Hot Rod Forum banner

Why I have grown to hate the Small Block Chevy..... an essay

55K views 316 replies 128 participants last post by  Canzus 
#1 · (Edited)
When reading this essay please don't get the idea that I'm bashing one of hot rodding's legendary power plants. I'm not. The small block Chevy is one of the most popular V8 engines ever built. It is reliable and has almost unlimited potential. Then why, you ask, do I hate this engine? The answer is very simple; there are just too damn many of them.

To be clear, the focus of this essay is on Street Rodding. That category which is generally considered to comprise pre 1949 vehicles. These cars and trucks are generally where engine swaps are most common and the builder has almost total control over the choices he makes. When talking about muscle cars or street machines the assertions of this essay won't always apply and that should be kept in mind when reading this paper. I am not condoning swapping out a 350 in a Nova for a Buick Nailhead. Although different, that swap wouldn't make much sense. However when it comes to Street Rods, the SBC has become not much more than a mundane "also ran."

I don't blame Chevrolet for this at all. I blame the people who are building street rods and the way they perpetuate the use of this engine as the solution to all problems and quite simply the "only" way to go. The popular claim that, "It's reliable and cheap to build," just doesn't hold water. Yes it is reliable, however it is NOT the only small V8 out there, and it is no more reliable (and only marginally less expensive to build) than any number of other domestic V8s. A good choice yes, the only choice?.. not by a long shot.

Let me ask you a question? When you go to a car show don't you get tired of seeing the same power plant in almost every street rod you walk by? I sure do. To me there is nothing more boring than another "cookie cutter" street rod powered by a small block Chevy. I have to ask what is wrong with the builders of these cars. Are they so unimaginative that they just have to use what everyone else does? Where is their originality, creativity, and individuality? These people certainly don't seem to lack these qualities when contemplating the paint scheme or the interior accoutrements so when choosing the engine for their street rod why do they "settle" for what can only be described as just another small block Chevy?

When it comes to choosing a reliable engine Ford and Chrysler along with many others have been building and selling reliable V8s for longer than I care to remember. Ford's venerable 289-302 family or Chrysler's 318-360 small blocks are just as reliable and have just as much potential as any SBC every built. So why do people flock to the SBC like moths to a flame? The answer to this question is not what most people want to here. It's because people by nature are just plain lazy.

Now that I've raised the blood pressure of every SBC owner out there let me explain what I mean. When building a street rod (and we're talking about pre-1950 vehicles here) most people for some unknown reason perceive that it is vastly easier to drop in a SBC than going through a little extra work figuring out how to get that Ford small block to clear the front cross member or spending a little time fabricating engine mounts for a Buick Nailhead. These types of problems are not insurmountable and with a little thought they can easily be overcome, but because most people are by nature lazy they take the easy way out and choose the SBC. By choosing the SBC for some reason the perception is that it's easier to do and there are fewer problems to solve. Yes, it probably does save some time and effort but it is not the only solution to the problem. The argument that the SBC is easier to install in most rods just doesn't stand the test when you think about some other V8s. The Chrysler 318 family for example also has a rear sump pan just like the SBC and this engine can be installed in any rod just as easily. This also holds true for several other domestic V8s. True a little thought and possibly a little extra work will have to go into engine mounts but the price of being an individual and a leader is almost always worth the extra effort.

OK so we have now established one reason the SBC is so popular. People by nature are lazy. Now let's look at another reason. People are, for the most part anyway, cheap. Being cheap however is a relative term. For the teenager that is building a 15 year old Camaro on a very tight budget (based on how much he earns flipping burgers after school) this means that every penny has to count and choosing the SBC is almost a necessity. However to the guy who's spending $10 to $20 grand or more on his prize street rod the slight difference in the cost of building a SBC compared to anything else is negligible. The fact that a set of pistons for the SBC costs $40 less than the same set for a Ford or Chrysler small block means nothing to this person. Then why do they "go with the flow" and choose the SBC? Because people also tend to be sheep. That's right; for the most part we are just a bunch of followers.

