Why I have grown to hate the Small Block Chevy..... an essay - Page 9 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > General Discussion> Hotrodders' Lounge
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-01-2006, 12:24 AM
Sittin' on top of the world...

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Ya know, this has been a damn interesting thread but I'm gittin' about sick n frickin' tired of all this bad mouth talk about GM's small block V8 motor. Ok, you've seen one, you've seen em all - get over it. Don't like the looks of 'em? Go get something with Rocket 88 valve covers and spend a small fortune building it to run.. In 55, When GM came out with the 265, they revolutionized the industry with the "SBC". I love 50's Fords just about as much as I do 50's Chevys but I wouldn't have a Ford 312 motor tamped up my butt sideways.

SBC's make horesepower, they're cheap and fit between the frame rails of damn near anything. You guys that beotch about the sbc would complain if you were hung with a new rope.

Advertisement

Last edited by PrimeMover; 08-01-2006 at 12:30 AM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-01-2006, 09:19 AM
Old Crusty Streetrodder

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrimeMover
Ya know, this has been a damn interesting thread but I'm gittin' about sick n frickin' tired of all this bad mouth talk about GM's small block V8 motor. Ok, you've seen one, you've seen em all - get over it. Don't like the looks of 'em? Go get something with Rocket 88 valve covers and spend a small fortune building it to run.. In 55, When GM came out with the 265, they revolutionized the industry with the "SBC". I love 50's Fords just about as much as I do 50's Chevys but I wouldn't have a Ford 312 motor tamped up my butt sideways.

SBC's make horesepower, they're cheap and fit between the frame rails of damn near anything. You guys that beotch about the sbc would complain if you were hung with a new rope.
My...My...touched a teeny, weeny nerver there, huh Prime? Don't tell me...I'll bet you have a Chevy-pissing-on-Ford sticker in your back window.

Relax...I'm not knockin' SBCs...99% of all streetrodders on the planet can't be all wrong, huh, especially since you can get SBC stuff from the SBC rack at your local dairy queen, but I since my dairy queen was back-ordering valve covers this week, I had to go to Krispy Kreme, but just this once...

BTW, SBFs fit between the frame rails of everything, but you might have to go to a shorty oil filter...1985 Chrysler Reliant...$2.98...Checker Auto...done...damn...this rope itches...

George
Old 08-01-2006, 06:49 PM

Last photo:

Being different

Well, I'd REALLY like to install a GE J79; does anyone know where I can find a good one used? There's nothing like a feeling of that type of power from what I have heard. A little afterburner in the morning will wake ya up they say. Although Jato is right up there too. But then, I wouldn't know. I was never that lucky or smart.

I think I'll try to stick with the 348 that's in my Apache, but the only thing that scares me is breaking down on the road on a long distance trip. Still, I don't know where I heard it, but supposedly with a spare fuel pump, water pump, and fan belt you can recover from most minor issues. What is encouraging is that I have checked and all parts are available to do a complete rebuild on my 348. I heard you can even put a 409 crank in it and make it a stroker? Although some guys are scouting and scarfing the good 409 heads and I hear they don't come cheap these days.

My Chevelle came with a 350. I immediately yanked it and put in a 396. Looking back, I probably should have went 454.

Still, with the price of gas, that 350 in the garage is sounding more and more tempting.....of course with a stroker crank to make it a 383, and some nice heads for breathing.

V-6's have been the industry darling for a lot of years now and for some of the same reasons 350's became popular. I have even seen a couple V-6's in street rods. It bothered me at first, as it defeats the definition of street rod ...as do the stock cars that come through the gates at the Nats. So for that reason, I'd still rather see a 350 than a V-6 ...and what's worse is an asian V-6 ......yuch.

Remember too, that there's two types of rodders, the guys that build them, and the guys that buy them...and couldn't build them. The later just don't get it and maybe don't care.

Steve
Old 08-02-2006, 08:02 AM

Last photo:

Why I love the Small Block Chevy

Guys

I am a lot older than a most of you in this hobby we call hot rods , I have seen and heard every thing good and bad in this hobby . The Small Block Chevy is not one of the bad . Until it came along there were not very many motor swaps , guys with money could install a Cad or Old's or Buick motor , but when the Chevy motor came out and they made so many and they were plentiful and they were the latest and fastest , we all could afford one .

I my self have a 40 Ford that I have had sense 1968 it's had the Flat Head Ford it came with a Buick Nail Head , a 327Chevy and now it has 383 Stroker, I thought about changing it back to Ford last winter when I changed motors , but why change just so guys would stop asking me why a Chevy in my 40 Ford. If it ain't broke don't fix it , I think that say's it in a nut shell .

