Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board

Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/)
-   General Rodding Tech (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/general-rodding-tech/)
-   -   to wide...to short? (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/wide-short-233853.html)

HemmiGremmie 06-11-2013 04:51 PM

to wide...to short?

Hey all.
Found a local long time rodding fella thats been narrowing rears for some 40 rears and he quoted me a price to narrow a rear.
He will supply the 9 inch rear.....narrow it to my desired width....respline axles....redrill or put 6 lug axles to fit my rims. Basically everything but brakes for 400 bucks! Im thinkin its a pretty good deal.
im trying to decide on the overall width??? Im thinkin 60 inches???
I want an overall length of around 10-12 feet.
Think 60 inches is ok? To wide? Not enough?
Ill have it fairly long and low with 26 inch rims but i dont want it so wide that im bangin mailboxes passin by cars on these backroads but dont want it a narrow deathtrap rollin over on every turn.
give me yer input. Tnx....hg

69 widetrack 06-11-2013 06:08 PM

What are you building?

HemmiGremmie 06-11-2013 07:42 PM

O sorry. Lol
v8 trike. Hg

69 widetrack 06-11-2013 08:29 PM

Okay...my motor cycle expertise is minimal so any input I would have would be a guess, sorry can't help you. I thought it might have been a raised 4 X 4 at first but then I read further....you wouldn't need to worry about knocking over garbage cans...you run over top of them...LOL

Ray

Valkyrie5.7 06-11-2013 08:55 PM

Im headed over to my dad's tomorrow. He has an old chain-drive rearend harley trike. I could grab the flange to flange measurements to give you a point of reference if that would help.

Valkyrie5.7 06-11-2013 08:57 PM

Also I could measure the overall length for a length to width ratio.

HemmiGremmie 06-12-2013 02:50 PM

i would appreciate that Valkrie5.7.

I measured a focus today and it was 66 wide and 102 wheelbase. a chevy something (newer car) was 70 wide and bout 110 on the wheelbase.

Im gonna take a stab and say i think 60-66 wide will get me were i need. HG

69 widetrack 06-12-2013 03:21 PM

As I mentioned in my previous post, my motorcycle expertise is limited at best but, what are you measuring? Are you measuring from wheel mounting surface to wheel mounting surface? 66 to 70 inches seems fairly wide and narrowing a rear end shouldn't be required, for example a 67 to 73 Mustang, Torino, Ranchero and Fairlane rear axles in the Ford 9" where between 59 1/4 and 61 1/4 inches wide. A 1973 to 1986 Ford 1/2 ton had a rear differential measuring 65 1/4 inches. A 72 to 79 Ford/Merc full size rear ends where 63 inches. If you want or require a wider rear end you may need to check out 3/4 ton vehicles or have a passenger vehicle lengthened.

It should be interesting to see what Valkyrie5.7 comes back with. I wouldn't be surprised if it comes back shorter than 55 inches in width...it might be a little hard to find today but an early Maverick or Comet might fill your bill without any narrowing.

Hope this helps.

Ray

NEW INTERIORS 06-12-2013 04:40 PM

No rules when it comes to building one,, The harley trike's are going to be narrow.... If I was going to build one and one day I plan to do just that... I will be using some fatties on the back end... I would think keeping the outside of the tires with in 60'' would be about right,,, The rear end would be cut down to fit what ever wheel you would be running,,, Being a deep wheel or one that isn't deep,,That's what will decide what the rear end face to face will be... So before I cut a rear end down,, I would have the wheels and tires I want to use..... The only reason I never built one yet was I never had the front end to do so... But I'm thinking on building a matching C-cab trike to show with my c-cab when it's done..

HG.. If you look in my Journal.. You will see one I built some one off custom fenders for..

69 widetrack 06-12-2013 05:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NEW INTERIORS (Post 1684237)
No rules when it comes to building one,, The harley trike's are going to be narrow.... If I was going to build one and one day I plan to do just that... I will be using some fatties on the back end... I would think keeping the outside of the tires with in 60'' would be about right,,, The rear end would be cut down to fit what ever wheel you would be running,,, Being a deep wheel or one that isn't deep,,That's what will decide what the rear end face to face will be... So before I cut a rear end down,, I would have the wheels and tires I want to use..... The only reason I never built one yet was I never had the front end to do so... But I'm thinking on building a matching C-cab trike to show with my c-cab when it's done..

HG.. If you look in my Journal.. You will see one I built some one off custom fenders for..

If anyone here could build one it would be Randy...and yes, check out his journal...lots of good information there.

Ray

Valkyrie5.7 06-12-2013 05:46 PM

FWIW, my dad's trike has the sportsman pro M/T's on the back on some slotted mags, so it's considerably wide overall. Total Axle length is ~40" and is ~69" from the center of the front wheel to the rear axle. I would trust what Randy has to say about it too. I don't think the rear axle length above should be taken as gospel as an ideal measurement although I do believe that when you dial in an ideal axle width, the idea that the overall length of the bike being almost 1.75 times the width will help making sure it's controllable. Just my $0.02

NEW INTERIORS 06-12-2013 05:49 PM

1 Attachment(s)
My plan's are more along these lines... A little more stretched out this this one... But it will give you the idea that's been in my head..:D

When I was around 10yrs old, I watched a guy build one just like this one and it's been in my head ever since..:thumbup:

http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/atta...1&d=1371080886

69 widetrack 06-12-2013 06:00 PM

Gotta say Randy, that would look awesome along side your C Cab. What a combination.

Ray

NEW INTERIORS 06-12-2013 06:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 69 widetrack (Post 1684265)
Gotta say Randy, that would look awesome along side your C Cab. What a combination.

Ray

Trust me.. It's a **** good thing I don't already have a front end...:mwink:

69 widetrack 06-12-2013 06:08 PM

Knowing you Randy, if you had a front end the trike would built right and be ready for paint next Friday...LOL

Ray