Why the pop when turning the acetelene off first? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum



Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> General Rodding Tech
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 09-23-2010, 03:21 AM
Dirty Biker's Avatar
Bold As Love
 
Last photo:
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: In a van, down by the river.
Age: 38
Posts: 378
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 1
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Why the pop when turning the acetelene off first?

I forget the reason my shop teacher told me. Thanks

    Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 09-23-2010, 12:26 PM
dinger's Avatar
Hotrodders.com Moderator
 
Last wiki edit: Health and safety in the shop or garage
Last journal entry: 36 Ford painting
Last photo:
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Visalia, Ca.
Age: 62
Posts: 2,711
Wiki Edits: 1

Thanks: 107
Thanked 116 Times in 81 Posts
Clean the tip.
__________________
"When I was younger, I could remember anything, whether it had happened or not." - Mark Twain
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 09-23-2010, 01:13 PM
adantessr's Avatar
'23 T-Bucket Pickup
 
Last wiki edit: Troubleshooting ignition Last photo:
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: South Charleston , WV
Age: 62
Posts: 1,549
Wiki Edits: 3

Thanks: 43
Thanked 17 Times in 15 Posts
It becomes a very oxygen rich mixture and is actually a mini explosion . I could tell you how to make a bomb using oxy/acetylene and a garbage bag , but I won't .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 09-23-2010, 02:13 PM
Dirty Biker's Avatar
Bold As Love
 
Last photo:
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: In a van, down by the river.
Age: 38
Posts: 378
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 1
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by adantessr
It becomes a very oxygen rich mixture and is actually a mini explosion . I could tell you how to make a bomb using oxy/acetylene and a garbage bag , but I won't .
Lol to get a real expolsion you would need to use fiberglass mesh and epoxy resin all over your balloon or bag like paper machete, to hold the explosion in a little longer so that the expansion would be more spectacular. I think it would be more like a low pitched WOOF and a ball of fire without the back pressure wouldn't it?


Kids: Don't try this at home.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #5 (permalink)  
Old 09-23-2010, 03:52 PM
Registered User
 
Last photo:
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Jax Fl
Posts: 383
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 17
Thanked 4 Times in 2 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirty Biker
Lol to get a real expolsion you would need to use fiberglass mesh and epoxy resin all over your balloon or bag like paper machete, to hold the explosion in a little longer so that the expansion would be more spectacular. I think it would be more like a low pitched WOOF and a ball of fire without the back pressure wouldn't it?


Kids: Don't try this at home.
Quart oil bottles work real good. just lay them on there side, fill em up, light the torch and stick the flame to the open mouth of the bottle.
Kids: Don't try this at home.

But seriously IMO the best way to turn off the flame is by adding more oxygen. Blow it out with oxy and then turn the torches off.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #6 (permalink)  
Old 09-23-2010, 05:15 PM
Dirty Biker's Avatar
Bold As Love
 
Last photo:
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: In a van, down by the river.
Age: 38
Posts: 378
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 1
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Kemp
Quart oil bottles work real good. just lay them on there side, fill em up, light the torch and stick the flame to the open mouth of the bottle.
Kids: Don't try this at home.

But seriously IMO the best way to turn off the flame is by adding more oxygen. Blow it out with oxy and then turn the torches off.

Does it rupture the bottle or just blow the lid off and make the bottle take off like a rocket?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #7 (permalink)  
Old 09-23-2010, 06:57 PM
Registered User
 
Last photo:
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Jax Fl
Posts: 383
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 17
Thanked 4 Times in 2 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirty Biker
Does it rupture the bottle or just blow the lid off and make the bottle take off like a rocket?
You don't have to put the cap back on it. Oxygene and axcetalene is heavier then air and it will stay in the bottle for a little while.

We need to quit this cause FBI will probably be knocking on our doors before the night is over.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #8 (permalink)  
Old 09-23-2010, 07:02 PM
S10 Racer's Avatar
http://www.warsprints.com
 

Last journal entry: W.A.R. (Wingless Auto Racing) Sprint Car Racing
Last photo:
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: At The Dirt Tracks
Age: 55
Posts: 1,938
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 4
Thanked 74 Times in 66 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Kemp
We need to quit this cause FBI will probably be knocking on our doors before the night is over.
And tomorrows lesson will be how to make a big boom with sparklers
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #9 (permalink)  
Old 09-23-2010, 07:02 PM
adantessr's Avatar
'23 T-Bucket Pickup
 
Last wiki edit: Troubleshooting ignition Last photo:
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: South Charleston , WV
Age: 62
Posts: 1,549
Wiki Edits: 3

Thanks: 43
Thanked 17 Times in 15 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Kemp
You don't have to put the cap back on it. Oxygene and axcetalene is heavier then air and it will stay in the bottle for a little while.

