Hot Rod Forum banner

Why I have grown to hate the Small Block Chevy..... an essay

55K views 316 replies 128 participants last post by  Canzus 
#1 · (Edited)
When reading this essay please don't get the idea that I'm bashing one of hot rodding's legendary power plants. I'm not. The small block Chevy is one of the most popular V8 engines ever built. It is reliable and has almost unlimited potential. Then why, you ask, do I hate this engine? The answer is very simple; there are just too damn many of them.

To be clear, the focus of this essay is on Street Rodding. That category which is generally considered to comprise pre 1949 vehicles. These cars and trucks are generally where engine swaps are most common and the builder has almost total control over the choices he makes. When talking about muscle cars or street machines the assertions of this essay won't always apply and that should be kept in mind when reading this paper. I am not condoning swapping out a 350 in a Nova for a Buick Nailhead. Although different, that swap wouldn't make much sense. However when it comes to Street Rods, the SBC has become not much more than a mundane "also ran."

I don't blame Chevrolet for this at all. I blame the people who are building street rods and the way they perpetuate the use of this engine as the solution to all problems and quite simply the "only" way to go. The popular claim that, "It's reliable and cheap to build," just doesn't hold water. Yes it is reliable, however it is NOT the only small V8 out there, and it is no more reliable (and only marginally less expensive to build) than any number of other domestic V8s. A good choice yes, the only choice?.. not by a long shot.

Let me ask you a question? When you go to a car show don't you get tired of seeing the same power plant in almost every street rod you walk by? I sure do. To me there is nothing more boring than another "cookie cutter" street rod powered by a small block Chevy. I have to ask what is wrong with the builders of these cars. Are they so unimaginative that they just have to use what everyone else does? Where is their originality, creativity, and individuality? These people certainly don't seem to lack these qualities when contemplating the paint scheme or the interior accoutrements so when choosing the engine for their street rod why do they "settle" for what can only be described as just another small block Chevy?

When it comes to choosing a reliable engine Ford and Chrysler along with many others have been building and selling reliable V8s for longer than I care to remember. Ford's venerable 289-302 family or Chrysler's 318-360 small blocks are just as reliable and have just as much potential as any SBC every built. So why do people flock to the SBC like moths to a flame? The answer to this question is not what most people want to here. It's because people by nature are just plain lazy.

Now that I've raised the blood pressure of every SBC owner out there let me explain what I mean. When building a street rod (and we're talking about pre-1950 vehicles here) most people for some unknown reason perceive that it is vastly easier to drop in a SBC than going through a little extra work figuring out how to get that Ford small block to clear the front cross member or spending a little time fabricating engine mounts for a Buick Nailhead. These types of problems are not insurmountable and with a little thought they can easily be overcome, but because most people are by nature lazy they take the easy way out and choose the SBC. By choosing the SBC for some reason the perception is that it's easier to do and there are fewer problems to solve. Yes, it probably does save some time and effort but it is not the only solution to the problem. The argument that the SBC is easier to install in most rods just doesn't stand the test when you think about some other V8s. The Chrysler 318 family for example also has a rear sump pan just like the SBC and this engine can be installed in any rod just as easily. This also holds true for several other domestic V8s. True a little thought and possibly a little extra work will have to go into engine mounts but the price of being an individual and a leader is almost always worth the extra effort.

OK so we have now established one reason the SBC is so popular. People by nature are lazy. Now let's look at another reason. People are, for the most part anyway, cheap. Being cheap however is a relative term. For the teenager that is building a 15 year old Camaro on a very tight budget (based on how much he earns flipping burgers after school) this means that every penny has to count and choosing the SBC is almost a necessity. However to the guy who's spending $10 to $20 grand or more on his prize street rod the slight difference in the cost of building a SBC compared to anything else is negligible. The fact that a set of pistons for the SBC costs $40 less than the same set for a Ford or Chrysler small block means nothing to this person. Then why do they "go with the flow" and choose the SBC? Because people also tend to be sheep. That's right; for the most part we are just a bunch of followers.

