Why I have grown to hate the Small Block Chevy..... an essay - Page 6 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > General Discussion> Hotrodders' Lounge
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-05-2006, 11:27 PM
Get in, sit down, hang on

Last journal entry: Cab Removal
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

YOU go Arrowhead!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arrowhead
I am going out on a limb this time though. I'm stuffing a 32 valve 4.6 lincoln mark VIII motor in it right now with a 6-71 and EFI. Don't know if it's going to work and what kinds of problems I might have
Now THAT's hot-rodding!
Go HARD!!!

I had a look at your journal, and it looks like you have that huffer mounted up now?

The valve covers look good in a flat black for contrast with that bright yellow.
Maybe even some of that wrinkle paint would give them a nice textured look?

Drive that out to Alberta when you get her done ... I'd love to see it up close and personal!

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-06-2006, 12:29 PM
EFI Rules and Carbs Drool

Last wiki edit: The FREE T Bucket plans
Last journal entry: Sold Everything for a new project
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 5

Thanks 66GMC,

no the blower is just sitting there in the picture. I still have a lot to fabricate before it's bolted down. Actually, I'm trying to decide on colors for the valve covers and other bolt on parts. Since the blower is raw old school and unpolished, I was thinking of black wrinkle for that too with black wrinkle valve covers. I test painted the valve covers and blower yellow and i kind of like it, but it might be too much. Have to try the black next.
Old 02-06-2006, 12:32 PM

Ok

Ford Kicks ***
Old 02-12-2006, 11:28 AM

rest of message

started to read your message about to many chev engines, i clicked on the address and couldn't find the rest of the message. just curious what you had to say.
richie
Old 02-13-2006, 07:11 AM

Last journal entry: Gas heater
Last photo:

Didn't want a 350, but now have one

OK, after stating that I wanted to be different and was thinking about various options for my '50 Chevy... I found a deal on a sweet running '70 Impala 4 door that was just too good to pass on. Had a great running 350, rebuilt TH350, headers, turbo exhaust, etc. Well needless to say, I caved. Yes, for me it was about finding the best value for the money when it came to a donor car and it looked like the Chevy won out. The pluses, I can run to my local sucks (oops, I mean Schucks) and get performance parts, dress up kits, etc. right off the shelf.. of course the negative... I'm just like everybody else out there with a Chevy SB.. it will be no surprise.. probably even expected that when I raise my hood there will be the ol' 350 sitting under there. Oh well, runs great, I'll be on the road this summer, and I'm still having fun.
Old 02-13-2006, 10:57 AM
I'm not superstitious

Last journal entry: Release catch for trunk lid pt.5
Last photo:

Well, for us here in S.A. it's maybe more a thing of availability and cost. YES, I too feel that the 'normal' looks of a SBC is becoming boring. Everyone use a fairly similar style aircleaner, be it a thin or thick round filter. Therefore I had to change my aircleaner setup just to be different. The car is a Chevrolet and I felt it could only be a Chevrolet (350 SBC TBI) going into it. The TBI setup over here in itself is already being different.

My '52 DeLuxe however is gonna get an I6 even though the car's not gonna be totally original.

The GMC panel truck on the other hand will be open to discussion and what I can get. There I wouldn't mind a blown Hemi or BBC will also do. If I can't do the blower setup I really want to build a custom injection system, again, to be different.

The only reason why I would go with the flow is if I have to. People know me to be different. Even one of the guys I've been buying accessories from over the years knows me as wanting to be different so he doesn't look at me funny when buying something 'different'.
Old 02-14-2006, 10:11 AM

being different

just me
i'm doing a 55 chev frame off, and i know about being different. i'm going to have a 283ci w/ small cam, but whats going to be different is i'm going to have 3x2's w/ a offenhauser manifold. plus it's going to be ceramic chrome w/ all the goodies like billet likage and show chrome lines. i think i'll be the only one in my ny area w/ this set up.
Old 02-14-2006, 10:27 AM

Last journal entry: Gas heater
Last photo:

Different vs. Unique

Well I suppose I can still be "unique" even though I'm running a SB Chevy. I have many custom touches I'm making not only to the exterior, but interior as well, and I'll look for little things that I can do to the air cleaner, engine compartment, etc. that will set it apart from everything else out there. I suppose the skies the limit really. I've been driving the donor car to work every day and I'm sure loving that engine/tranny. I think I made the right choice.
Old 02-14-2006, 05:45 PM

Last journal entry: JB's 37 Pickup
Last photo:

Neophyte, just being a street rodder of US Iron in South Africa is being different!!! My hats off to you!! Build what you can get and enjoy.

