Why I have grown to hate the Small Block Chevy..... an essay - Page 7 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > General Discussion> Hotrodders' Lounge
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-24-2006, 06:59 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by MARTINSR
I am sorry, I didn't read every argument opposing Centerlines BRILLIANT original post. I just want to add something.

If you have your average SBC with the regular belly button dress up goodies, for goodness sakes leave the hood closed at the next rod run. No one needs to see it, they have seen it all before. The body lines on the car are ruined with the hood up and you just have no reason to show off the motor, I am sorry.

Brian

Well said, I think a car looks better with the hood closed
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-24-2006, 10:56 PM
L79 327 5SPD S10 '65GTO

Last photo:

I'd like to see someone running SB2 race heads on thier sbc's with the mirror port intakes and such. That would be a little different.
Old 04-25-2006, 07:38 AM

Last journal entry: Dash Mock-up
Last photo:

Centerline,

I think you have hit the nail on the head (Nailhead?)-I have owned a lot of SBC's and loved them, but as I've gotten older I too have realized that thy are almost Clones-pick up any Month of Street Rodder and thats about all you see.
When I decided to build my '35 I was determined NOT to be the same as a lot of folks, so I picked a BBC-kinda sorry that I didn't pick a BBF-but, it'll still be kinda cool.
The new GenIII small blocks are amazing in their ability to make power, but in my opinion are UGLY. I wonder if we'll ever have as popular of Engine as the SBC (or, even as mundane as it is, as attractive)-
Old 04-25-2006, 08:16 AM
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser

Last photo:

From the looks of the $3.41 dollar gallon of gas I bought yesterday (well, I actually bought 14.5 gallons ) I am thinking the next big thing will be a Toyota Prius powertrain in a Duece highboy.

Brian
Old 04-25-2006, 11:15 AM

Last journal entry: Free tires
Last photo:

Being a Pontiac purist, I can't stand to see a SBC or even a BBC put into a Pontiac of any vintage, but especially Firebirds and GTO's. WHY?

And I to get very tired of the same ol SBC powered street rod. When someone tells you they have a 350/350 in it I think they have a stutter or something.

Last night on Overhauling was a 1968 Pontiac Firebird. Why oh Why didn't they put a Pontiac Injun in it? Call Butler if you don't have one, anything but a Chebby.

Off subject, sorry. They also removed the front turn signals and rear quarter lights, that's what makes a 68 not a 67. My wife says that's why she would never call them to do my Birds, she's afraid they'd ruin them. I'm not sure the guy was real happy with the car either.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	engine1 001.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	33.6 KB
ID:	11795  

Last edited by 428ho; 04-26-2006 at 08:04 AM.
Old 04-26-2006, 07:42 AM

rocket-power

ahh alas i to im tired of looking at the sbc-bbc,but face it guys maybe a girl or too also,there cheap go faster then they should,lotsa parts for them(maybe thats why there so fast)plenty of them around,dont even look at them anymore havent for several years,its like an assembly plant,one red duce +sbc,one green model a+bbc,etc.what happened to rodders is we got old just like the nailhead the rocket the 392 s the stude whens the last time u saw a 270 gmc in anything or even heard the name,i still run the rocket olds as i remember when a j-2 put fear in the heart of everyone,or a b&m stick hydro behind a 394 olds was awfull hard to catch,trouble now is they quit making that motor in 64,most of todays hotrodders dont even remember it.all they know is sbc most dont even know how to work on one anyway ask them what they got and get 350/350,heck i might even look at a good old 327 but they dont know what that is either,could it be that we did this to ourselfs?what bothers me the most is when they take a 50s car and clip it so they can run a sbc yuckkkk to see a buick or caddy and olds with a chevy in it makes me want to clip the owner and put that sbc where i cant see it anymore,years ago when u went downtown on fri or sat night u never knew what was pulling along side u now u can bet itsa sbc nuff said, u can bet my memories arnt filled with sbcs
Old 07-28-2006, 10:13 PM
It's been fun

Last photo:

Sbc

I feel the same way about sbc, cameros, and chevells too. The most interesting Camero I've seen lately was a supercharged 300HP 250 I6 so well done it looked like it could have been factory. The change is in the wind. I went to a O'R**** Auto Parts (Name changed to protect the guilty) and asked the pimpled faced kid at the counter for a part for a small block Chevy, and he didn't know what a small block Chevy was, he asked his manager who also didn't know.. I though I was in the Twilight Zone and left quick (I bet they didn't know what the Twilight Zone is ether) In O'R***s defense I heard they had a house cleaning at that store. Their other store near me has people that can't wait to help and actually know something about cars. They can even look things up in actual paper books if they can't find it in the computer.