We need to quit this cause FBI will probably be knocking on our doors before the night is over.
LOL . That is why I didn't go into detail . Ohhh the stories I could tell you ! Did you know that surface miners are a crazy breed ? We were very creative in our mischief as a bunch of 30 something mechanics and welders back in the 70's. Did you know you can blow the windows out of a building from several hundred yards away with ??????? . Hahahaha
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #10 (permalink)  
Old 09-23-2010, 07:06 PM
adantessr's Avatar
'23 T-Bucket Pickup
 
Last wiki edit: Troubleshooting ignition Last photo:
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: South Charleston , WV
Age: 62
Posts: 1,549
Wiki Edits: 3

Thanks: 43
Thanked 17 Times in 15 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by S10 Racer
And tomorrows lesson will be how to make a big boom with sparklers
Oh , Did you see that on utube also . A friend put it on facebook yesterday and I laughed until I cried . Holy Smokes ! ROFLMBO
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #11 (permalink)  
Old 09-23-2010, 07:24 PM
Registered User
 
Last photo:
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Jax Fl
Posts: 383
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 17
Thanked 4 Times in 2 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by adantessr
LOL . That is why I didn't go into detail . Ohhh the stories I could tell you ! Did you know that surface miners are a crazy breed ? We were very creative in our mischief as a bunch of 30 something mechanics and welders back in the 70's. Did you know you can blow the windows out of a building from several hundred yards away with ??????? . Hahahaha
Yeah that's me for sure! 1970 I was 13 years old and I made gun cotton! Found out how to make it with the encyclopedia that Mom and Dad had bought for us to help with school work. Darn near blew my head off! Burnt all the hair off the front of my head (even my eyebrows and eye lashes) singed my eyeballs too and that night my eyes matted shut. The next morning after soaking my eyes wth a warm wash cloth, Mom made me go to the doctor. Her and Dad had to work so I had to go on my bicycle. I told the Doctor what I had done and he thought it was funny (I found out most doctors have to study chemistry also) we even compared notes. He gave me some salve for my eyes and asked me if learned anything. I told him that the next time I made some I wasn't going to let it dry in the sun and that I was going to keep my distance from it until I knew it was stable. He laughed and said "Have fun and be careful".

So let's have a Tea Party revolution. All of us mechanics will gang up and take out all of the machinery and then repair it for ourselves. He who can destroy/repair/rebuild rules! let me see Obama or Finstien do that!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #12 (permalink)  
Old 09-23-2010, 08:05 PM
Dirty Biker's Avatar
Bold As Love
 
Last photo:
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: In a van, down by the river.
Age: 38
Posts: 378
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 1
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Kemp

So let's have a Tea Party revolution. All of us mechanics will gang up and take out all of the machinery and then repair it for ourselves. He who can destroy/repair/rebuild rules! let me see Obama or Finstien do that!
Reminds me of a story I would like to relate:
I used to burn little piles of smokeless powder out of a can, my dad had a buncha different kinds for reloading shotgun shells. Once when I was about 10 years old or so I tried burning a little black powder the same way as the smokeless powder I was used to. With a little pile and a cigarette lighter, I burned my face pretty badly with the flash that it made, it even rattled the tin roof of the barn I was in. First degree on my cheeks and forehead and second degree on the tip of my nose and the kids in school made fun of me for being a pyro and looking like a freak because for at least a week or two I had this big crusty clear scab of dried ooze on my face that made me look hideous. Some things are priceless... Like that lesson on thermo-dynamics I got by seeing what would happen and testing the limits and all that....


But yeah, I love fixing stuff only slightly less than I like breaking stuff that's working perfectly fine, so I might be a good guy on the team.

I'm in, sign me up.

Last edited by Dirty Biker; 09-23-2010 at 08:24 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #13 (permalink)  
Old 09-23-2010, 10:56 PM
Dirty Biker's Avatar
Bold As Love
 
Last photo:
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: In a van, down by the river.
Age: 38
Posts: 378
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 1
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Ok sorta back to the topic, I wonder if the pop from turning the acetelene off before the o2 relates to how a overly lean condition(too much o2) causes pinging by making the mix burn too fast. In this case, it burns so fast it makes the popping sound of a tiny explosion before it even leaves the tip...

One definition of explosion is extremely rapid oxidation!


@Dinger, The tip prolly does need a good cleaning...

Last edited by Dirty Biker; 09-23-2010 at 11:02 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #14 (permalink)  
Old 09-24-2010, 09:01 AM
Registered User
 
Last wiki edit: General Motors transmissions Last photo:
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: near Yellowstone park
Posts: 4,458
Wiki Edits: 27

Thanks: 13
Thanked 284 Times in 264 Posts
don't do this at home !!!

correctly mixed a 10 inch ballon is close to a stick of dynamite DON'T TRY A GARBAGE BAG. you could knock a house down.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #15 (permalink)  
Old 09-24-2010, 10:51 AM
adantessr's Avatar
'23 T-Bucket Pickup
 
Last wiki edit: Troubleshooting ignition Last photo:
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: South Charleston , WV
Age: 62
Posts: 1,549
Wiki Edits: 3

Thanks: 43
Thanked 17 Times in 15 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by timothale
correctly mixed a 10 inch ballon is close to a stick of dynamite DON'T TRY A GARBAGE BAG. you could knock a house down.
adantessr
Registered User
Wiki editor Last wiki edit: Troubleshooting ignition
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: South Charleston , WV
Age: 58
Posts: 435
Wiki Edits: 3


adantessr's Photo Album

It becomes a very oxygen rich mixture and is actually a mini explosion . I could tell you how to make a bomb using oxy/acetylene and a garbage bag , but I won't .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Recent General Rodding Tech posts with photos

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
solvent pop question dannyidp Body - Exterior 20 12-30-2009 06:23 AM
Pop pop pop pmeisel Engine 23 03-06-2005 08:00 PM
LOUD POP! noise when turning right in S-10 cknox88 Suspension - Brakes - Steering 3 01-12-2005 08:31 PM
PM pop ups not coming through? lluciano77 Hotrodders Site Suggestions and Help 6 12-05-2004 09:13 PM
Crank Pulley not turning smuhammad Engine 1 01-22-2003 08:52 PM


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 02:30 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2
Copyright Hotrodders.com 1999 - 2012. All Rights Reserved.