Wide band 02 for carb tuning - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> General Rodding Tech
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-21-2014, 07:25 PM

Last wiki edit: Electrolytic rust removal
Last journal entry: 2.75 in..3.50 posi out
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 6

Wide band 02 for carb tuning

Anyone using a wide band O2 set up with a carb? What brand? Which model? Need computer or does it display on a gauge? Does it let you really tune a daily driver better?
Thanks

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-22-2014, 03:53 AM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

I have an AEM wideband A/F gauge. It has a digital readout. It does not datalog but can be upgraded to do so. It was less than $200. There are several other brands that function similarly.

It is one of the best tools I have ever bought. Takes a lot of the guess work out of carb tuning and really speeds up the process.
Old 01-22-2014, 06:11 AM
Carter Carb Shop, parts & serv

Last photo:

I use an innovate LM-2. The only advice I can offer is that you can't tune an engine properly going by the numbers. I see people make the mistake that they need to hit a certian number or value -13.7 for instance - you have to let the engine tell you what it wants. If you have a brand new sbc with stock cam & valvetrain then you can shoot for a particular value, but that is an engine where you won't need to analyze, it'll be close from gitgo.
It is interesting to see what the engine is doing over a period of time so the data logging is worth considering. You can establish a baseline now, drive on a flat stretch and then up a small hill and save the data. Next year you can repeat the test and compare the info.
Old 01-22-2014, 06:59 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ojh View Post
I use an innovate LM-2. The only advice I can offer is that you can't tune an engine properly going by the numbers. I see people make the mistake that they need to hit a certian number or value -13.7 for instance - you have to let the engine tell you what it wants. If you have a brand new sbc with stock cam & valvetrain then you can shoot for a particular value, but that is an engine where you won't need to analyze, it'll be close from gitgo.
It is interesting to see what the engine is doing over a period of time so the data logging is worth considering. You can establish a baseline now, drive on a flat stretch and then up a small hill and save the data. Next year you can repeat the test and compare the info.
Yes it is most valuable in comparing the effect of changes and is not a substitute for knowing how and why and carb works. How the car runs is ultimately the most important thing.
Old 01-22-2014, 01:11 PM

Last wiki edit: Electrolytic rust removal
Last journal entry: 2.75 in..3.50 posi out
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 6

So, not really a useful tool for a novice? My carb seems to run fine without any stumbles or bogs. It does seem to idle rich, but that may be a trade off for good response somewhere else. I figured it would help me make it less wasteful. Would a novice be best served by having it dyno tuned? For that money, I figured a wide band set up would serve me better in the long run. Still learning here..
Thanks
Old 01-22-2014, 02:11 PM
Carter Carb Shop, parts & serv

Last photo:

Most people have the idle circuit overly rich, I run them in until seated and back out about 1 full turn for holley, quickfuel, professional products & barry grants; maybe a turn and a half for edelbrock.
Lots of people run them out a couple turns and there is something wrong of they are that far out.
My adjustment is not good for the emissions compromised carbs but hey have no business being on a hotrod anyway.
Lots of times you can get by with less than a full turn on the holley, it depends on how well the engine breathes and ignition etc.
Old 01-22-2014, 02:26 PM
the Clever Turn Signal

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ojh View Post
I would definitely agree that your target varies with engines. This doesn't mean a novice cannot figure it out.

I have used the LM-1 on many engines including my Ford 8N tractor (which I found had the wrong jets in). It is not about trying to hit a number out of a book. Like he says, when your car hits the sweet spot you know when it is. With a wideband seeing this spot identifies a target under specific circumstances. It also helps you identify changes which move you on or off your target and you can identify the good areas and the bad areas.

What it does the best is identify the not so obvious....obvious.....Meaning, you accelerate and it stumbles and you think oh is that a rich stumble or a lean stumble....you watch it happen and you say DUH..I knew that!

Most cars I have the cable running into a header, trough the back of the hood and in through the window.

I like the O2 so much I put one in my MGB (With GM V6) but I hid it behind the radio delete panel (using magnets) with a vacuum gauge:

Old 01-23-2014, 03:58 PM

I have an Innovate LC-1 with digital gauge (about $170) installed in my'75 GMC and it works very well for seeing how the AFR is changing as you drive. It isn't that useful at idle since the AFR seems to bounce a lot, but you can definitely see what happens as my Quadrajet moves the rods up to power mode and then opens the secondaries.

Amazon Amazon

Bruce
Old 01-24-2014, 05:03 PM

Last photo:

I use an Innovate MTX-L on my Carb'd 350. I like it. About $200 I believe, came with software, o2 gauge an sensor, plus a weld-on bung. I wouldn't use it for idle tuning (depending on camshaft size) but it's great everywhere else. Super easy to hook it all up too.

Recent General Rodding Tech posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.