Anymore it seems to take a special person to break the mold and choose something different. Why else are there so few street rods with real engines like Nailheads, Flatheads, Hemis, BB Chryslers, BB Fords, Olds, Pontiac, AMC and yes even 348-409 Chevys? Because people are way to willing to follow the leader and just do what everyone else is doing. To me this is, to coin a term from the '60s, nothing more than a cop out! If all you want to be is a follower all your life then more power to you, but to the few people left who have the unique ability to think "out of the box" then the SBC is about as boring as they come.

Finally, I'm not blaming anyone for choosing to build a SBC. It is reliable, cheap to build and can deliver lots of horsepower. I've built my share of 302s, 350s and 327s too but one day I opened my eyes and realized that I no longer wanted to be a follower. I no longer wanted to blend into the woodwork and I was willing to take the time, use the brain power and expend the extra effort that it takes to be an individual. I know we are all by nature lazy and building cheap is almost always a necessity, but being a follower is really more of a choice than anything else. Do the hobby a favor and the next time you're considering building a street rod don't be afraid of being creative, or imaginative. For once be an individual and think "out of the box". Choose something other than what has become over the years a "cookie cutter" engine. Of course on the other hand if the entire reason you're building a street rod is to blend in than by all means go with the SBC. After all it is by far the best way to disappear into the crowd.

See less See more
#252 ·
AntnyL said:
Dave,

Putting a Lexus engine into a pre-war rod is certainly different and cool..........
Antny :thumbup:
I agree. Although a Lexus power plant wouldn't be my cup of tea it still is different, shows out of the box thinking and ingenuity. I'll say it again, anything other than a SBC is GOOD!

#253 · (Edited)
I read the Post itself, and didn't have time to go through the entire 17 pages of replies...so here is my 2 cents. I built my 34 three window Ford, and since it's a Ford, used FoMoCo drive train. What ELSE would you put in a Ford?! 502 big block, C-6, shortened 9". No special problems finding parts. No more expensive than SBC parts...well, not MUCH more. People at Cruises and car shows can't believe I did it. GREAT comments on it...WOW!, lot's nicer than a SBC! The engine has VERY nice Tony Branda finned aluminum rocker covers, and before I put plastic Ford Blue Oval appliques on them everybody asked me if it was a Big Block Chevy... :rolleyes:

#254 ·
Yep, I'm surprised there aren't more Ford motors in those old Fords. Come on !SBC guys. A great argument could have been ease of installation, abundance of parts,or (one that I would have brought up)less weight in comparison to larger motors allowing less centrifugal force in the corners. Of course we 700+pounders take some roll out of the suspension. That lil' Ford 302 is also an amazing product (bang for the buck) I'm surprised there aren't too many in those 30's rods. I was so impressed with the boss 302 heads, I've since bought & sold 3 prs for $. They offer the best flow charactoristics pr/cube. The catch 22 on them is that they are very thin walled & are subjected to cracks.
On that aspect, those early hemis were packed full of high nickel content & offered ample material. If they haven't been raced, they are hard to kill.
Hence.....the reason the 354 was used as marine & industrial use. For my next project I'll probably go with Allison she's ready & willin' .. that'll learn em ..... :evil: he he he

Attachments

#255 ·
Sorry I am having a hard time editing this photo to rotate it. But here's a good use for a SBC. It's a display rack in Disney's California Adventure. Very cool store, it was an old gas station with a belly tank speedster on the lift above you. :) Come on now guys, it's a joke!

Brian

#260 · (Edited)
When I came dragging my '38 Poncho home on a trailer, the first thing my big mouthed buddy said was "I know where you can get a 350 crate motor with a chromed Edelbrock carb ready to drop in and we'll put a 700R4 behind it and I'll....." It seams that there is always someone that has the correct idea of what a street rod should be and is more than ready to tell you how you should build yours. The fact is that I was always a Chevy man. I had a screamin 396 Chevelle but I was always partial to small blocks, especially the 327. But like Centerline I too have grown bored with them in so many rods.

My Dad was a Pontiac man, so when I saw this old car under a shed in Illinois I just had to have it. So I am taking this opportunity to build my first Pontiac motor for this Pontiac car. It just seems fitting. And I've learned so much.