Anymore it seems to take a special person to break the mold and choose something different. Why else are there so few street rods with real engines like Nailheads, Flatheads, Hemis, BB Chryslers, BB Fords, Olds, Pontiac, AMC and yes even 348-409 Chevys? Because people are way to willing to follow the leader and just do what everyone else is doing. To me this is, to coin a term from the '60s, nothing more than a cop out! If all you want to be is a follower all your life then more power to you, but to the few people left who have the unique ability to think "out of the box" then the SBC is about as boring as they come.

Finally, I'm not blaming anyone for choosing to build a SBC. It is reliable, cheap to build and can deliver lots of horsepower. I've built my share of 302s, 350s and 327s too but one day I opened my eyes and realized that I no longer wanted to be a follower. I no longer wanted to blend into the woodwork and I was willing to take the time, use the brain power and expend the extra effort that it takes to be an individual. I know we are all by nature lazy and building cheap is almost always a necessity, but being a follower is really more of a choice than anything else. Do the hobby a favor and the next time you're considering building a street rod don't be afraid of being creative, or imaginative. For once be an individual and think "out of the box". Choose something other than what has become over the years a "cookie cutter" engine. Of course on the other hand if the entire reason you're building a street rod is to blend in than by all means go with the SBC. After all it is by far the best way to disappear into the crowd.

See less See more
#127 ·
fat40 said:
..... but that's just what it is your opinion .

Fat40 :thumbup:
Yep. Don't get me wrong I've rebuilt my share of small block Chevys over the years and they're great little motors. The only thing that really bugs me is that it seems now days that most people don't even consider something different when building a street rod anymore. It's like "I want the coolest car in the world but I'm going to power it with the same thing everyone else has" mentality.

I completely understand why a lot of people choose the SBC but it's no longer the "only" choice as it once was. Also, the "reliability" argument just doesn't hold water anymore. But hay, if that's what flips someone's switch, good for them. :thumbup:

#128 ·
i agree that there is just wayyyy to many SBC's out there but..like has been said..its the aftermaket part availability for them that started all that..now there's just as much aftermarket parts for many others..
i like ALL types of engines & rods..when someone has a SBC because thats his preference...i have NO problem with it at all..im just the kind of person beleives in keeping a thourobred a thourobred..not mix matching engines in different types of vehicles..just MY preferences..as in some others preferences to do the opposite
SBC's are easy to work on..ive owned several of them as i have several other fords..pontiacs & a few mopars..but by far the SBC to me IS the EASIEST to work on but..that doesnt mean its the BEST by far

for instance..my freind has a 67 fairlane..he done the car from ground up..put a 383 SBC stroker in it..went to many shows & in my opinion he should of won alot more trophies than he did because his car is CLEAN in every aspect & lost to cars i seen alot worse off than his
now he has it all tore down again..bought a rolled over 2000 GT mustang..using the whole drivetrain including the 4.6 wiring harness..FI system...AC & even the gauges in the dash..i cant wait untill its done..it'll be his show car but it will be an awesome daily driver & im bettin he'll get ALOT more attention to it this time along with trophies

my son has a 69 el camino needs all done..he WAS going to just rebuild the SBC 350 goodwrench engine that is in it already..but after a little talking to him & him seeing at the shows that is mostly the same thing in those old caminos..he decided to keep an eye out for a donor car or truck with a newer 5.7 FI setup & use the whole drivetrain setup..i know its still just another small blockchevy but at least its not just the average SBC 4 barrel setup you see alot

so what it all boils down to really is just the overwhelming population of all the basicly same ole SBC setups in alot of vehicles..thats what makes it boring for the chevy guys or others who are the judging or just looking..make it a little different but keep it throurobred in my opinion

#129 ·
the ONLY reason people put the SBC in street rods is either because they're die hard Chevy guys or they have no imagination.
this is where I think your off the mark. for some yes, but your generalizing an entire subset of the hobby (and many that it is not a hobby but a business). Generalization leads to stereotypes which leads to prejudice which is directly correlated to ethnocentrism (we're getting into big words here :D ) which is the assumption that one's own groups lifestyle, values and patterns of adaptation is superior to all others. which simply is not the case.