Trees
Old 02-14-2006, 10:06 PM
I'm not superstitious

Last journal entry: Release catch for trunk lid pt.5
Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by trees
Neophyte, just being a street rodder of US Iron in South Africa is being different!!! My hats off to you!! Build what you can get and enjoy.

Trees
Thanks for that Trees.

Now that you say so, it's is being different. There isn't a local industry that supports the kind of hobby. Nobody makes stuff specifically for rods. You either have to improvise or import. A LOT of people will ask you "but are you gonna get your money back out of it" and I always answer that that's not what it's about. It's about the fun of it.

Yeah, to a great extent one has to build what you can get. I can't remember seeing a 40 Ford "anything" for sale the last few years. I had a 40 Standard Fordor sedan about 13 ago which I just didn't have the funds for to even start working on never mind complete so I sold it. No I which I had kept it. The problem was that I was staying by my sister at the time.

At least there are now two companies building fibreglass bodies but that costs an arm and a leg. The one company does 32-34 Ford coupes and roadsters and the other does a 41 Willys and something else.

Like Centerline "hates" the SBC it's nearly the same for me with the 55 to 57 Chevy cars. In our club there's a few you'll always see a few at any one of the small local shows. Most non-rodders you talk want one, especially a 57. Most people just don't know what a '53 looks like and that's why I'm building the '53. To be different. I will try my utmost with all my future projects to build something different and I'm not talking about building a "common" car differently.

A lot of guys will customize VW Bugs or Morris Minors but there you have to go to extremes to be different enough to stand out in the crowd. I want something that will make people go "what car is that" and not "there goes another such and such".
Old 04-22-2006, 11:35 PM

sorry

nevermind this post

Last edited by chevy4x476; 04-22-2006 at 11:41 PM.
Old 04-23-2006, 12:01 AM
Race The Truck

Last journal entry: Chevy 2500HD Crew Cab Truck.
Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by onebadmerc
I think some of this has to do with how the aftermarkets primary focus is on the SB Chevy. If a person looks through a Jegs or a Summit Catalog and checks out their heads, 3/4s of the heads will be for SB Chevy's. About 1/8 of the section will be BB Chevy heads and the rest will be Fords,AMCs and Chrysler heads. I totally agree about getting tired of going to a show and 98% of the rods are running SB Chevys. I don't even waste my time looking at the power plants anymore, just because of this. The things that draw my attention is uniqueness, god help me if I was ever made a judge at a car show. Another thing that is getting old is going to the race track and everybody there thinks you need a SB Chevy or 5.0 Mustang to go fast. I commend people who think outside of the box, but this is just my two cents worth.
I remember doing my 78 Dodge 4x4 there was no real after market stuff at the time. You had very little to choose from. Everywhere you look is was Chevy or Ford. Its a little better now, but still, the aftermarket guy's run the show and there not going to tool up if they think there not going to make any money. So pull you old hotrod magazines and you can see the market trends.

Craig
Old 04-23-2006, 09:46 PM

Last photo:

I got out of the box when I bought my 37 Terraplane and stayed out by putting a 340 in it. The neighborhood trans, shop guy told me they are making an adaptor to put a chevy 200r4 behind the mopar and ford engines, might have to go GM on this one. OD sounds good with gas the way it is.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Skirts.jpg
Views:	85
Size:	43.3 KB
ID:	11771  
Old 04-23-2006, 11:58 PM
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser

Last photo:

Thanked 1,319 Times in 1,145 Posts
I am sorry, I didn't read every argument opposing Centerlines BRILLIANT original post. I just want to add something.

If you have your average SBC with the regular belly button dress up goodies, for goodness sakes leave the hood closed at the next rod run. No one needs to see it, they have seen it all before. The body lines on the car are ruined with the hood up and you just have no reason to show off the motor, I am sorry.

Brian

Old 04-24-2006, 12:02 AM

Last journal entry: Update, or fast forward 18 months:
Last photo:

Here's my personal solution:

I use the SBC because of obvious reasons and I show my car with the hood down.

And I have one with the original inline six. That's cool, but slow.

Recent Hotrodders' Lounge posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.