Why not a 350 sbc? - Page 2 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-24-2005, 06:19 AM
ex biker, now hotrodder

Wiki Edits: 0

why dont people put the same brand engine in there cars as there car, ford engine, ford car, you get my point
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-24-2005, 06:39 AM

Same make engine as the car.......why not??

Well, back in the 40s,50s, and 60s, there were plenty of Studebaker, Oldsmobile, Buick, Pontiac, Cadillac, Chrysler, DeSoto, Dodge, and Plymouth, Rambler (AMC to the youngsters), Packard engines around for everyone to use. There was a fair selection of speed parts available for these engines, lots of parts and transmissions for them as well and they were relatively cheap.
The reason many early Fords, and other cars, have SBCs installed in them was that the SBC was easier to install than the Ford smallblock due to oil pan configurations and being slightly shorter in length. Then there was, and is, the expense, SBC parts and speed goodies are cheaper than the same for Fords.
The overall useability, physical size, weight, economy, and HP potential just favor the Chevy engines over the Fords, and the archaic engines of the 50s and 60s.
Don't get me wrong, ther's nothing wrong with any of the early engines, it's just a matter of economics mostly.
I have a friend with a fresh 392 Chrysler Hemi built as a street blower motor and never run since assembly over 30 years ago. Complete with 6-71, dual 4bbls, and blower drive. What's he puttin' in his new build 32 3W Coupe??? SBC crate motor.
Old 06-24-2005, 09:38 AM
STUPID is as STUPID does...

Last wiki edit: Crankshaft Coalition Wiki Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1

Build the 350 and put 305 stickers on the rocker covers... Better yet build a 383 and put a 307 turbofire sticker on the aircleaner lid...
Old 06-27-2005, 01:38 PM

Last wiki edit: AMC V-8s Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 14

I have to agree with Pasadena. In the early 50s the Ford flat-head V-8 was the hot rodding king. It took quite a few years for the SBC to take over because of the availability of cheap flat-head Fords (1932-53?), plenty people who knew how to modify them, and plenty speed parts. Thats why you STILL see a good many flat-head V-8s being built even today, though they are more for nostalgia. You can probably build a flat-head Ford cheaper than you can a big Buick, Olds, or Pontiac though, especially if you shop around for used parts! It's all popularity. Ford didn't go out of the way to make the little flat-head a hot rodder's dream like Chevy did either. Chevy pushed their engine by making lots of factory speed parts available in the early 60s, and for the past 10 years or so have had a great "crate motor" program -- better than Ford or Chrysler. And don't think brand X engine transplanted in brand Y car is anything new -- it's classic hot rodding at it's best! 348 Cadillac V-8s used to replace 283 SBCs in 55-57 Chevys on a routine basis.

I'm a die-hard AMC fan myself, and luckily there has been a resurgence of interest in at least the late model AMC pony/muscle cars. That's bleed over from the Chrysler buyout of AMC. Mopar fans are tired of looking at so many 'Cudas and such, and try to buy one in decent $hape! So they have been looking more at their forced cousins, AMC, and buying/building them to be different. AMC was traditionally a high value car -- more bang for the buck, and durable, but not to flashy or fast. Many that have been in the AMC hobby for a long time got there because the cars were unique yet inexpensive, and don't particularly carre that parts prices are starting to soar. The good thing is that makers are starting to repro more parts, and speed parts are starting to become available again -- like the Edelbrock aluminum heads and EFI system that just bolts on. It's a double-edged sword, this resurgence in AMC! We're getting parts we could only wish for 10 years ago, but now can we afford a car to put them on? Others (other than our Mopar cousins) are showing an interest in the late model AMCs because of the now available parts and to be different too.
Old 06-27-2005, 06:11 PM
mini me

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by killerformula
saying 383 just sounds cool too lol.

K
if your talking about mopar

now, "383 stroker" sounds cool

but as far as the question goes, there is nothing wrong with a 350 (especially since it's made by chevy )

J
Old 06-27-2005, 07:54 PM

Last wiki edit: Mopar tapered axle rear brake conversion
Last journal entry: What I'm doing now...
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 49

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve t
why dont people put the same brand engine in there cars as there car, ford engine, ford car, you get my point
Because some of us like the styling of a particular car but actually want it to get where we're going and back home without breaking down.

That's why I put a hemi in my Chevy pickup, a hemi in my 32 Ford 3 window coupe, and a stroked BB Mopar in my '64 Max Wedge clone.
Old 06-27-2005, 10:39 PM
first timer

i hate 350's because every car at the fairgrounds has one
Old 07-01-2005, 07:24 PM

Yeah, everybody and their grandma has a 350 powering their heap, and sure it's cool when you see somebody running a tricked out example of a less common motor, but I'm a die hard rodder and speed freak, as well as a working guy.
So given my budget that I have to work with, I'll just smile and wave as you dump tons of money into a nailhead or early hemi trying to get it to come semi-close to my back bumper.

