Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - And this is why you ALWAYS intermix cans of paint.
View Single Post
Old 11-25-2012, 10:05 PM
Faith - Respect - Trust

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by MARTINSR View Post
It's so funny how I remember the same thing, "That paint sucks" and you have shops all over using it without a hitch. Which is also the hard part, so does every other paint, they ALL work, there is nothing you are going to walk in there with and knock them dead with, not unless their supplier has no tech help and they are working with the wrong products. You can walk in there with the right products to make their job easier and they think it's all your brand, yet if their rep had went in with the right stuff which they have, he would still have the account. But you have nothing that the other companies don't have, that is the first and hardest thing to learn as a rep.

Brian
The "that paint sucks" line, I remember hearing it all to well. I was with ICI at the time when a painter told me that our clear sucked and Dupont was better and went on and on for weeks on end. He would say things like I can spot an ICI job a mile away. Finally I had enough and brought three cars that had recently been painted to this guys shop...I asked him to tell me which car had been painted with Dupont, which with ICI and which with BASF...He couldn't do it, got everyone wrong...He told me he was embarrassed, I told him not to be, and that I couldn't tell either.

I used to love when the competition would come in and rip my product apart...I didn't have to say anything, they did my work for me. LOL. The worst thing a rep can do is claim their product is superior because very often, maybe a few years down the road, they are repping for the product they where ripping apart earlier. So true about learning this as a rep, the one problem is that when they bring in a new rep, they go to propaganda school to learn about the product and they buy in to hard...and sometimes to long. I tried to sell service and knowledge before I sold product.

Ray