Hot Rod Forum banner

Why the pop when turning the acetelene off first?

2K views 21 replies 7 participants last post by  Chris Kemp 
#1 ·
I forget the reason my shop teacher told me. Thanks

#4 ·
adantessr said:
It becomes a very oxygen rich mixture and is actually a mini explosion . I could tell you how to make a bomb using oxy/acetylene and a garbage bag , but I won't .
Lol to get a real expolsion you would need to use fiberglass mesh and epoxy resin all over your balloon or bag like paper machete, to hold the explosion in a little longer so that the expansion would be more spectacular. I think it would be more like a low pitched WOOF and a ball of fire without the back pressure wouldn't it?

Kids: Don't try this at home. :nono:

#5 ·
Dirty Biker said:
Lol to get a real expolsion you would need to use fiberglass mesh and epoxy resin all over your balloon or bag like paper machete, to hold the explosion in a little longer so that the expansion would be more spectacular. I think it would be more like a low pitched WOOF and a ball of fire without the back pressure wouldn't it?

Kids: Don't try this at home. :nono:
Quart oil bottles work real good. just lay them on there side, fill em up, light the torch and stick the flame to the open mouth of the bottle.
Kids: Don't try this at home.

But seriously IMO the best way to turn off the flame is by adding more oxygen. Blow it out with oxy and then turn the torches off.

#6 ·
Chris Kemp said:
Quart oil bottles work real good. just lay them on there side, fill em up, light the torch and stick the flame to the open mouth of the bottle.
Kids: Don't try this at home.

But seriously IMO the best way to turn off the flame is by adding more oxygen. Blow it out with oxy and then turn the torches off.

Does it rupture the bottle or just blow the lid off and make the bottle take off like a rocket? :)

#7 ·
Dirty Biker said:
Does it rupture the bottle or just blow the lid off and make the bottle take off like a rocket? :)
You don't have to put the cap back on it. Oxygene and axcetalene is heavier then air and it will stay in the bottle for a little while.

We need to quit this cause FBI will probably be knocking on our doors before the night is over.

#9 ·
Chris Kemp said:
You don't have to put the cap back on it. Oxygene and axcetalene is heavier then air and it will stay in the bottle for a little while.

We need to quit this cause FBI will probably be knocking on our doors before the night is over.
LOL . That is why I didn't go into detail . Ohhh the stories I could tell you ! Did you know that surface miners are a crazy breed ? We were very creative in our mischief as a bunch of 30 something mechanics and welders back in the 70's. Did you know you can blow the windows out of a building from several hundred yards away with ??????? . Hahahaha

#11 ·
adantessr said:
LOL . That is why I didn't go into detail . Ohhh the stories I could tell you ! Did you know that surface miners are a crazy breed ? We were very creative in our mischief as a bunch of 30 something mechanics and welders back in the 70's. Did you know you can blow the windows out of a building from several hundred yards away with ??????? . Hahahaha
Yeah that's me for sure! 1970 I was 13 years old and I made gun cotton! Found out how to make it with the encyclopedia that Mom and Dad had bought for us to help with school work. Darn near blew my head off! Burnt all the hair off the front of my head (even my eyebrows and eye lashes) singed my eyeballs too and that night my eyes matted shut. The next morning after soaking my eyes wth a warm wash cloth, Mom made me go to the doctor. Her and Dad had to work so I had to go on my bicycle. I told the Doctor what I had done and he thought it was funny (I found out most doctors have to study chemistry also) we even compared notes. He gave me some salve for my eyes and asked me if learned anything. I told him that the next time I made some I wasn't going to let it dry in the sun and that I was going to keep my distance from it until I knew it was stable. He laughed and said "Have fun and be careful".

So let's have a Tea Party revolution. All of us mechanics will gang up and take out all of the machinery and then repair it for ourselves. He who can destroy/repair/rebuild rules! let me see Obama or Finstien do that!

#12 · (Edited)
Chris Kemp said:
So let's have a Tea Party revolution. All of us mechanics will gang up and take out all of the machinery and then repair it for ourselves. He who can destroy/repair/rebuild rules! let me see Obama or Finstien do that!
Reminds me of a story I would like to relate:
I used to burn little piles of smokeless powder out of a can, my dad had a buncha different kinds for reloading shotgun shells. Once when I was about 10 years old or so I tried burning a little black powder the same way as the smokeless powder I was used to. With a little pile and a cigarette lighter, I burned my face pretty badly with the flash that it made, it even rattled the tin roof of the barn I was in. First degree on my cheeks and forehead and second degree on the tip of my nose and the kids in school made fun of me for being a pyro and looking like a freak because for at least a week or two I had this big crusty clear scab of dried ooze on my face that made me look hideous. Some things are priceless... Like that lesson on thermo-dynamics I got by seeing what would happen and testing the limits and all that.... :pain: ;)

But yeah, I love fixing stuff only slightly less than I like breaking stuff that's working perfectly fine, so I might be a good guy on the team.

I'm in, sign me up. :cool:

#13 · (Edited)
Ok sorta back to the topic, I wonder if the pop from turning the acetelene off before the o2 relates to how a overly lean condition(too much o2) causes pinging by making the mix burn too fast. In this case, it burns so fast it makes the popping sound of a tiny explosion before it even leaves the tip...

One definition of explosion is extremely rapid oxidation!

@Dinger, The tip prolly does need a good cleaning... :)

#15 ·
timothale said:
correctly mixed a 10 inch ballon is close to a stick of dynamite DON'T TRY A GARBAGE BAG. you could knock a house down.
adantessr
Wiki editor Last wiki edit: Troubleshooting ignition
Wiki Edits: 3

adantessr's Photo Album

It becomes a very oxygen rich mixture and is actually a mini explosion . I could tell you how to make a bomb using oxy/acetylene and a garbage bag , but I won't .

#16 ·
timothale said:
correctly mixed a 10 inch ballon is close to a stick of dynamite DON'T TRY A GARBAGE BAG. you could knock a house down.
I sent several PMs to dirtybiker trying to explain this to him but I still don't think he is convinced . A snuff can will go about 40 ft in the air. I personally witnessed this several times. What a bang. About like a .357 magnum . We never tried anything bigger but did talk to some guys who were invloved in setting off a garbage bag full . The claimed it knocked the windows out of one side of the mine garage several hundred yards away . I don't doubt it having seen what just a snuff can full would do. DON'T TRY THIS AT HOME !

#17 ·
I make fireworks- so I know a little about energetic compounds. There are few things readily available that explode w/the violence of acetylene.

Now, everyone has been told don't do it- if anyone proceeds anyway, he does so at his own peril. It's called "Darwin at Work".

I would suggest changing subjects or this will surely get locked.

Lean mix = pop. ALWAYS turn the O2 off first. End of story, IMO.

#18 ·
cobalt327 said:
I make fireworks- so I know a little about energetic compounds. There are few things readily available that explode w/the violence of acetylene.

Now, everyone has been told don't do it- if anyone proceeds anyway, he does so at his own peril. It's called "Darwin at Work".

I would suggest changing subjects or this will surely get locked.

Lean mix = pop. ALWAYS turn the O2 off first. End of story, IMO.
QUADRUPLE DITTO ! Right on the mark on all four comments .

#21 ·
Chris Kemp said:
Home Land Security showed up at my house last night. They ran a back ground check on me and everything came back clean. Then we all set down down together had a few beers and watched CSI. LOL

Cool, what kinda beer do they prefer? Might be a good idea to have a few of there brand stuck the back thge fridge in case they come over this way... :p

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.