I'm not a die hard chevy fan, I've owned just about every brand under the sun and some that are no longer in existence (hudsons, AMC, delorean, Nash etc) and currently have more fords than chevy's. I used a SBC in my 49 cause thats what I had, had I not had any creativity I would have slapped a SBC in it and left the rest alone.....yet do you see much stock material in my truck? fact is there isnt a panel or peice that hasnt been modified using my own creativity and vision as to what I think it should look like....

Attachments

#130 · (Edited)
I myself am more interested in technology in the engine department, so as soon as my 454 in the 34 pontiac is sold I will be installing one of the following:

1. nissan VH45DE
2. toyota 1UZFE
3. New GM 4.2 liter inline 6
4. 4.6 liter Northstar

Listed in order of preference. I never considered the sbc as a choice for this car because it would have been no fun to build another one, time to move on to something more interesting. I want a head from the factory that flows.

#131 ·
Kallie49 said:
...... Generalization leads to stereotypes which leads to prejudice which is directly correlated to ethnocentrism (we're getting into big words here :D ) which is the assumption that one's own groups lifestyle, values and patterns of adaptation is superior to all others. which simply is not the case.
Sorry but I've never been into Psychodrivel and I don't buy your assertions one bit. Also, I strongly resent the fact that you're insinuating that I am a bigot. I categorize people by a lot of things but race and color have never been in the equation.

Kallie49 said:
...... I'm not a die hard chevy fan, I've owned just about every brand under the sun and some that are no longer in existence (hudsons, AMC, delorean, Nash etc) and currently have more fords than chevy's. I used a SBC in my 49 cause thats what I had, had I not had any creativity I would have slapped a SBC in it and left the rest alone.....yet do you see much stock material in my truck? fact is there isnt a panel or peice that hasnt been modified using my own creativity and vision as to what I think it should look like....
Your truck shows a lot of creativity and excellent workmanship everywhere except under the hood. You could have had one of these and matched the creativity on the outside with a little on the inside if you had just wanted to take the time to do it. However you wanted a SBC and that's what sits between your frame rails.

The above picture of course is certainly not the only way to go but when someone puts a SBC in a street rod just because it's easy or "that's what everyone else is doing", it shows NO imagination in my book.

On another note, over the next three days I'll be attending the NSRA Nationals and of the 10,000-12,000 street rods there probably 80% (mostly Fords) will be powered by a SBC. This alone is a perfect example that shows most people are natural born followers, not leaders.

#132 · (Edited)
sbc's

well the way i see it if you don't like something, DON'T LOOK AT IT!!!!! :) if it bothers you that much let go, move on to somthing else.there are other people who,enjoy sbc's,so leave them alone. i am one of those people who enjoy them.i am in the process of building A 55 CHEVY 2 DR HT one w/ about 300hp and i will be very well satisfied. by the way my sbc will have something not to many people do to them TRI POWER. :D

#133 ·
rmpe739 said:
well the way i see it if you don't like something, DON'T LOOK AT IT!!!!! :) if it bothers you that much let go, move on to somthing else.there are other people who,enjoy sbc's,so leave them alone. i am one of those people who enjoy them.i am in the process of building A 55 CHEVY 2 DR HT one w/ about 300hp and i will be very well satisfied. by the way my sbc will have something not to many people do to them TRI POWER. :D
You need to read the original article that started this thread.

#134 ·
Stirring the pot... (hee-hee!)

Sooo...... tell me again Bill whatcha think of me building the sledd, a perfect example of NOT using a Chevy motor... and give it to me straight, I can take it... :D

Doc

#135 · (Edited)
Sorry but I've never been into Psychodrivel and I don't buy your assertions one bit. Also, I strongly resent the fact that you're insinuating that I am a bigot. I categorize people by a lot of things but race and color have never been in the equation.
Ah but thats where your wrong, its not psychodrivel its common anthropology which is the study of societies/cultures and and subsets therein (wouldnt you consider the rodding sect to be a culture....yes?) There was no mention of race, religion or color or any mention of bigotry; well other than your statements that is. Fact is you can be prejudice about many different things that have nothing to do with Race/color etc, this wasnt a race/color discussion; yet a SBC discussion. So go back to google and relook up what I referenced for your own knowledge ....empower yourself :mwink:

You could have had one of these and matched the creativity on the outside with a little on the inside if you had just wanted to take the time to do it. However you wanted a SBC and that's what sits between your frame rails.
you supply me with one of those and I'll gladly slap er on in there, till then I work within my means, meaning I dont got a hemi, but I had a SBC sitting under the bench and a budget (with an understanding wife I dont want to take too much advantage of) thats dealing with three projects....one of these days when these three keepers are done and I get bored you can bet a different mill will go in....till then I'll keep my hood shut.