Don't get me wrong, I would piss my pants at the thought of building up an old flathead Caddy or or straight 8, and I love seeing that stuff out there running around. I just have to be more "bang for the buck" oriented right now.
Old 07-02-2005, 05:43 PM

i built my 350 before i knew about changing cranke around .it runs like a raped ape .$1800 everything was new. i love it
Old 07-03-2005, 11:01 PM
www.airriderz.com

350's

Nothing wrong with my 355. Take a listen..... 355 with .640 lift roller cam
Old 07-23-2005, 10:45 AM

SBC's

Everyone does NOT run a 350. I run a modified 300 inch Ford inline in my 28' Essex coupe. (355 Chev killer)

I have 40 over 327 popup pistons on the ends of the stock rods however. Along with 80 hours of porting on the head and each cylinder is "O" ringed to help keep the power in.

I also run a 350/350 combo in my 89' S10 so I'm still able to be looked down on for running a 350.

(checkout my photo album)
Old 07-24-2005, 10:09 PM
Jeep XJ and a Javelin

Last wiki edit: Compression test
Last journal entry: August 9, part III
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by farna
II'm a die-hard AMC fan myself,.
I'm an "anything American" fan, and I have a 64 Javelin. It's underfunded, (unfunded?) but at least it's safe in a pole barn until I acquire adequate funds to make it a proud automobile once again.

AS for the x-to-y thing, my grandpa has this crosley, itty bitty car... and I thought a buick nailhead with a hilborn F.I.-look setup would be really cool...

...but then reality kicks in, I have no job, no money...
Old 09-05-2008, 07:59 AM

Over at the street rod forum you aint s$$t unless you run a 350/350 or 350/700r4 combo. "hot" rods I guess are different than "street" rods. Street rodders go with 350 combos because of resale. A model a or ford coupe with chevy power will usually always sell for more $$$$ than a ford powered ford. Big blocks are also not very popular. Dont know why but is the case. "Hot" rods seem to benefit from the unusual. Motor swaps "are" the cool!!!! Like the nail head buick, 60's aluminum olds, 392 hemi, ford SHOC, 152 cu in chevy II, just to name a few.

350 chevys are / have been the main stay of rodding for years. Lets not forget that all SBC's were way more plentiful than other motors and way more speed parts and go fast tech were/are available. If you chose to swap in fuel injection there is an almost unlimited supply of harness/ecm aftermarket stuff available for the GM products. Not the same for the other mfg'rs.

These are the reasons that I have uncovered in my 40 tears of "roddin".
Old 09-05-2008, 09:34 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bowtieorbust
I keep reading on and on about how some like a 383 or 400 sbc but not a 350 sbc, and i've read whare some like a 283, 302, 305,327, but not a 350 sbc. Now what is so bad about a 350 sbc. I mean i've had quite a few cars and some truck's that had stock 350 sbc's in them, and they ran quite strong in stock form even well over the 100,000 mile mark. I pulled my 350 sbc out of a 1 ton passanger van that had over 100,000 mile's on the vehicle, the cylindr bore's had just a little ridge in them, and the flat tappet cam still looked as if it could make another 100,000 mile's. I had the block checked out and it was in good shape, with out the need for line hone'ing, and the deck chacked out nice straight and square,but i did have it decked .020 to bring the C/R up some. So what is so RONG with a 350 sbc,
This is what is "wrong" with the 350 chevy engine....
They are terribly common,
Almost too easy & too cheap to find parts for,
They're everywhere,
they're the most dependable,
Best HP & TQ per cubic inch & per dollar available.

With all that being said, it's up to guess why guys loose interest in them.
Maybe it's because they're not the biggest engine out there,
Maybe it's because they aren't able to show their creative element when building an engine.
Maybe it's because it's just too easy.....
It is almost getting impossible to find a high performance 355 buildup nowadays.
The 350 chevy is a SOLID performer on the street & on the racetrack.
It is undoubtedly the best engine ever made by Chevrolet.

The 350 increased Ed Coles original designed 265 out to maxinum cubes without decreasing block integrity. Just remeber that the 383 stroker wouldn't be much without a 350 block to house it.

It is still the most rebuilt engine in America.
Old 09-05-2008, 09:43 AM

Last photo:

I always liked how the 350 had just the right ballance of Torque & Horsepower.

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.