The Chevy Small Block has prov'en over it's history that is truly a great motor in any thing with or out wheels . So if you guys don't want to look a Chevy Small Block motor in any Ford Hot Rod , Knock your self out I sure will not lose any sleep over it as will any other Ford owner . I don't think we gain any thing by being critical over what anyone in this hobby does or doesn't do to his Hot Rod .
FAT40
Old 08-02-2006, 08:24 AM

Last wiki edit: Mopar tapered axle rear brake conversion
Last journal entry: What I'm doing now...
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 49

Quote:
Originally Posted by fat40
Guys........The Chevy Small Block has prov'en over it's history that is truly a great motor in any thing with or out wheels . ....... FAT40
I have no argument with anything you said. HOWEVER, the SBC isn't the only "great motor that can go into anything on wheels." You're forgetting the Ford small block, Chrysler small block, a variety of big blocks and the occational hemi. Although the SBC does have a lock on being the cheapest engine to build it also has a firm hold on being the most boring. With the choices available throughout the years the ONLY reason people put the SBC in street rods is either because they're die hard Chevy guys or they have no imagination. Reliability is NOT a factor in that choice.

The previous paragraph is of course the opinion of someone who would almost rather see a rat in a squirrel cage than a SBC under the hood.
Old 08-02-2006, 09:04 AM

Last photo:

Why I love the Small Block Chevy

Centerline

I did not say or imply that there are not other great motor from other manufactures , I thought we we talking about the Chevy Small Block and why so many are used in Hot Rods old or new Builds . You are certainly entitled to your opinion on whether anyone who installs a Chevy Small Block is a die hard Chevy fan or with or with no imagination , but that's just what it is your opinion .

Fat40
Old 08-02-2006, 09:55 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by fat40
..... but that's just what it is your opinion .

Fat40
Yep. Don't get me wrong I've rebuilt my share of small block Chevys over the years and they're great little motors. The only thing that really bugs me is that it seems now days that most people don't even consider something different when building a street rod anymore. It's like "I want the coolest car in the world but I'm going to power it with the same thing everyone else has" mentality.

I completely understand why a lot of people choose the SBC but it's no longer the "only" choice as it once was. Also, the "reliability" argument just doesn't hold water anymore. But hay, if that's what flips someone's switch, good for them.
Old 08-02-2006, 10:43 AM
Crazy Ole Ironhead

Last photo:

i agree that there is just wayyyy to many SBC's out there but..like has been said..its the aftermaket part availability for them that started all that..now there's just as much aftermarket parts for many others..
i like ALL types of engines & rods..when someone has a SBC because thats his preference...i have NO problem with it at all..im just the kind of person beleives in keeping a thourobred a thourobred..not mix matching engines in different types of vehicles..just MY preferences..as in some others preferences to do the opposite
SBC's are easy to work on..ive owned several of them as i have several other fords..pontiacs & a few mopars..but by far the SBC to me IS the EASIEST to work on but..that doesnt mean its the BEST by far

for instance..my freind has a 67 fairlane..he done the car from ground up..put a 383 SBC stroker in it..went to many shows & in my opinion he should of won alot more trophies than he did because his car is CLEAN in every aspect & lost to cars i seen alot worse off than his
now he has it all tore down again..bought a rolled over 2000 GT mustang..using the whole drivetrain including the 4.6 wiring harness..FI system...AC & even the gauges in the dash..i cant wait untill its done..it'll be his show car but it will be an awesome daily driver & im bettin he'll get ALOT more attention to it this time along with trophies

my son has a 69 el camino needs all done..he WAS going to just rebuild the SBC 350 goodwrench engine that is in it already..but after a little talking to him & him seeing at the shows that is mostly the same thing in those old caminos..he decided to keep an eye out for a donor car or truck with a newer 5.7 FI setup & use the whole drivetrain setup..i know its still just another small blockchevy but at least its not just the average SBC 4 barrel setup you see alot

so what it all boils down to really is just the overwhelming population of all the basicly same ole SBC setups in alot of vehicles..thats what makes it boring for the chevy guys or others who are the judging or just looking..make it a little different but keep it throurobred in my opinion
Old 08-02-2006, 12:07 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
the ONLY reason people put the SBC in street rods is either because they're die hard Chevy guys or they have no imagination.
this is where I think your off the mark. for some yes, but your generalizing an entire subset of the hobby (and many that it is not a hobby but a business). Generalization leads to stereotypes which leads to prejudice which is directly correlated to ethnocentrism (we're getting into big words here ) which is the assumption that one's own groups lifestyle, values and patterns of adaptation is superior to all others. which simply is not the case.

