Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board

Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/)
-   Engine (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/engine/)
-   -   Why I think Pro Comps roller rockers suck (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/why-i-think-pro-comps-roller-rockers-suck-144839.html)

Double_v23 09-08-2008 08:53 PM

Why I think Pro Comps roller rockers suck

3 Attachment(s)
My Experience is with the Full roller aluminum rocker arms from Procomp

1. They don't come clearanced for the valve cover bolts on a BBC

2. The slots are not wide enough

3. With the supplied locking nuts they will bind at anything over .600 lift

4. After running them for less than 200 miles I found that the roller tips were chewing into the body of the rocker and there is nothing to keep them from doing so.

Like many people, I was running short on cash when It came to rockers I wanted to go with a roller rocker and came across ones like this...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/_Car-...=p4506.c0.m245

I did not purchase these particular ones but ones just like them. AND they claim they are the best quality on the net.

Don't get suckered out of your 105 bucks plus shipping.

Disclaimer: This is not a statement against the folks at J&C cylinder head exchange I have purchased heads from them before and it was a good experience. I just used their ad on ebay as an example.

I will submit some pictures soon but please direct anyone inquiring about these rockers to this thread.

Regal Beagle 09-08-2008 09:07 PM

I sympathize with your situation but their "Disclaimer" pretty much covers their *ss. Like anything else in this world. If its cheap compared to the quality brands we usually trust then there is a good chance its crap.
Better luck next time.

Double_v23 09-09-2008 01:23 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Yeah that mistake won't be had with any of their stuff any more. That was the first pro comp purchase I have made and it will definately be the last.

Here are the replacements (Howards Racing Cams Billet Roller Rockers 239.00) and they appear to be quite a bit better.

Regal Beagle 09-09-2008 01:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Double_v23
Yeah that mistake won't be had with any of their stuff any more. That was the first pro comp purchase I have made and it will definately be the last.

Here are the replacements and they appear to be quite a bit better.

I think you will be quite happy with your newest purchase.
Best of luck.

Beagle

BBCMudbogger 09-09-2008 01:40 PM

go ahead and get yourself a set of comp pro-magnums....... probably the only set you'll ever have to buy

68NovaSS 09-09-2008 02:01 PM

The Howard's pieces are quality. I think Bogger is referring to CompCams pro-magnums, which I use on my blower motor, I echo his words, they've held up well.

general Z 09-09-2008 04:36 PM

I run Howards cams billet aluminum roller rockers # 90072, and they seem to be very good quality rockers. They also have a lifetime gaurantee.Pretty to look at to almost a shame to cover them up..

Double_v23 09-09-2008 05:46 PM

Yeah I was thinking the same thing about the Howards pieces. They are very nice. Someone should come up with a quick release fastener for the valvecovers so I can show them off.

Stroke 09-10-2008 08:18 PM

I have no experience with those rockers but have seen them, new, and not so new after failure. Saw some off a guys BBC powered Firebird that were JUNK after 400 miles. They came apart - all of those little pieces of crap distributed throughout a nice new motor. No way did they 'save' a nickle. When it comes to valvetrain parts there is no reason to skimp, as has been shown by the failure of those cheap parts - time and time again. I feel for you, but you get what you pay for. Even the best parts fail, and that's just part of roddin' and racin'. Never expect a cheap product to stand up to the demands of performance. Some good ones I've used are, Crane Gold, Howards, Harlan Sharp, Miller, Scorpion. The nicest Pro Magnum Roller Rocker Arms™

:spank:

Mike H 09-10-2008 09:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Double_v23
Yeah I was thinking the same thing about the Howards pieces. They are very nice. Someone should come up with a quick release fastener for the valvecovers so I can show them off.

Moroso sells quick release VC hold downs and they actualy don't do a bad job.

DoubleVision 09-10-2008 09:46 PM

You get what you pay for.

Double_v23 09-12-2008 11:16 PM

Listen...I know that "you get what you pay for" and it has been stated several times.

I knew these were not the optimum choice and for a hundred and fifty bucks I tried them...they are junk. It is not like I was thinking that I was going to get the best quality for the cheapest price.

The thing is that these didn't even come close. They could have sent me some pieces of scrap iron and it would have been better. It is like they didn't even make an attempt.

Everybody says they are junk and I agreed and I just wanted to give the reasons why because nobody else ever does.

DoubleVision 09-13-2008 05:21 AM

Indeed. But I didn`t post that out of trying to tell you so or rub it in. Since so many read this forum, members and non members alike it was posted in hopes to reach them as well before they get taken by a inferior product. Anyone can spend money on junk and realize the few dollars more they could have paid for a quality brand was worth it in the end in terms of time and money. I always been weary of roller rockers, when one gives up and fills the engine with needles and other trash the engine is history and the bill just got a lot bigger.

Stroke 09-13-2008 01:34 PM

What he said.

Plus, no matter how many times you try to tell folks not to do something, they do it anyway, with similar results. I'm too paranoid to try some products. Just because they look OK doesn't mean a thing. I'd rather make my own than buy some of what's out there. Same goes for heads, cranks, manifolds, rods, fasteners etc etc etc. Lot of times the material properties just aren't up to snuff, in your case it looks like fitment issues on a couple fronts.

Now, how about some of those anodized pistons? Who hard anodizes pistons?

ImRoyaltyInMyChevy 10-06-2008 11:56 PM

yea you definitely need to avoid procomp, always buy products with good reputations (in america).
My friend got a set of procomp rockers, AND ONE DIDN'T HAVE THE OIL HOLE DRILLED THROUGH IT!