#136 ·
gdubstub said:
My...My...touched a teeny, weeny nerver there, huh Prime? :) Don't tell me...I'll bet you have a Chevy-pissing-on-Ford sticker in your back window.

Relax...I'm not knockin' SBCs...99% of all streetrodders on the planet can't be all wrong, huh, especially since you can get SBC stuff from the SBC rack at your local dairy queen, but I since my dairy queen was back-ordering valve covers this week, I had to go to Krispy Kreme, but just this once... :)

BTW, SBFs fit between the frame rails of everything, but you might have to go to a shorty oil filter...1985 Chrysler Reliant...$2.98...Checker Auto...done...damn...this rope itches.

George
No, as a matter of fact I don't have one of those stupid little pissy characters in my back window. :D There are so many killer old cars out there, tunnel vision alegance to one manufacturer is awful limiting - dontcha think?... If I could find a nice one, I'd trade my 53 Chevy hardtop straight across for a 53-54 Studebaker coupe and power it up with an early 283 or 327 small chevy motor. I just love those cars. :D
There's exception to just about every the rule though... I saw a real 66 GTO at a show a few years back and guess what.. It SPORTED a small block Chevy under the hood. If I was that guy, I'd leave the hood slammed tight. :drunk:
The way the rodding world i'm associated with seems to see it, in order to get away with a Chevy motor in something other than a Chevy without taking flack for it, the ride has to be at least 60 years old. I can live with that notion, i'm not purist anything.

#137 ·
Kallie49 said:
.....There was no mention of race, religion or color or any mention of bigotry; ......:mwink:
Maybe you should go back and look up the definition of a couple of those "big words" you used before you try to use them again. People never should use words they don't understand.

#138 ·
Why I love the Small Block Chevy

Centerline

I installed my first Chevy Small Block in my 40 Ford coupe in 1968, as you know their were a lot less Hot Rods than there are now . It was not a cookie cutter install as it is now , I will agree that it seems all most every new Hot Rod built has a Small Block Chevy motor, mustang II front end and a Ford 9 inch rear end . along with a 350, 400, or 700R4 Chevy Trans .

This package works great and everyone knows it , sure there are other great engines packages and trans you could use, but today there are a lot of guys who have cars built that want to have what every one else has . Should they be criticized for it, I don't think so .

You could say the same thing about everyone using the Ford 9" rear end, and the mustang II front end , but there again it has proven to be a great package, so I think we all need to take a deep breath and relax and not worry what every one is doing in this great hobby, and just enjoy each and every Hot Rod and be glad that we can.

FAT40 :thumbup:

#139 ·
Maybe you should go back and look up the definition of a couple of those "big words" you used before you try to use them again. People never should use words they don't understand.
Funny, cause I have a masters in criminology/psychology and a minor in anthropology, I know full well what they mean, it seems full well to me that you do not.....repeat after me, google scholar is your friend, its not as good as alot of the research websites but it does the job

#140 ·
Centerline said:

Your truck shows a lot of creativity and excellent workmanship everywhere except under the hood. You could have had one of these and matched the creativity on the outside with a little on the inside if you had just wanted to take the time to do it. However you wanted a SBC and that's what sits between your frame rails.

The above picture of course is certainly not the only way to go but when someone puts a SBC in a street rod just because it's easy or "that's what everyone else is doing", it shows NO imagination in my book.

