Wich oil pan you use on your 383 stroker? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-23-2005, 10:17 AM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Wich oil pan you use on your 383 stroker?

Hi,

I am looking into changing my actual oil pan on a 383 stroker as I have a leak at the rear gasket and overall the pan is tired! It is a GM pan that was used on the high performance corvette in the mid sixties..this one is ultra low profile having no more than 7 inches height from rails to the bottom of the sump and the sump is unusually long running close to 3/4 of the full length. Altough rare ,one can find some NOS on ebay of this model but I think it needs to have some enlarging work to allow for the larger crank throw and this takes place very close to the rails and I wish to find a pan that would not need this banging..could eventually warped the rail and not offering such a good gasket sealing.

Maybe I would need to look into custom built pan? The 7 inches maximum height is a must on my car as even with this pan the ground clearance is about 4 1/2 inches.Also the exhaust work close to the pan make the use of low but wide (T pans?) impossible I need something that doesn't get any wider than the block contour itself.I had checked about every web site pan manufacturer and yet have not found anything..except the custom builders way..anybody had one custom pan built and if so are you satisfied? Is aluminium a better choice over steel?

thanks again,
Ronald.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-23-2005, 10:29 AM
Race it, Don't rice it!

Last photo:

I've never seen a pan need clearancing.

I'm sure champ pans will have something you need.
Old 11-23-2005, 10:36 AM
Lost in the 60's

Last wiki edit: Removing stuck fasteners Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 4

A friend of mine is running a 383 stroker in his Nova, he is using a stock GM 350 oil pan and has no problems.
Old 11-23-2005, 10:45 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnsongrass1
I've never seen a pan need clearancing.

I'm sure champ pans will have something you need.

Ground clearance=distance from ground to the bottom of the pan..this is 4 1/2 inches actually with a 7 inches overall pan height...a stock 350 pan runs in general 8-9 inches deep...that would see the bottom of such a pan on my car with its belly at 3 1/2 or 2 1/2 inches from the asphalt..pretty skimmy!
Ronald.
Old 11-23-2005, 12:38 PM
Race it, Don't rice it!

Last photo:

What pans are you finding with rail to sump distance of 8-9 inches? All mine measure 7-7.25 inches.What pump and pick up do you use?
Old 11-23-2005, 03:40 PM

383 stroker

You are right, I know this from experience. The rods will hit on the early corvette 327 pan and some of the early 283/327 truck pans. The pans I always ended up using to avoid this problem in the regular 400 S/B pan. I can't tell you if it will give you the depth numbers you want or not. If you want to go aftermarket, several companies make a 7" depth low ground clearance pan.
T
Old 11-25-2005, 04:08 AM

Last photo:

Maybe you have too much windage causing other problems, I don't like saying it due to cost, but this may be case for a dry sump. Did that TVR come with a Ford V6?
Old 11-25-2005, 06:01 AM

Last photo:

The TVR came originally with the 2.5 six litres triumph engine.
My actual set up has a windage tray I think it is a GM part that was used on corvettes it is affix through studs rather bolts for main caps. But we have to remember this corvette pan and windage tray were meant to be used with shorter throw crankshaft the 350 is...it clears the larger 400 crank I have but how much extra windage effect there is I don't know.
I had since posting communicated with a custom oil pan builder and I could have an aluminium pan with the shape and clearance I am looking for at a cost of 425.00. I will wait to cure the oil burning problem before going into expenses on this one further..
Old 01-30-2007, 05:46 PM

Last photo:

oil pan clearance

I know what you are talking about, I am putting together a 388" stroker sbc right now and I encountered some clearance problems with a Fel-Pro one piece oil pan gasket. I had to relieve it a small amount at the side rails where the rod bolts interfered and a little where the counterweights also just nicked the gasket. I am using a Taiwan chrome oil pan and it seems to work OK. I just used my die grinder at one place near the rear counter weight for a little more clearance.(maybe .030) Now everything clears and the engine turns over just fine.....good luck, Karl.
Old 01-30-2007, 07:20 PM
Member# 3287

Last journal entry: Vortec Heads
Last photo:

My 383 pan needed to be very slightly clearanced in 2-3 spots. Whether or not you will need to probably depends on the core shift of the block.
Old 01-30-2007, 07:21 PM

Check the different pans from Moroso - sure to have the one you need.

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.