This motor is a '60 vintage 389 and I have a '60 SD Tri-power intake with correct dichromated Rochester trips, and correct linkage and fuel lines thanks to Mike Wasson of Pontiac Tri-power.com. The headers are period correct Long Branch reproduced by R.A.R.E. and chrome ceramic coated inside and out. Some vintage era finned aluminum valve covers from Mooneyes and matching air cleaners from Vintage Speed and hopefully it will represent what my Dad or I might have built in the early 60's.

There may be more work what with the frame mods and home made motor mounts and I know more money in this over a SBC. But when I finally get finished there probably won't be a whole lot of em exactly like it.

Just my two cents FWIW.

#261 ·

HOORAY for guy willing to take on the challenge of making an ALL Pontiac streetrod! HOORAY!!!

Building a streetrod isn't supposed to be "easy", if you wanted something easy you would go buy a new car and custom paint it. No, building a streetrod should be a challenge, and a "creation" based on the builders ideals of a streetrod. If this includes a SBC, then fine, that is cool too. But to go outside the streetrod catalog box and make things and create parts that didn't exist yesterday to make something else work, that is fulfilling to me personally.

The ALL Pontiac, All Ford, ALL Dodge and yes even ALL Chevy (with an inline six is the only way it really works for me) are COOL. I am drawn to them every-time I see these types of cars.

Good for you!

Brian

#263 ·
Well. I am definitely a Chevy guy. No offense to anyone intended. Its just what I know and grew up with. When I started building my 36....my head was in a tailspin trying to decide what to put in her. I knew straight off.....I didnt want to just drop in another SBC. So I'm being told I've done just as bad by going with the LS. After researching and asking a multitude of questions....I felt like the aluminum block, port design, overall engineering behind engine, and the myriad of aftermarket stuff was....well...just appealing. Even concidering dropping a Machine Tech 8-71 blower on her and ditching the injection. I love aluminum.

The flip side.....if I hadnt gone with the LS...I wouldve definitely gone with a 3.8 Grand Nat or 4.1 (or was that 4.3?) Syclone drivetrain. Really wish I had now. Couldve used the room.

I guess....sort of....I'm siding with everyone on this topic. A Hemi wouldve been nice if my pockets were deeper. :)

And yes....if I owned a Ford product....I'd go with a GT series combo. Thats the plan for dads 41 Coupe.

Guys....I really like em all!!

Dave

#264 ·
$$$$$$

My cost on a master engine kit for a 350 chevy is $189.00 this has pistons gaskets rings cam rod and main bearings timing chain and gear set cam and lifters oil pump expantion and galley plugs and a tube of gasket sealer this same kit for a small block mo par is $800.00 it's not a lazy issue it's $$$$$$$

#265 ·
ktorr22 said:
My cost on a master engine kit for a 350 chevy is $189.00 this has pistons gaskets rings cam rod and main bearings timing chain and gear set cam and lifters oil pump expantion and galley plugs and a tube of gasket sealer this same kit for a small block mo par is $800.00 it's not a lazy issue it's $$$$$$$
To some people, that just makes it evil...............To me, it just makes you smart....... :rolleyes:

#270 ·
Hey Centerline,
My old man built this for his Willys project:

I know it will run and it is done more period rather than flashy billet chromed gold chainer type smallblock but we have one of these motors just sitting around:

I tried and tried but he wanted that smallblock.....well at least the 426 is still available for something else in the future...a 426 Max wedge Willys would have been so much cooler...... :D

#272 ·
BEST DAMM GARAGE IN TOWN ]When smokey went to Indy. these were the days of run what you brung , he scared the s@@t out of the sanctionig body,small block turbocharged chevy with twin holley carbs carbs built by Ralph Johnson at smokeys shop.
Smokey and Ralph took 2 motors up there,first motor put out over 800 h.p. on a heenan froude dyno, second motor put out bout 750, second motor was race motor, now all this out of 209 c.i.d. Im not downplaying other eng. manufacturers but a lot of them copied the quench chamber chevy used.
This engine will live as a classic production run started 1955 ended with s.b.2 thats a lot of years.[/QUOTE]

#273 ·
Yep, Smokey was something else. I called him once about a Buick motor he had for sale in Hemmings motor news and talked to him for about an hour! NO KIDDING! He was a very interesting guy. And you know the funny thing, he could have done what he did with just about ANY motor, he was THAT GOOD. And the biggest reason he did so with the Chevy.........they paid him to!