On another note, over the next three days I'll be attending the NSRA Nationals and of the 10,000-12,000 street rods there probably 80% (mostly Fords) will be powered by a SBC. This alone is a perfect example that shows most people are natural born followers, not leaders.
not seeing any of that imagination you refer to with your little picture. am I missing something? ............ Oh I get it, you are a leader because you have a truck with a hemi ........ wow! innovative the only one on the planet. Hemi woop de do. One thing you can take to the bank is this, the top dogs, leaders or any other top of the heap products always have the ankle biters. Being the best at anything always means the rest are jealous, and the BEST becomes a target of the also rans ..................... GO SBC you rule the NUMBERS prove it

#141 · (Edited)
Kallie49 said:
Funny, cause I have a masters in criminology/psychology and a minor in anthropology.....
If you want to throw degrees around fine. I have a Bachelors in secondary education and an MBA. Now that the pleasantries are over please do everyone a favor and do yourself a favor and read the essay that started this thread before you get all in a huff and start insinuating that I'm a bigot again. If you are bound and determined to psychoanalyze me that would be a good place to start.

#142 ·
Maybe missing the point....

pepi said:
not seeing any of that imagination you refer to with your little picture. am I missing something? ............ Oh I get it, you are a leader because you have a truck with a hemi ........ wow! innovative the only one on the planet. Hemi woop de do. One thing you can take to the bank is this, the top dogs, leaders or any other top of the heap products always have the ankle biters. Being the best at anything always means the rest are jealous, and the BEST becomes a target of the also rans ..................... GO SBC you rule the NUMBERS prove it

Lets face it, we are all here to modify what we have, if we were happy with stock or restored cars this site would not exist. I think the point Centerline is trying to make is why be satisfied with just a 350/350/9 inch simply because that is what the aftermarket tools up for when making frames, mounts,kit chassis, etc.??? :rolleyes:

I could have left the stock 223 in the Kustomsledd alone and concentrated on just doing bodywork and adding air ride. I chose the big Caddy 472/400/8 inch because it's different, eye catching appeal, plenty of power for me in stock(reliable) configuration, and I don't think anyone else within 500 miles of me has one "just like it". :thumbup:

To me the cost factor does'nt have anything to do with it. I traded some parts for others, bought some, and when I make mounts it takes the same amount of time for whatever brand engine/trans. To me the fun is in building so why would I buy pre-made mounts? If I wanted a small Chevy it takes the same time and materials cost as the Caddy mounts did. I bought my motor for $175 from a Mich buddy, and drove 100 miles roundtrip to get it. My local yards want about the same no matter what the brand....

Seems the Chevy fans are taking this as a rip on 'their' brand, I wonder if the thread would have the same impact if the subject was... "Why I hate the 9 inch Ford rearend..." :rolleyes:

#143 ·
Well said Doc. People are jumping in without ever reading the original essay and they have NO clue what this conversation is all about so they get their dander all up and have a hissy fit.

#144 ·
One more thing...

They are called OPINIONS, the topic of this thread is an OPINION, not a means to bash a particular brand. The only thing mentioned was the proliferation of Chevy motors in the cars at the shows or in the magazines. Sameness leads to boredom... so that is why I look for cars with ANYTHING but a small Chevy V-8... not because I hate them, just there are only so many ways to dress them up before they become common as the pattern on the wallpaper.... :thumbup: hey now there's an idea. I should make up computer wallpaper with a bunch of pics of small Chevys, and post it up and you all can debate about where the pattern repeats itself... :thumbup: :thumbup: :rolleyes:

#145 · (Edited)
For those who missed it....GO HERE for the Original Essay by Centerline http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/why-i-have-grown-hate-small-block-chevy-essay-80155.html I have a sbc in my hot rod and the essay did not piss me off. The essay was one mans opinion...and he is entitled to that. Its no big deal to me. I have used Y-blocks, wedge heads, flat heads, nail heads, and Olds Rockets in the past. I liked them all. I just build what I have access to or can get. My next one will probably be a sbc again as I have aquired a really nice tri-power set-up for one.

