recent Hotrodders' Lounge posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.