I'm not a die hard chevy fan, I've owned just about every brand under the sun and some that are no longer in existence (hudsons, AMC, delorean, Nash etc) and currently have more fords than chevy's. I used a SBC in my 49 cause thats what I had, had I not had any creativity I would have slapped a SBC in it and left the rest alone.....yet do you see much stock material in my truck? fact is there isnt a panel or peice that hasnt been modified using my own creativity and vision as to what I think it should look like....
Attached Images

Old 08-02-2006, 02:02 PM

Last journal entry: big block installed
Last photo:

I myself am more interested in technology in the engine department, so as soon as my 454 in the 34 pontiac is sold I will be installing one of the following:

1. nissan VH45DE
2. toyota 1UZFE
3. New GM 4.2 liter inline 6
4. 4.6 liter Northstar

Listed in order of preference. I never considered the sbc as a choice for this car because it would have been no fun to build another one, time to move on to something more interesting. I want a head from the factory that flows.

Last edited by mobythevan; 08-02-2006 at 02:28 PM.
Old 08-02-2006, 04:09 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kallie49
...... Generalization leads to stereotypes which leads to prejudice which is directly correlated to ethnocentrism (we're getting into big words here ) which is the assumption that one's own groups lifestyle, values and patterns of adaptation is superior to all others. which simply is not the case.
Sorry but I've never been into Psychodrivel and I don't buy your assertions one bit. Also, I strongly resent the fact that you're insinuating that I am a bigot. I categorize people by a lot of things but race and color have never been in the equation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kallie49
...... I'm not a die hard chevy fan, I've owned just about every brand under the sun and some that are no longer in existence (hudsons, AMC, delorean, Nash etc) and currently have more fords than chevy's. I used a SBC in my 49 cause thats what I had, had I not had any creativity I would have slapped a SBC in it and left the rest alone.....yet do you see much stock material in my truck? fact is there isnt a panel or peice that hasnt been modified using my own creativity and vision as to what I think it should look like....
Your truck shows a lot of creativity and excellent workmanship everywhere except under the hood. You could have had one of these and matched the creativity on the outside with a little on the inside if you had just wanted to take the time to do it. However you wanted a SBC and that's what sits between your frame rails.

The above picture of course is certainly not the only way to go but when someone puts a SBC in a street rod just because it's easy or "that's what everyone else is doing", it shows NO imagination in my book.

On another note, over the next three days I'll be attending the NSRA Nationals and of the 10,000-12,000 street rods there probably 80% (mostly Fords) will be powered by a SBC. This alone is a perfect example that shows most people are natural born followers, not leaders.
Old 08-02-2006, 04:48 PM

sbc's

well the way i see it if you don't like something, DON'T LOOK AT IT!!!!! if it bothers you that much let go, move on to somthing else.there are other people who,enjoy sbc's,so leave them alone. i am one of those people who enjoy them.i am in the process of building A 55 CHEVY 2 DR HT one w/ about 300hp and i will be very well satisfied. by the way my sbc will have something not to many people do to them TRI POWER.

Last edited by rmpe739; 08-02-2006 at 04:54 PM.
Old 08-02-2006, 05:00 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmpe739
well the way i see it if you don't like something, DON'T LOOK AT IT!!!!! if it bothers you that much let go, move on to somthing else.there are other people who,enjoy sbc's,so leave them alone. i am one of those people who enjoy them.i am in the process of building A 55 CHEVY 2 DR HT one w/ about 300hp and i will be very well satisfied. by the way my sbc will have something not to many people do to them TRI POWER.
You need to read the original article that started this thread.
Old 08-02-2006, 05:29 PM
Where's my Sawzall?

Last wiki edit: Window removal and installation
Last journal entry: More progress...
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 2

Stirring the pot... (hee-hee!)

Sooo...... tell me again Bill whatcha think of me building the sledd, a perfect example of NOT using a Chevy motor... and give it to me straight, I can take it...

Doc
Old 08-02-2006, 09:48 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Sorry but I've never been into Psychodrivel and I don't buy your assertions one bit. Also, I strongly resent the fact that you're insinuating that I am a bigot. I categorize people by a lot of things but race and color have never been in the equation.
Ah but thats where your wrong, its not psychodrivel its common anthropology which is the study of societies/cultures and and subsets therein (wouldnt you consider the rodding sect to be a culture....yes?) There was no mention of race, religion or color or any mention of bigotry; well other than your statements that is. Fact is you can be prejudice about many different things that have nothing to do with Race/color etc, this wasnt a race/color discussion; yet a SBC discussion. So go back to google and relook up what I referenced for your own knowledge ....empower yourself

Quote:
You could have had one of these and matched the creativity on the outside with a little on the inside if you had just wanted to take the time to do it. However you wanted a SBC and that's what sits between your frame rails.
you supply me with one of those and I'll gladly slap er on in there, till then I work within my means, meaning I dont got a hemi, but I had a SBC sitting under the bench and a budget (with an understanding wife I dont want to take too much advantage of) thats dealing with three projects....one of these days when these three keepers are done and I get bored you can bet a different mill will go in....till then I'll keep my hood shut.

Last edited by Kallie49; 08-02-2006 at 09:55 PM.

Recent Hotrodders' Lounge posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.