#146 ·
Henry Highrise said:
..... My next one will probably be a sbc again as I have aquired a really nice tri-power set-up for one.
Well, go for it Henry. :D If you're gonna go with a SBC at least go with some interesting carburation. :thumbup:

#147 ·
See there........I did not get pissed at Centerline..........Centerline did not get pissed at me. We respected each others opinions even though they differed. Now ...Whats wrong with the rest of you guys??? Sheeeeesh! :D

#148 ·
I read the essay, twice actually, and it didnt piss me off I saw alot of points I agree with and some I did not (that is if you read my posts as well). I presented an alternative point of view complimentary yet slightly contradictive to the threads originator. Again I saw alot of valid points in the original essay, nothing to get mad about but to incite some good ol' fashioned debate. That said to add to me and centerlines pissin' match (that has nothing to do with SBC's)

do yourself a favor and read the essay that started this thread before you get all in a huff and start insinuating that I'm a bigot again.
Actually I believe it is you that needs to go back and reread my post, as well as reteach yourself (you gotta deg. in education you'll figure it out) what I actually said, I am very careful about the insinuations I produce and in no way shape or form did I ever imply you were a bigot....again you did, but not me. Culturalism and the definitions therein is often a double edge sword of sorts; therefore if you percieve that I called you a bigot, then I will apologize for that, that was not my intention yet a perception on your part.

Nuff said now that thats over with.....

lets talk about old crap thats worth talkin bout, in between of working on my doctorate in my "spare time" and flying helicopters for a living I gotta get some sort of release that doesnt involve heavy thinking or the responsibility of 36 million bucks in hardware and four lives....

#149 ·
Why I Love the Small Block Chevy

Guys

As you all know the only outside difference from A Chevy Small Block and A Ford is where the Distributor sets, may be some head differences . They have all the same dress up parts available so in reality they all get to look alike, unless you are running a Hemi . So if you are running a Old's , Caddy , Hemi or something else , more power to all of you if it makes you think you have used your imagination or were more inspired and not a lazy as the rest of us.

I my self still know that the Chevy Small Block was right for me in my car , and to all of you that run the same welcome to the club , I still say it don't make a hoot what you run in your Hot Rod as long as it makes you happy , and we all need to enjoy the hobby, and each other rides with out being so critical .

FAT40 :thumbup:

#150 ·
PrimeMover said:
No, as a matter of fact I don't have one of those stupid little pissy characters in my back window. :D There are so many killer old cars out there, tunnel vision alegance to one manufacturer is awful limiting - dontcha think?... If I could find a nice one, I'd trade my 53 Chevy hardtop straight across for a 53-54 Studebaker coupe and power it up with an early 283 or 327 small chevy motor. I just love those cars. :D
There's exception to just about every the rule though... I saw a real 66 GTO at a show a few years back and guess what.. It SPORTED a small block Chevy under the hood. If I was that guy, I'd leave the hood slammed tight. :drunk:
The way the rodding world i'm associated with seems to see it, in order to get away with a Chevy motor in something other than a Chevy without taking flack for it, the ride has to be at least 60 years old. I can live with that notion, i'm not purist anything.
I hear ya...I most definitely am not anti-Chevy so much as I am anti-establishment. As Bill said, when he gets to the Nats, 80% of ALL cars will have 350s in them. As I said earlier, it's a self-perpetuating phenomenon that manufacturers sell swap kits for popular engines (sbc 350), and un-imaginative folks will swap 350s because swap kits are available...PLEASE...someone step out of the conga line and invent something new!!

I yawn as I go by the motors in most cars in any given show as most folks do, and that's exactly why I decided to break away from the pack. I dropped a SBF and driveline into my '39 Chev and I get reactions...nasty remarks from the mental hillbillies, pats on the back and handshakes from the Ford guys, good natured poking from the chevy guys, collective discussions from the technical minded as they hover over the engine, photos up the wazzoo...no yawns...

George

#151 ·
I personaly like stuff that is different or rare. That being said, I'm building a 52 Willys Areo street rod with a 302 Ford for power. I recently went to an all Mopar meet at Englishtown and was bored by the lines of "cookie cutter" 340 Cudas and 340 Challengers. 413 Ramchargers and several original 426 Hemi cars, including a one of a kind black on black Hemi Cuda got my attention! I know the SBC is a great motor, but if your building a street rod, come one, a 343 or 409 just looks hot! BTW the Mopar 5.7 and now some 6.1 Hemis are becoming available from wrecked vehicles . A6.1 Hemi is a heck of a motor.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.