whys doe's my battrery keep dying? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Electrical
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-14-2010, 09:03 PM
two cups of tea

Last wiki edit: Need more horsepower for my 305 Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 2

whys doe's my battrery keep dying?

Ok so I can't seem to figure this out but if I have my car parked for a week or so &I go to start it it'll be dead.It all started after I dropped the new motor in last February, I put it in drove it a few times then parked it&2 weeks later it was dead.Didn't really drive it again for a few months drove it once or twice would park it&it would go dead a week or so later.I replaced the alternator, got a bigger battery &put in a high torque starter, disconnected the tach&stereo &no luck!PLEASE HELP!I'd love any advice.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-15-2010, 01:39 AM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

why does my battery keep dieing

well it keeps dieing because you are more than likely pinching a wire that you can't see. when you changed the engine you either pinch one or scraped on that is shorten or taking a slow draw from your battery. your you have a a loose wire somewhere you will have to go though all the wires around the engine that were removed. I would think that it would blow a fuse unless it's one of the hot wires in the IGN circuit, they don't have many fuses, you did not say what kind of car or year,stock wiring and fuse panel, or after market.
Check for wires then post the other thing.

Later 35terraplane
Old 10-15-2010, 03:58 AM

Last photo:

It seems like you may have a parasitic drain on the battery. There may be something as small as a glove box light on. I would retest the battery and alternator at Autozone. If that is working properly then it has to be a drain. There is a way to test it with a hot light tester. Although you will have to pull the each fuse and see if the light goes out at the battery. Once the hot light goes out then check what that fuse controls and it will narrow down your search. I can't really remember off the top of my head how to set up the hot light on the battery. I may experiment at home on my truck to tell you or maybe someone else has heard of doing it like this. Hope that helps. In the mean time just take off the positive off the battery while it sits until you figure it out.
Old 10-15-2010, 04:51 AM

Last photo:

Charge it and then disconnect the battery and see if it happens again.. If no good, charge it and disconnect the alt and see what happens..

I would go after something you recently installed because it's a new problem.
Old 10-15-2010, 07:31 AM

Last journal entry: 351W rebuild
Last photo:

Hi CTKid,
Have the battery charged then load tested. If it checks out Ok, then disconnect the neg cable & put a test light between the neg post & the cable. If the bulb is very dim that could be normal A clock in the radio, but if it's more then just a faint glow you'll need to check the fuses one at a time as stated in a previous post.
Rich
Old 10-15-2010, 07:22 PM

Last photo:

It is hard to tell exactly how much current is running through a test light A meter is the way to go, but you gotta be careful, or you will be buying meter fuses or cheap meters. Search parasitic draw on the net. There is much info on this. GL
Old 10-20-2010, 03:43 AM

hi everyone,

I think every battery has its expiry time I don't know the technical terminologies, It battery starts getting discharge very fast, It means your battery reached the time, when it needs new solution (sometimes people us boiling water for it which may leads to early discharging of battery) in it.

Thanks
Old 10-20-2010, 06:54 AM

Last photo:

Do you have an msd or similar type ignition system that is wired to constant 12v? I've seen them drain batteries cause they're hooked to 12v constantly, you'll need to reside them to a switched 12v that's off when ignition is off

just review your entire electrical system and see what's connected to 12v all the time. Unless your car is computer controlled nothing needs 12v when car is off.

He posted it was a new battery

buy a cheapo meter it won't matter. With the car off, put meter on amps setting and put it between your battery gnd wire and chasis (you'll have to remove the battery wire from the car battery). The current draw will be low but you'll see it. If the meter explodes you'd drain the battery in a day or less. Since it takes a week it's a low draw so the cheapo meter is ok.

Last edited by bubbahotep; 10-20-2010 at 06:59 AM. Reason: More added
Old 10-20-2010, 08:18 AM
SPI Thug

Last journal entry: some progress
Last photo:

kill switch............
Old 10-20-2010, 10:58 AM

Last photo:

Battery keeps dying

Quote:
Originally Posted by shine
kill switch............
I agree with shine, I won't wire a car without one. Although that still won't fix your small drain, which will sooner or later cause the battery to go bad from recharging.

35terraplane
Old 10-20-2010, 12:09 PM
two cups of tea

I'm gonna go buy a meter tomorrow, I went through all the wiring&rewraped everything,stuck a test light between the cable&battery&the light was bright did all that a month or so ago,Ill try everything you guys Said&post the outcome.Thanx
Old 10-20-2010, 04:53 PM

Last photo:

You def have a drain, you might consider..... disconnect the engine/computer harness, let it sit for a week, ck the battery, if it's flat you probably have a crossed wire in your harness, grounding the system out which results in the flat batt (as you decribed above) you'll have to break out the books and chase each wire to ensure it goes where it's supposed to etc.... as, mentioned above I'd start with the dizzy supply wire. If you can't locate the drain..... Auto Zone or Advanced Auto sell a battery disconnect switch for 13 bucks, hook that between the neg cable and the chassis ground, not a perm fix but a soluition untill you figure out where the drain is coming from.
Old 10-20-2010, 07:10 PM
two cups of tea

I think I may have to pull my dash off again because when I hooked up my tach I ran some wires through there.
Old 10-20-2010, 09:04 PM

Last photo:

Elect Gremlins

Buy a digital meter, hook up to neg and pos battery posts, put meter whwre you can see it from drivers seat. Note what meter reads (ign off ) pull one fuse at a time watch meter each time you pull a fuse if the meter voltage rises their was a current draw on that circuit. That is the current draw, but use your head on each fuse you pull and replace make sure it is not for something that is on like interior light, clock. Just read each fuse. You can do the same with under hood wiring to see if current draw on any wires you can physically unplug one at a time. Good luck.
Old 10-21-2010, 10:28 AM
How’s that hopey-changey thing

Last wiki edit: Determining top dead center
Last journal entry: Quicky frame dolly
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 8

[QUOTE=mud.man.rj]Buy a digital meter, hook up to neg and pos battery posts, put meter whwre you can see it from drivers seat. Note what meter reads (ign off ) pull one fuse at a time watch meter each time you pull a fuse if the meter voltage rises their was a current draw on that circuit. QUOTE]

Don't you mean;

set the meter too read AMPs;

remove the neg wire from the battery;

connect the meters NEG probe too the NEG post of the battery;

connect the POS probe too the wire you removed from the battery;

read the draw that way.

Hooking the meter acrossed the POS and NEG battery terminals will always read voltege.

Recent Electrical posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.