Widening a 34 Tudor - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-22-2010, 08:28 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

Widening a 34 Tudor

Has any seen or have info on widening a 34 Ford Tudor? I am curious if widening the body is an option to have more cabin room. Maybe 8-10"??? Would widen entire cabin and increase taper of hood, widening the rear of the hood but leaving the front standard/stock. The effect would have the looks of a chopped top. Also, keep rear fenders same width and run deeper dish wheels all tucker underneath the fender.

Haven't decided on a glass body or work from original yet, just starting to gather information and planning.

- Reynolds

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-22-2010, 09:38 PM
No substitute for cubic inches

Last photo:

I have studied on doing this to a 40 or so Ford truck and the simplest thing I've come up with would be to use 2 bodies. cut the fixer down the middle and cut the donor from the outside using the the center with additional width metal and entire trans. tunnel. Have no idea how it would turn out just have been thinking on it for a while as I would like the extra room and also would like the under hood room for a Power Stroke v-8 diesel.

Good Luck if you try it I think it would work fine but who knows.

Tony
Old 07-24-2010, 03:27 PM

I have continued to study the idea of widening the body and I think it can be done without much trouble. Who makes reproduction Fordor bodies?
Old 07-24-2010, 04:15 PM

Last wiki edit: Ford engine specifications Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by LooseScrews
Who makes reproduction Fordor bodies?

No one!!! The demand for a Fordor is about non-existent
Old 07-24-2010, 04:56 PM

There's a shop out on the east side of KC that I have been told did a custom '34 sedan build for Neil Smith (football player who is said to have financial problems), adding a pie cut to the body as you describe to yield more interior room for the big guy while leaving the hood/grill stock dimensions. I have not seen the car, but have been told that it is basically complete waiting for someone to pay the build bills.
Old 07-25-2010, 08:48 AM

I'll see if I can find some info on the car, but I am not in a position to buy.

Does anyone make any 1934 Ford Sedan steel bodies? I asked about the Fordor earlier forgetting there's the Tudor and Victoria.
Old 07-27-2010, 07:44 AM

Last journal entry: Finished
Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by LooseScrews
...I have continued to study the idea of widening the body and I think it can be done without much trouble.
Well, ANYTHING can be done...but "without much trouble"? That part I'll quibble with.

If you are a seasoned veteran of body modification, metal shaping, or fiberglass work, then by all means this might be an interesting challenge. But in my estimation, this could end in disaster for the novice.

Ford Junkie has suggested using two bodies and basically cutting each so that you get two halves that are both a little more than half. Unless I'm mistaken, about the '40 truck cab or the 34 Ford, this will NOT come out right. What you need to keep in mind is that the roof, cowl and trunk on virtually every car is crowned in the center. That is, the metal is curved so that there is one high point...and that high point runs down the center of the car.

If you take two bodies and slice them apart vertically, there is no way you can put them back together to make a WIDER configuration without having duplicate crowns or the crown being off center. You can, however, do this and make the car NARROWER. You just can't do it and make the car wider.

There is ONE potential solution using the two body approach, and that would be to use one body just to make a center section, let's say 12 " wide with the crown of the body smack in the middle of the section. Then from the other body, cut two equal slabs off each side of the body with, lets say, 4 extra inches on each half, to give you a total of 8" additional width. The three pieces still won't match up evenly at all points on the car, but they would probably be close enough that with a lot of metal shaping, you could get things lined up.

This two-body solution would be very expensive however, and probably won't save you much time and effort in terms of body and metal work. From my limited experience, the only way to do this is to make the cut at the center of the body, slide each side outward an equal distance, and then shape a clean steel center section which follows the contour of the original crown exactly. Then weld the two sides and center section together and do some reinforcement to hold things in place.

Oh, and this all assumes the builder is an excellent welder who won't warp and oil can the daylights out of the body panels when they are welded back together.

BTW, much of this also applies to widening a fiberglass body in terms of maintaining the correct looking crown down the center of the body.

There may be other ways to skin this cat than the one I have suggested. But they all need to take the crown effect into consideration. If they don't, I would be highly suspect of the outcome.

Recent Body - Exterior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.