Hot Rod Forum banner

Why I think Pro Comps roller rockers suck

19K views 25 replies 17 participants last post by  stepside454 
#1 · (Edited)
My Experience is with the Full roller aluminum rocker arms from Procomp

1. They don't come clearanced for the valve cover bolts on a BBC

2. The slots are not wide enough

3. With the supplied locking nuts they will bind at anything over .600 lift

4. After running them for less than 200 miles I found that the roller tips were chewing into the body of the rocker and there is nothing to keep them from doing so.

Like many people, I was running short on cash when It came to rockers I wanted to go with a roller rocker and came across ones like this...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/_Car...arms=39:1|65:1|240:1318&_trksid=p4506.c0.m245

I did not purchase these particular ones but ones just like them. AND they claim they are the best quality on the net.

Don't get suckered out of your 105 bucks plus shipping.

Disclaimer: This is not a statement against the folks at J&C cylinder head exchange I have purchased heads from them before and it was a good experience. I just used their ad on ebay as an example.

I will submit some pictures soon but please direct anyone inquiring about these rockers to this thread.

Attachments

See less See more
#9 ·
I have no experience with those rockers but have seen them, new, and not so new after failure. Saw some off a guys BBC powered Firebird that were JUNK after 400 miles. They came apart - all of those little pieces of crap distributed throughout a nice new motor. No way did they 'save' a nickle. When it comes to valvetrain parts there is no reason to skimp, as has been shown by the failure of those cheap parts - time and time again. I feel for you, but you get what you pay for. Even the best parts fail, and that's just part of roddin' and racin'. Never expect a cheap product to stand up to the demands of performance. Some good ones I've used are, Crane Gold, Howards, Harlan Sharp, Miller, Scorpion. The nicest Pro Magnum Roller Rocker Arms™

:spank:

#12 ·
Listen...I know that "you get what you pay for" and it has been stated several times.

I knew these were not the optimum choice and for a hundred and fifty bucks I tried them...they are junk. It is not like I was thinking that I was going to get the best quality for the cheapest price.

The thing is that these didn't even come close. They could have sent me some pieces of scrap iron and it would have been better. It is like they didn't even make an attempt.

Everybody says they are junk and I agreed and I just wanted to give the reasons why because nobody else ever does.

#13 ·
Indeed. But I didn`t post that out of trying to tell you so or rub it in. Since so many read this forum, members and non members alike it was posted in hopes to reach them as well before they get taken by a inferior product. Anyone can spend money on junk and realize the few dollars more they could have paid for a quality brand was worth it in the end in terms of time and money. I always been weary of roller rockers, when one gives up and fills the engine with needles and other trash the engine is history and the bill just got a lot bigger.

#14 ·
What he said.

Plus, no matter how many times you try to tell folks not to do something, they do it anyway, with similar results. I'm too paranoid to try some products. Just because they look OK doesn't mean a thing. I'd rather make my own than buy some of what's out there. Same goes for heads, cranks, manifolds, rods, fasteners etc etc etc. Lot of times the material properties just aren't up to snuff, in your case it looks like fitment issues on a couple fronts.

Now, how about some of those anodized pistons? Who hard anodizes pistons?

#16 ·
Stroke said:
What he said.

Plus, no matter how many times you try to tell folks not to do something, they do it anyway, with similar results. I'm too paranoid to try some products. Just because they look OK doesn't mean a thing. I'd rather make my own than buy some of what's out there. Same goes for heads, cranks, manifolds, rods, fasteners etc etc etc. Lot of times the material properties just aren't up to snuff, in your case it looks like fitment issues on a couple fronts.

Now, how about some of those anodized pistons? Who hard anodizes pistons?
Dude, everyone knows that blue anodized pistons give you a blue flame, which adds like 20 horsepower. :mwink:

#20 ·
Double_v23 said:
My Experience is with the Full roller aluminum rocker arms from Procomp

1. They don't come clearanced for the valve cover bolts on a BBC

2. The slots are not wide enough

3. With the supplied locking nuts they will bind at anything over .600 lift

4. After running them for less than 200 miles I found that the roller tips were chewing into the body of the rocker and there is nothing to keep them from doing so.

Like many people, I was running short on cash when It came to rockers I wanted to go with a roller rocker and came across ones like this...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/_Car...arms=39:1|65:1|240:1318&_trksid=p4506.c0.m245

I did not purchase these particular ones but ones just like them. AND they claim they are the best quality on the net.

Don't get suckered out of your 105 bucks plus shipping.

Disclaimer: This is not a statement against the folks at J&C cylinder head exchange I have purchased heads from them before and it was a good experience. I just used their ad on ebay as an example.

I will submit some pictures soon but please direct anyone inquiring about these rockers to this thread.
As crappy as their cylinder heads are, and have been talked about on here so much, why would you think anything else they made would be any different.....You can't make chicken salad out of chicken s#@t!

#21 ·
Man o Man you cheby guys are lucky, I wish I could just get one good pro Hemi aluminum roller rocker arm, intake or exhaust, for 150.00. :D

Some guys get 16 and can't seem to figure out why and will spend lots of time bashing the low ball selling company....... :confused:

As stated and in addition to above, maybe looking into a mirror could reveal REAL the problem... :thumbup: :D

#22 ·
OHD said:
Man o Man you cheby guys are lucky, I wish I could just get one good pro Hemi aluminum roller rocker arm, intake or exhaust, for 150.00. :D

Some guys get 16 and can't seem to figure out why and will spend lots of time bashing the low ball selling company....... :confused:

As stated and in addition to above, maybe looking into a mirror could reveal REAL the problem... :thumbup: :D
You maybe need to lay down for your afternoon nap. :thumbup:

#23 ·
OHD said:

Well, just seeing Double v23's posts and replies to other peoples questions for quite a while now, it just really surprised me to see that he had fallen for the ol' hunnert dollar rocker arm trick.....im sure we all take chances on things sometimes thinking it wont happen to us! :spank:

#24 ·
CNC-Dude said:
Well, just seeing Double v23's posts and replies to other peoples questions for quite a while now, it just really surprised me to see that he had fallen for the ol' hunnert dollar rocker arm trick.....im sure we all take chances on things sometimes thinking it wont happen to us! :spank:
Yup, I tried to go cheap last engine build, with a cheapo 65 dollar distributor hold down clamp, :nono: it would not hold an offset mag drive and I had to go to the ole reliable RCD 128 dollar titanium hold down clamp. :thumbup:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.