Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - And this is why you ALWAYS intermix cans of paint.
View Single Post
Old 11-25-2012, 09:38 PM
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanked 1,083 Times in 966 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldBodyman View Post
"I have a guy I work with who has beached about the paint not matching when he has sprayed a spray out card that DID match. What do you say to a guy like this? I calmly asked, "How could the spray out card match and the paint on the car doesn't"? SOMETHING changed between the spray out card and the car, SOMETHING changed. He honestly believed it was the paint that somehow changed, I am not making this up! "

Did he wait any length of time between the spray-out card and spraying the panel. Bet you dollars-to-doughnuts it settled out in the gun, OOPS. Especially with whites, the toners all have a different specific weights to them, mix the paint ready to spray and leave it sit in a mixing cup for 15 min. and see if it settles with the toners on top. With a gravity feed gun you'll be spraying pure white toner first, with a siphon feed gun you'll be spraying color toners first. With pressure feed you have to deal with the length of the hose.

With color matching EVERYTHING matters.
That could be, and again, operator error and NOT the paint. When you see something like that it is pretty simple, it's something you are doing and not the paint. But he would always blame the paint.

Brian