Why paint it; I want to drive it! - Page 2 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-18-2010, 05:45 PM

Last journal entry: JB's 37 Pickup
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

I'm going to take the low road on this one because I may be a bit lazy in some ways. I tend to work my butt off to finish my vehicles before ever driving them. One reason, I guess, is that I have others that I can drive while building and am not pressed to start enjoying the current project. But the main reason is that I am too lazy to put it together pre maturely and start driving it. I just think of having to dissemble it and do all the prep work necessary to get it ready for paint, interior work etc. But like the others have stated so well, it's your ride and do it however you feel like doing it. You only have to please your self!!!!

Trees

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-19-2010, 11:38 AM

Last journal entry: Body work
Last photo:

I'm with mike on this one.
Been working on my Rambler project 7 years now. With luck I hope to have the body done this summer. Then, I still have to mock up the motor one more time to finish fabricating engine compartment stuff, wire the car, build the motor and trans, and get enough of the interior built to drive it when I fire the motor. I'm ready to drive this thing! It will be running in primer and without a complete interior. Still don't know what color to paint it or how I'm going to build the interior panels. It's probably best in my case anyway because the car is pretty much custom built from the ground up and I'm not a professional builder so, I probably made my share of boo boo's. Better to fix stuff before painting it I figure.

Ed
Old 02-20-2010, 07:51 PM

Last wiki edit: Electrolytic rust removal
Last journal entry: 2.75 in..3.50 posi out
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 6

DRIVE IT! I've had my truck 10 years and look at my journal pics and see I'm NOT driving mine now It was running and driving until I had the bright idea to tear it all down and make it better, should've put a new engine in, sanded it down, shot it satin black and had 100k miles on it by now! If you've got lots of time and even more money, then you can afford to make it perfect. The worst part of my story is I don't even want it perfect, I want a rugged, sinister look. Perfect is good for some, and I appreciate and enjoy looking at perfection, but for me I'll always be a sucker for a look like the truck in the movie Jeepers Creepers I. My goal is to have my engine fired up by June, (my birthday), and the truck road worthy and painted by Christmas at the latest. It's funny I read this thread tonight. A few hours ago, my wife helped me pop the windshield out, (don't worry, the newbie didn't break it ) and I told her I'd rather see someone driving a rusty DRIVER, than a perfect show car being unloaded off a trailer! Good luck with your ride!
James
Old 02-21-2010, 05:33 AM

Last wiki edit: Stripping paint Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 11

You've raised a good point Hwy.When building a car ,There's a couple things that'll keep pulling you back from driving it.Finding better parts and going backwards installing them,and waiting for a certain parts that can be easily substituted. I've made it a rule to always keep moving forward but its very hard to do...for instance I had welded in a camero rear end with all the stock linkages even the third member....it worked fine...and I moved on ....after doing some body work someone offered me a set of ART ladder bars.for a little work they wanted ....Well...I dropped the bodywork and installed the ladder bars I should have stayed moving forward but couldn't help it,I lost a lot of valuable time right there...Even though I do body & paint for a living and have my own shop my time is just as limited as any of you.I have a complete set of rear disc brakes including the mounts setting in the shop, I'm trying to ignore the impulse to tear it back down an install them..because the shoes will work fine until after I start driving ,Not to mention the 05 caddie steering column with power tilt and telescopic,my old standard camero tilt will work fine and its been in there for a couple years...My time will be better spent on finishing up my floors so I can mount my seats then I can drive it...Its tough but keep the FORWARD momentum going..... don't wait for the expensive rear end when a junk yard rear will work fine until you get it...A rod is never done ..thats the beauty of it all....after its on the road you can do your upgrades on the weekend..one of the hardest things to decide is a paint color a good choice is going to be tough.don't worry about it, drive it to a couple shows talk to some other rodders get other opinions,see similar cars and their colors ....until you decide the semi gloss look of epoxy will do..I'd rather drive an unpainted rod than a new run of the mill car thats like everybody else's ,any day.BTW ,I've installed a second motor too and its never hit the road yet..The deals keep coming and they keep holding you back.........Mike
Old 02-21-2010, 07:04 AM

Last wiki edit: General Motors transmissions Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 27

Drive it

Back in the day as soon as we could get it to run it was on the road. and put in a few hours each week , making progress, On my old high school chevy, lowered, nosed and decked, emblems removed and leaded in and spotted with black primer I was asked a few times if it had caught fire. some kids thought the black primer spot were smoke-fire damage....feather sand and spot primer a panel at a time so it wouldn't start to rust.
Old 02-21-2010, 07:39 AM
Alberta Bud

Back when...

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1953 Homer
I have been working slowly on my '53 Ford Rat Rod for 4 years now. It runs, drives and stops, but the paint and interior is coming slow. I have done the front seat, and most of the rough body work, along with all mechanical work. I have decided that I am going to assemble it, register it, and drive it this summer, regardless if it is painted!

How many others have done this too? I will get the Blitz Black on it sometime (maybe this year) but I want to get behind the wheel and put some miles on this old car. What do you think?

Mike K
You are following the path of countless others.I am 65,and did the same with a whole lot of cars,starting in 1958 at 13 years old,with a '40 Ford 2 door. My older brothers helped.My friends all built their cars the same way.Some were better than others,but we loved those cars and drove them proudly all through their construction. Your doing it Right man! It's called Hotrodding !! Bud
Old 02-21-2010, 08:43 AM
Evil Wicked Mean And Nasty

Last wiki edit: Pilot bearing and bushings
Last journal entry: roof repair
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 37

Drive on!!!!!!!!!!! Heck i been doing it for years now and i have drove finished rides but i will tell you this i had more fun in the ones that weren't done . The one i have now and have had for several years still not done and i will keep on driving it it might get done and it might not. Enjoy thats what it's about also All in a Hotrodders life . IMO (DRIVE ON)

Cole
Old 02-21-2010, 07:44 PM

Last wiki edit: How to title a hot rod Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1

after having my basket case with mr for 31 years

i finally got round to it and did not hesitate to put it on the road in blitze black and junk yard seats. can't get the smile off my face and really enjoy the waves from passing car enthousiests.sp?

Recent Body - Exterior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.