Brian

#274 ·
MARTINSR said:
Yep, Smokey was something else. I called him once about a Buick motor he had for sale in Hemmings motor news and talked to him for about an hour! NO KIDDING! He was a very interesting guy. And you know the funny thing, he could have done what he did with just about ANY motor, he was THAT GOOD. And the biggest reason he did so with the Chevy.........they paid him to!

Brian
I know this is an old post ..........
Chevy never paid Smokey for building Indy cars or Indy engines....I know....I worked there.
Smokey would tell anybody to stick it in a heartbeat!
He used what he thought was best!

#275 ·
The 350: The only small block to offer great modern heads cheap: The Mopar Magnum heads all crack, and don't flow as well as Vortecs either stock vs stock or ported vs ported. Same flow problem for the Ford GT40 heads, plus they're very very rare. Scoring the desirable 906 or 062 Vortecs for $40 per pair on Pick-N-Pull's half price day is a no-brainer. And with them, grab any '87-up 3650 for the mimimal bore wear thanks to EFI, and the cast-in provisions for roller lifters, plus the 1-piece rear main seal and the pickup truck oil pan fits nearly everything. You can usually just do a hone job yourself, reuse the rings and bearings, and assemble it with new gaskets. FelPro offering their rubber-coated steel-shim head gaskets so cheap makes it so easy to get the quench right.
Now, top it with a QuadraJet and a '75-'79 HEI, gear it for 1650 RPM at 60 MPH, and hello 28 MPG in a slippery car like my '84 Trans Am. Or toss the stock cam, order this cam: ( http://www.lunatipower.com/Product.aspx?id=2007&gid=281 ) and have 400 HP with no machine work. There goes your 28 MPG, however. Better to get your power with a Chinese turbo, so you can have over 400 HP with 28 MPG. No need for forged pistons, either. Just keep it from ever having any detonation, and the stock parts will survive 500 HP. Can't have this with any other engine, let alone this cheap or this easy, let alone both this cheap and this easy.
So what if it's a me-too engine. Novelty means nothing next to what I just typed.

#276 ·
whyholdback said:
The 350: The only small block to offer great modern heads cheap: The Mopar Magnum heads all crack, and don't flow as well as Vortecs either stock vs stock or ported vs ported. Same flow problem for the Ford GT40 heads, plus they're very very rare. Scoring the desirable 906 or 062 Vortecs for $40 per pair on Pick-N-Pull's half price day is a no-brainer. And with them, grab any '87-up 3650 for the mimimal bore wear thanks to EFI, and the cast-in provisions for roller lifters, plus the 1-piece rear main seal and the pickup truck oil pan fits nearly everything. You can usually just do a hone job yourself, reuse the rings and bearings, and assemble it with new gaskets. FelPro offering their rubber-coated steel-shim head gaskets so cheap makes it so easy to get the quench right.
Now, top it with a QuadraJet and a '75-'79 HEI, gear it for 1650 RPM at 60 MPH, and hello 28 MPG in a slippery car like my '84 Trans Am. Or toss the stock cam, order this cam: ( http://www.lunatipower.com/Product.aspx?id=2007&gid=281 ) and have 400 HP with no machine work. There goes your 28 MPG, however. Better to get your power with a Chinese turbo, so you can have over 400 HP with 28 MPG. No need for forged pistons, either. Just keep it from ever having any detonation, and the stock parts will survive 500 HP. Can't have this with any other engine, let alone this cheap or this easy, let alone both this cheap and this easy.
So what if it's a me-too engine. Novelty means nothing next to what I just typed.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y6ecS8uf7k0&feature=related

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.