Why are people scared of Fuel injection? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > General Discussion> Hotrodders' Lounge
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-02-2005, 10:46 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Why are people scared of Fuel injection?

Why are people scared of fuel injection? I was out last night cruising around and talking with the hot rodders trying to figure out what direction to go with my Chevelle power train. At this moment I want to get my hands on a 6 liter from a newer Chevy truck. From what I have found out about this engine is that they make 300 to 350 (depending on what it comes out of right up to 390hp) right from the factory. I'm thinking that this is a good starting point to make some decent horsepower. Well I start talking with some different guys and when ever the subject of putting this engine into my Chevelle the most common response is "That WILL NOT make any power" or "There is no aftermarket for those engines". At this point I'm thinking that everyone here is 35+ year old and they are scared of fuel injection (no offense). OK to each there own. In the next breath one of the guys tries to sell me his small block Chevy that he figures is making about 450 with a 150 shot of nitrous that doesn't come with the motor. Now if I do my math right that means he is making 300 hp give or take. Well if I wanted that I would go and get a 350 and start working on it to make the 300 hp or I could go get a 6 liter with it?s 300 hp and start from there. Why is it the new stuff "will not make any power" when I'm reading articles of guys making 700 hp with out the nitrous and all the way up to 1000+ hp in drag cars. I just frustrates me to no end. Why must some thing that is making power be using technology from the 70's we didn't peek then. I love my 350 4dr chevelle that will pass everything on the road, but the gas station, but I must say that some of the tuners out there know how to make good power using technology ( I feel dirty for saying that) I know that people don't like fuel injection why I do not know.

That is enough ranting for one night

John

Advertisement

Last edited by projectjohn; 10-02-2005 at 10:49 PM. Reason: Can't Spell
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-02-2005, 11:00 PM
current hot rod: CTS-V

Last journal entry: Lets Get Started With the Improvements
Last photo:

The people who are talking to you don't have a clue. That 6.0 accepts almost all the aftermarket parts made for the ls1/ls6. And anyone who can read a Jegs catalog knows that there is one hell of an aftermarket for the Gen III sbc.

I think that would be an awesome power plant for a Chevelle. and I think the 6L makes 320 hp, not 300.
Old 10-02-2005, 11:14 PM

Last photo:

You know i told him about the ls1 stuff fitting on to the 6 liter and he looked at me shook his head no and didn't say a thing. I don't know if he was thinking i was off my rocker or what. I have talked to some people that work at gm dealerships and they think it is a good idea, but this couple of guys got under my skin.

I hope they don't limit the amount of ranting i've done my share tonight

John
Old 10-02-2005, 11:32 PM
current hot rod: CTS-V

Last journal entry: Lets Get Started With the Improvements
Last photo:

rant

fughettabout it, thats what the the lounge is for. lol
Old 10-03-2005, 05:02 AM
wind & fire = guides to power

Last photo:

I like fuel injection but I'm also scared of it for two reasons, $$$ and more $$$
Old 10-03-2005, 07:56 AM

Last journal entry: JB's 37 Pickup
Last photo:

I made the plunge into the 21st Century by fuel injecting my Gen I 383 stroker, which I already had. I spent months reading and researching to make this plunge and have no regrets. The next time, I will go the Gen III route so I can get the full roller valve train to go with the EFI. Removing all the pollution control garbage no longer bothers me. I am not looking for tons of horsepower and torque, but smoothness, reliability, and efficiency are high on my list and state of the art EFI help me attain these goals.

Trees
Old 10-03-2005, 09:06 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: How to rebuild an engine Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 4

I think there is nothing better than fuel injection, From the factory or aftermarket. How many carb engines can you change a tune from street to strip in just 1 key stroke. You get much better driveability, fuel economy, turn key and go, no letting it warm up before you can drive away. EFI is great. I think many people don't understand how it works therefore it must be bad.

Steve
Old 10-03-2005, 05:22 PM
King of my Man-cave.

Last photo:

I am afraid of fuel injection 'cause it's EVIL and is designed to make old people like me look like idiots in front of pimply-faced teenagers who actually UNDERSTAND how it WORKS!

tom
Old 10-03-2005, 05:46 PM

Last photo:

what tom said, my cousin has a 66 malibu that was in super chevy mag in 87, it's mini tubbed with a 4 link rear, and a 4 speed, powered by a 406 SBC, prob in the 450 + HP range. No BS on HP either (all the good stuff) he put an aftermarket fuel injection on it. man does it sound sweet and snappy too. at the last car show he was at, he won on points in the modified class (for each modification you got 1 point) he said the 65 chevell next to him should of beat him, but his 66 won by 1 point cause of the fuel injection. this was like late 70s and older show with 200+ cars. and he was the only fuel injected hotrod there.

Mustangsaly
Old 10-03-2005, 07:02 PM
Analog man in a digital world.

Last journal entry: HEI comparison.
Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by NXS
I like fuel injection but I'm also scared of it for two reasons, $$$ and more $$$
Likewise, but one of these days...........
Old 10-03-2005, 07:59 PM
The AMC, FORD, & CHEVY Guy??!!

Last wiki edit: Improving fuel economy
Last journal entry: Finally on the road
Last photo:

People are scared of Fuel Injection because they don't have any knowledge of how it works. I was once one of those people. Now that I have my electronics degree and work with computers & circuits on a daily basis, a control system to run an engine is not really all that complex to me.

Simply put: People don't use fuel injection for the same reason they don't use the internet for transactions. They will give all of their personal information to some college kid working a a telecom center, but are scared to punch their credit card number into a website. Using your computer at home is much safer then calling the customer service line, but people don't do it because they don't understand how it works.
Old 10-05-2005, 09:01 AM
King of my Man-cave.

Last photo:

Boy, I hope you don't have pimples!

tom
Old 10-06-2005, 07:54 AM

Last photo:

I've been working on efi (M/Benz)
since the 70's but both my cars (407sbc and3.5Range rover) run on propane. Why use a carb or an injector to try to turn liquid into vapour when you can start with a vapour.
Old 10-06-2005, 06:09 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Transmission identification
Last journal entry: 1988 Suburban, the project continues.
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 9

I've been dabbling with EFI for my 1981 Malibu, and when installed and running I will have to enter shows in the modified classes, even though I am using stock Chevy parts to make the switch.

I plan on using everything I can from other factory equipped EFI vehicles to make this change so I can also get the "stock" look along with the changes.

I am using the MOST looked down upon fuel injection system Chevy came out with, just to be different.

I am just having a MAJOR problem with locating a different set of injectors so they are close to what my oddball engine size requires.

I have all winter to do the work though.
Old 10-06-2005, 06:24 PM

Last photo:

Money, plain and simple. Aftermarket EFI is too expensive for average Joe. The cheapest I've found is Holley's 950 Commander TBI that uses a regular intake. $1400 for the whole mess and if you don't have a laptop that's another $200-300 for a p.o.s. used one that might work long enough to get it tuned up.

So $16-1700 and a steep learning curve before the laptop crashes or keep the carb and intake ya got at the swap meet for $250-300.

Larry

Recent Hotrodders' Lounge posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.