Geez I'm getting to be a cranky ole' pharte.

BarryH
Old 07-28-2006, 10:37 PM
A different breed

Last journal entry: New Truck
Last photo:

This post is kind of old, but hey.

I agree on the SBC being all too common. Even though I have one. I did like you said, built a motor on a minimum wage budget. I was 16 at the time, and I got a nearly complete motor for free. All I had to do was scam my uncle out of a set of headers he had in his garage. I also scammed my uncle out of a 283 crank. I sent the motor to the machine shop, I had the 28s crank turned down, and the block had to be bored .040 over. Bought new pistons and rods that would work with the new crank. I had the 202 heads rebuilt with half roller rockers that came on the 194 heads. The heads were ported and polished (by a friend, so no cost), they were matched to the gasket. Then the Edelbrock manifold was ported to match. It ended up making great power on the dyno, and decen torque for what it is, and it sounded good to me.

Now having spent the money on it, and not put it in my '54 yet, I wish I'd gone with something else. I wish I'd gone with a Caddy motor, or something really off the wall. Even though my motor is 'different' because of the internals, it will just look like another SBC, because it is. Its dissapointing now, but I probably would loose money if I sold the motor.

I still have the stock 250 I6 though. Has a Holley 2 bbl and a tube header.

Now, if I ever get around to building a late 20s sedan, I'll piss some purists off. I'd put a Toyota 4 cylinder in it, and put some side drafts on it, or find a way to adapt 4 street bike carbs to it, with progressive throttle linkage.
Old 07-29-2006, 09:00 AM
Crazy Ole Ironhead

Last photo:

to just mention so called"thinking outside the box"..we have a little group of us into 4x4 mud bogging..there is a once a month event that pays pretty good in the top 5 winners where we go to..
all you see is all chevies & fords engines & a few mopars..
a freind of mine decided to be different & built a 300 inline 6 ford..his fugures when done was over 580 Ft pounds of torque at the flywheel..dumped it in a 85 bronco with the whole top cut off..got rid of the IFS front differential & put a dana 60 raduis arm setup under it..folks at the events are actualy PISSED most of the time saying he MUST have nitrous because he tears up those high dollor big blocks in the mud..they just dont realize what kind of torque you can get out of a inline & he said he only has a round figure of 3k in the motor total..
i like all types of engines & cars..just my preference right now that im into fords..when younger..started out chevy..didnt really get along with the guys i was hanging around with because they always talked bad about anything but a chevy like they were king of the world..dont get me wrong..im not bashing ANYONE particular at all..just the type that always has an issue with this type of stuff..i decided back then to be different..went with old ponitacs to drag race..find a cheep 455 in an old wagon..little bit of head work..cam..make the bottom end bullet proof & gear the drivetrain according the high torque at low RPM range...heard ALOT of jokes & insult about using pontiacs but..it wasnt much of a joke when i looked at them in the rear view with my "poor ole N...thinks its a caddilac" car as alot of em called it...
its not the cars with problems..99% of the time its the drivers & owners..EVERY type of vehicle has its issues..im the type of guy who is into CARS & Motorcycles..NOT a name
Old 07-29-2006, 09:18 AM

Last photo:

I agree to a certain extent, Personally I use what I have available at the time, Heck I used the SBC in the 49 chev just cause I got it for free and it was out of a vette, I used the 352 in the 65 cause it was already there, and the 396 in my pinto cause I had that as well, What I really want is a buick nailhead....dem are sweet I just havent found one complete enough to warrent getting yet.

Most likly I'll end up putting an import V8 or V6 in my merc just for fuel efficiency.

