this is why I stopped using kitty hair - Page 2 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-21-2014, 07:36 AM
SPI Thug

Last journal entry: some progress
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

polyester is polyester . it does not matter what filler you use in it . as bryan said it is all just marketing hype. kitty hair , all metal are all the same. use to be sold with a piece of screen to put over the hole .

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-21-2014, 06:56 PM
Believe in yourself !!!!!!

Last journal entry: 41 WILLYS FRAME
Last photo:

Where people fail is when they use it as a body maker,, It's body filler..
Old 03-21-2014, 07:12 PM

Last wiki edit: Stripping paint Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by shine View Post
polyester is polyester . it does not matter what filler you use in it . as bryan said it is all just marketing hype. kitty hair , all metal are all the same. use to be sold with a piece of screen to put over the hole .
What about polyester finishing putty (ezsand and metalglaze) that's a completely different product..
what the heck is polyester anyways.
Old 03-21-2014, 07:35 PM
put up or shut up

Last journal entry: saying goodbye to the beast
Last photo:

but in a can and it dances on your spreader
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	images.jpg
Views:	234
Size:	7.6 KB
ID:	129954  
Old 03-21-2014, 07:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NEW INTERIORS View Post
A wicked filler for filling anything over a 1/2" ,it don't shrink as much as bondo ....I've seen it used almost 2 inches thick...and bondo about an inch ,Both pop right of with a stiff putty knife and a hammer, even when the paint is ground off and down to the metal,I've also seen bondo an inch thich over paint (unsanded), unfortunately (for me)I just finished the door and was all done when I slammed the door a little to hard and a big az chunk fell off the 1/4 (had to fix it for free).I saved that piece because it looked like the shape of texas (about a sq ft) I had the same thing happen on a Porshe and saved that one too ,it looked like Florida. they're hanging in the office...
You can tell when the previous guy wanted to do a better "stuff it" job because when you pop off the thick filler its green on the bottom 3/4s an of an inch or more and the bondo is only a 1/4- 1/2".....
I've done it myself when I was a teen, starting out and the guy that taught me then showed me this is how to do it....
Man, the crap I was taught and myths I was told took a long time to realize were wrong.
I did get pretty good at sanding though...I learned the hard way.
Old 03-21-2014, 08:28 PM
Believe in yourself !!!!!!

Last journal entry: 41 WILLYS FRAME
Last photo:

I have used it on this truck when we built it in 1995,, And I have to say this.. It look's like the day we took it out the paint booth.. But we didn't use it as a body re-placement..
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	100_38321.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	40.7 KB
ID:	129994  
Old 03-21-2014, 08:36 PM
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser

Last photo:

Thanked 1,076 Times in 959 Posts
There is nothing at all wrong with these reinforced fillers, not at all. They are simply not a Holy Grail Magic bullet product that the marketing dept would like you to believe.

Brian
The Following User Says Thank You to MARTINSR For This Useful Post:
NEW INTERIORS (03-21-2014)
Old 03-21-2014, 08:39 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by deadbodyman View Post
A wicked filler for filling anything over a 1/2" ,it don't shrink as much as bondo ....I've seen it used almost 2 inches thick...and bondo about an inch ,Both pop right of with a stiff putty knife and a hammer, even when the paint is ground off and down to the metal,I've also seen bondo an inch thich over paint (unsanded), unfortunately (for me)I just finished the door and was all done when I slammed the door a little to hard and a big az chunk fell off the 1/4 (had to fix it for free).I saved that piece because it looked like the shape of texas (about a sq ft) I had the same thing happen on a Porshe and saved that one too ,it looked like Florida. they're hanging in the office...
You can tell when the previous guy wanted to do a better "stuff it" job because when you pop off the thick filler its green on the bottom 3/4s an of an inch or more and the bondo is only a 1/4- 1/2".....
I've done it myself when I was a teen, starting out and the guy that taught me then showed me this is how to do it....
Man, the crap I was taught and myths I was told took a long time to realize were wrong.
I did get pretty good at sanding though...I learned the hard way.

When I chopped the top on my truck at 16 I warped the roof panel all to hell. I put two gallons of filler on it before I even touched it with sand paper! Years later with 24" C clamp vice grip I used it to measure the thickness......1 1/2". LOL It was there when I sold the cab 20 years later but it had funny cracks all over it.

Brian
Old 03-21-2014, 08:40 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by deadbodyman View Post
What about polyester finishing putty (ezsand and metalglaze) that's a completely different product..
what the heck is polyester anyways.
"Fiberglass" is polyester. It's basically fiberglass resin with fillers in it. The polyester putties are finer ground talc that allows it to spread nicer.

Brian
Old 03-21-2014, 09:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MARTINSR View Post
"Fiberglass" is polyester. It's basically fiberglass resin with fillers in it. The polyester putties are finer ground talc that allows it to spread nicer.

Brian
I remember when they first came out (metal glaze I think) said self etching. The guy that owned the shop said : That means you don't have to sand the paint to fill a ding...I knew better but only said Really??? After he painted it and all the sand scratches swelled every where he put it, I asked him what caused THAT ,he said it was just the primer shrinking and it'll buff out...in a month that's what he told the customer too..I was new to Ga. and needed a place to do a car at the time so I never tried to correct him (I could tell he knew it all already anyway) I left (ran) when my car was done and a year later he was closed.. He was at that shop for 20 yrs...go figure.
Old 03-21-2014, 09:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NEW INTERIORS View Post
And a body KILLER if your standing anywhere near one that gets in an accident ,the shrapnels like a grenade...
Old 03-21-2014, 09:43 PM

Last photo:

polyester is a type of resin.
"fiberglass" is a glass product that has been made into fibers
"fiberglass" may be laid up with polyester resin, vinylester resin, or epoxy resin and probably other materials as well.

the original bondo was polyester resin and powdered talc as a thickener.

Today when a product is called one thing, you never know if that is the true product or just a sales name. MSDS are good for getting to the just of things.

Bondo is a polyester as are many finishing glazes. The poly glazes are a great advancement from the days of lacquer based putties.

Filers now come with all kinds of fillers, glass fibers, Kevlar fibers, powdered aluminum, cow dung, and who knows what else.

An example is ALL Metal, as it is not all metal , the metal part is but a small %. It is ALL Metal as it can be applied to all metals. Don't you just love marketing?

As with most things in life, all things in moderation. But many times it seems to be if a little is good a lot is better and you can't have to much better!

Nothing beats good metal work and a skim coat of filler, or if you are really good ,great metal work then epoxy prmer.
Old 03-22-2014, 11:55 AM
SPI Thug

Last journal entry: some progress
Last photo:

polyester is at the bottom of the scale of resins . epoxy is at the top .

Recent Body - Exterior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.