Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - why is QUENCH important????
View Single Post
Old 04-22-2004, 08:59 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last journal entry: PICTURE TEST
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

quench

It is my understanding that the only job of proper quench is prevent detonation. When the spark lights the mixture the flame is to burn across the top of the piston in a controlled fashion. Like a stone thrown into a pond when you get the rippled effect. The more chamber you have above the piston (IE piston .105 down the hole) the less ideal the chamber is to prevent detonation..... The idea in piston design is to help the flame travel. That would be my idea of why a "D" piston would work better because at the point away from the spark plug the quench is right making a better burn....

How much it actually effects real world operation of a motor i have no idea. I can tell you i bought a short block from a friends car. The motor was to have been built by a well know engine builder. It had a 14:71 blower on it. Those pistons were .190" down in the hole, flat tops with one small valve cut on the intake side.( big block chevy) The car ran awsome and as far as i know had no retard on the standard timing (not sure if it was boost retarded or not but i am sure it had to be) There was no signs at all of any detonation in the short block.......

So i know that motors will work that way. Not sure if this helps you out or not... If i am off on my understanding of quench someone jump in here.....

Keith