Bottom line I think it just has to relate to availability (which goes back to the lazyness) but when I do go to the shows with my 49 I dont open the hood, its all dressed up and lookin nice but I dont want to disturb the flow and detail of my sheetmetal I've spent all that time on by lifting the hood to show off an engine that everyone has seen....

my take
Old 07-29-2006, 10:39 AM

Last wiki edit: General Motors transmissions Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 27

something else

I've got a 472 caddy with an auto running my 48 inch blade sawmill. My son wants to trade motors and put the caddy in a Rat rod 19 durant thats in parts behind the barn, I asked whad do you want with all that torque in a light car. he said to have somethoing different
Old 07-29-2006, 04:13 PM

Last journal entry: 99 soft tail standard I painted
Last photo:

Talk about different,I am building a Buick straight eight for my "A".You should hear all the"why dont you put a SBC in it" I get.I have had alot of SBC motors.I LOVED all of them,but buy the same token,I too like to be a little diffrent.I had the same SBC in 3 diffrent cars,it just wouldnt quit!I sprayed 250 hp worth of NOS thru it all the time......and that same motor is running still to this day with no major problems.

When I went to the salt flats in 2004,a guy that was running with us had major motor problems.He had a SBC.He found the nearest service station,and had it back on the road in a few hours.I bet I wont be so lucky when I go back in 2007.Just my 0.02

EVIL
Old 07-29-2006, 06:57 PM
Crazy Ole Ironhead

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 66ImpSS396
I feel the same way about sbc, cameros, and chevells too. The most interesting Camero I've seen lately was a supercharged 300HP 250 I6 so well done it looked like it could have been factory. The change is in the wind. I went to a O'R**** Auto Parts (Name changed to protect the guilty) and asked the pimpled faced kid at the counter for a part for a small block Chevy, and he didn't know what a small block Chevy was, he asked his manager who also didn't know.. I though I was in the Twilight Zone and left quick (I bet they didn't know what the Twilight Zone is ether) In O'R***s defense I heard they had a house cleaning at that store. Their other store near me has people that can't wait to help and actually know something about cars. They can even look things up in actual paper books if they can't find it in the computer.

Geez I'm getting to be a cranky ole' pharte.

BarryH
me & my brother was at a pep boys yearssss ago..decided to just prank a guy behind the counter with all his "Certified Mechanic" patches on his shirt..we at first thought he would just look at us funny or something..boy was we wrong...
i told him i needed a full engine gasket set for a rebuild on a 1985 302...he came back with it & layed it on the counter..then asked him for a set of 1/4 inch oversized rod bearings for the same 302.....he looked in the computer(while others standing around heard my request & giggling behind us while we were TRYING to hold a straight face)..couldnt find it there..he then went to the books..couldnt find it there..came back with an answer.."we will have to special order that for you sir,thats a high performance option"...we laughed so hard i just left the gasket set there on the counter & left & went to another place for the gasket set....
Old 07-29-2006, 07:10 PM
Get in, sit down, hang on

Last journal entry: Cab Removal
Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuthnCustoms
me & my brother was at a pep boys yearssss ago..decided to just prank a guy behind the counter with all his "Certified Mechanic" patches on his shirt..we at first thought he would just look at us funny or something..boy was we wrong...
i told him i needed a full engine gasket set for a rebuild on a 1985 302...he came back with it & layed it on the counter..then asked him for a set of 1/4 inch oversized rod bearings for the same 302.....he looked in the computer(while others standing around heard my request & giggling behind us while we were TRYING to hold a straight face)..couldnt find it there..he then went to the books..couldnt find it there..came back with an answer.."we will have to special order that for you sir,thats a high performance option"...we laughed so hard i just left the gasket set there on the counter & left & went to another place for the gasket set....
<Partsman biting his tongue as much as possible>
Maybe you should get a job there ... you seem to be an exburp?
Old 07-29-2006, 07:35 PM
Crazy Ole Ironhead

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 66GMC
<Partsman biting his tongue as much as possible>
Maybe you should get a job there ... you seem to be an exburp?

lol..i KNEW that was coming when i wrote it..just had to share the experience..that wasnt intended for anyone particular...theres alot of good knowledgable folks at the auto parts stores..then there's some that seem to know nothing..like the one near us here ..good guys there except for a few but at least those few admit theyre new to the store & learning..

Recent Hotrodders' Lounge posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.